-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I really like Texas, but hunting here is tough unless you want to pay.

Expat

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
I have to say that Apalachiacola sounds vaguely like home...Been looking at some stuff around Gilchrist county.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Boys, retirement is weighing heavily on my mind today. Mrs. Tide will be hanging up her gunbelt as of August 1, 2012. I'll be doing the same on August 1, 2013.

Pat's recent post about the gulf coast of Texas has me thinking, and a year or so ago, Texas Rick and I had a healthy conversation about the East side of Texas.

Florida is what Florida is, but mainly, I care about not freezing my rollers off in the winter time. Then I want to hunt and fish. Will probably pick up some other kind of piddly job, as I'll be 41 when I lay this one down.

I'd most like to have somewhere between 10 and 40 acres and peace and quiet.

Restless as crud today. Saw some acreage around Bell, Florida and Starke, guess they are both in Gilchrist county.

Anybody got ideas further?

Texas is the only choice...Florida has beeen invaded by Blue-hairs. I don't think the Mrs. would like to be lumped into that category. laugh

Besides, Texas is, well, TEXAS!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I was just in Florida... thought I'd died and gone to hell.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
From a tax point of view Florida taxes you a lot more than Texas. Both of them have no state income tax but Florida milks you pretty good for property taxes, and with the hurricanes of the last few years the property insurance rates have gone through the roof. Florida ranks 31st in the nation in tax burden, Texas is 45th.

http://www.taxfoundation.org/taxdata/show/27063.html

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by ExpatFromOK

Expat

That's what I've always heard and why I don't consider Texas to be a retirement option if hunting is important unless you have enough money to buy Rancho Grande and have your own spread.

From the OP's opening post I sort of doubted that, being able to buy Rancho Grande that is. Me, I'd endure some harsher weather just for the more available outdoor opportunities.

Biker

Last edited by BikerRN; 01/09/12. Reason: typo
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mexicans or Cubans

220 Swift still king.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'll never find a place to retire... I want to retire where I don't have to have the friggin government in my face, and robbing every penny I make...

I want to spend my remaining years in life...taking care of my fellow veterans in the medical world...and thanking God for the life he has given me and the time on this planet...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
We don't get many hurricanes in Texas if that matters.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Come to Texas.

I like west of Houston better than east.

But east is not bad either, cause it's Texas

Snake

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BikerRN
Originally Posted by ExpatFromOK

Expat

That's what I've always heard and why I don't consider Texas to be a retirement option if hunting is important unless you have enough money to buy Rancho Grande and have your own spread.

From the OP's opening post I sort of doubted that, being able to buy Rancho Grande that is. Me, I'd endure some harsher weather just for the more available outdoor opportunities.

Biker

Hunting in TX is great and you don't have to own a ton of land to hunt some here. My buddy has 40 acres and he shoots pigs and deer off it every year. Two issues though his property is situated "just right" and I'm not inclined to have the expense, taxes and workload that come with owning even 40 acres if I don't live on it.

Expat

Last edited by ExpatFromOK; 01/09/12.

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
C
ccd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Unfortunately Texas will most likely have a state income tax within the next decade. Demographics are dooming this state to Dem leadership in the near future, as are court drawn districts. There was a major push by the big state papers to push for an income tax after Bullock passed, and the Dems still had some control in the legislature. That and most of our recent wave of transplants have been overwhelmingly Dems, unlike what happened during the 1980's and 1990's.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
'Tween those two I think I'd go Florida panhandle. South Florida?........... No way.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There's a whole lot of mis-information on this thread, all the way around.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by victoro
We don't get many hurricanes in Texas if that matters.

Right...only on the coast. smile

As an aside, I live 415 miles from Pensacola...830 from El Paso.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
yep - it's farther from where you live in SE Texas to El Paso than it is from El Paso to Los Angeles,CA (approximately 820 miles from LAX to El Paso International Airport). El Paso is roughly the midway point for people traveling from Southern California to Houston on I-10.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A lot of great things to be said for Texas (I think Texas is a great state), but if the invasion from the south continues to go unabated, there are going to be increasing problems with corruption coming in from Mexico with the drug cartels and the illegal immigrants (yes, there is a certain level of corruption associated with just being where you aren't supposed to be and feeling like you have a right to thumb your nose at the law just because you feel like you're "entitled"). Corruption among government officials and law enforcement along the Texas side of the border is already being witnessed (and apparently widespread in some counties).

If a full-blown civil war breaks out in Mexico (and the water in the pot is simmering even now), Texas is going to be even more inundated with illegals than it is now. Being on the border with Mexico is the one downside I see with Texas. Texas is a large state, but it still shares a border with Mexico, and if things got really bad in Mexico, I don't think the Hill Country and Houston or even the DFW area would be immune from the impacts. There was a drug cartel (Zetas) killing in Houston in November that gave the sense that the cartels may be getting a little bolder on this side of the border - a truck driver who was both a police informant and a drug courier was gunned down by four Zetas (at least three of which were Mexican nationals) on the street while he was under police surveillance (see link below). In Texas, you're that much closer to the source of that type of violence and corruption.

Zetas attack in Houston area

Last edited by Ramblin_Razorback; 01/09/12. Reason: added more info and link
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Wetbacks ain't roachs. They don't creep across the border and stop at the first food source. Statistically, Texas ain't getting any more "Mexican" than the rest of the country, probably less. Of course, Texas WAS Mexico not all that long ago and the Mexican culture is strong here.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
I already have a place in South Florida. I want me some Hill Country!

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (1minute, 222Sako, 22250rem, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 16penny, 55 invisible), 2,677 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,913
Posts18,498,314
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.