Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Ok fellows,
I have started looking into going on a Dall Sheep hunt. I was wanting to hear what outfitters you guys have used in the past, and ones that you would stay away from. I would like to hunt them in Alaska, because I always pictured myself hunting them there. I am 25, and my wife and I decided it would be better for me to do this before we have children.
Thanks in advance
Eli

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I go back for my third ram, it will be in the NWT.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
J
J
I have hunted Dall's twice. Once in NWT with Makenzie Mountain Outfitters and once in Alaska with Alaskan Perimeter Expeditions. Both were great hunts. Numerous differences between the two. Cost these days is a factor . NWT is definitely more expensive but outfitters have exclusive areas so there is not outside interference. Alaska can have more competition ,although we did not have any in the brooks range. Do your research for sure.

What I did for my first sheep hunt was attend the Sheep Show in Reno. I felt for the money I was about to spend I wanted to meet the outfitters I was going to drop my money on. It also set me up for other sheep hunts since I built relationships with other outfitters so when the time came(and it does come) I knew who I wanted to book with. We also have the Eastern Chapter of the Wild Sheep Foundation in Pa. We have a convention in Maryland in February. The point is check things out,talk to as many people as you can. Your headed for what can be a great experiance.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I, too, hunted with Alaskan Perimeter Expeditions In the Brooks Range. I did the "Spike Camp" hunt, and had a ball.
http://www.alaskanperimeter.com/alaskanperimeter.com/ENTER.html

He changed his website, email, etc since I hunted with him. This link will give you a starting point.

Last edited by yukonal; 01/09/12.

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Proud NRA Life Member
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Salmonella

Yikes! eek

Those are toads!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
NWT is hard to beat for Dall. Alaska seems to have the draw and is what immediately comes to mind when I think of Dall Sheep but the better hunting is in NWT. Lots of guys to choose from but Bonnet Plume, Nahani, Arctic Red and Stan Stevens are hard to top. I hunted with Stan this year on a combo hunt and had a great time.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Yikes! eek

Those are toads!

And all killed in 2011.

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

Those are amazing rams!

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I would lookat NWT with Nahani Butte Outfitters. Although I have NO experience hunting with them my research has me convinced they would be where I would go. Good luck.

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks for all the help guys. There is quite a bit of information to go through.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by joelbiltz
I would lookat NWT with Nahani Butte Outfitters. Although I have NO experience hunting with them my research has me convinced they would be where I would go. Good luck.

That's one Helluva good choice right there.

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
TNsavageman,

How much do you want to spend?

Chet

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Less than 20, but I just want a quality hunt. Ideally between 10-15

J
J
TNsavageman,
For that dollar amount you have pretty much ruled out the NWT and need to look at Alaska. Most but not all hunts will have a charter flight into the hunt area so make sure you budget for that too.

My NWT hunt was in 2001 and my Alaska hunt was 2010. I purposely booked the Alaska trip to see Alaska not because it was less money. I was able to buy the hunt at auction and did save afew bucks by doing that,plus I helped our organization out. I don't know how far you are from the baltimore area where our chapter fundraiser is,but I still think the best way to get info is to talk to people first hand. If you would want any other info pm me. I would also be happy to discuss some of the details and differences.

By the way the 1367 in my name is my GrandSlam number, all taken in between the two hunts referenced above.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
with your price limit I tend to agree your most obvious choice is Alaska....if you are willing, in shape, and can drop things at the last minute for a cancellation hunt it would be a good option for you... I know someone that went with a very solid outfitter 2 yrs ago and shot a Stone for 14K/ booked my Stone hunt last July for an Sept hunt, had a friend of mine looking for someone to take his Dall hunt last year in NWT, 10K to the outfitter and $2500 to him prob would have sent you sheep hunting....remember someone posting a dall hunt in Alaska here last year for sig reduced price.....point is there are always other ways, the reduced price hunts are not easy to find but they are out there....you just have to research and network with folks..... goood luck

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks for the information fellows! I appreciate all the advise that you have given.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 222Sako, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 61 invisible), 1,752 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,124
Posts18,523,002
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.