Hop To
#6010135 01/06/12
H
Hubert Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
There is a gunshop near here and has been business for 20 years. they have had a variety of Gunsmiths work there,none of which ever impressed me.

Well I have a Mdl 12 winchester that I needed to change the barrel on. I took it in thefirst part of December with a promise of having it done by christmas..I called and called after the first of the year to get it to no avai.

today I went in to the shop and picked it up undone,when asking why the owner said they coulden't get the barrel off the receiver, this is a takedown. I showed him how to get it off in about 10 seconds, I thought he was going to faint from the look on his face, it was priceless. He then asked if I still wanted him to change it. I said no of course. grin

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Same stuff happened to me twenty years ago. I asked for a set of bases for my gun, I got my bases with a pop can shim. Now I am my own smith.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Gosh Darn. Last week I bought all the Gunsmith's Kinks Books and now I are one!!

Are Miller cans thinner than the old non-pull tab Rainier cans?

Survivor of the 13th Original Colony, I escaped on December 17, 1968.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Now you are one what, a kink? grin

Just an observation on Kinks. There's always more than one way to skin a cat, which works best depends on who is doing the skinning. In other words which kink for a particular task depends on tools, skill level, and the way the "kinker" approaches the task. I've had some work very well, others that didn't fit my usual methods not so much.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I thought the Kinks were an awesome rock-n-roll band back in the day. grin

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I thought the Kinks were an awesome rock-n-roll band back in the day. grin

I think you are on to something.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Now you are one what, a kink? grin

Just an observation on Kinks. There's always more than one way to skin a cat, which works best depends on who is doing the skinning. In other words which kink for a particular task depends on tools, skill level, and the way the "kinker" approaches the task. I've had some work very well, others that didn't fit my usual methods not so much.

Yea I was afraid to buy the first volumn way back when they came out, thought it was something that Larry Flynt had put together.

RE methods, yea there is a bunch of junk in the books but there are a few suitable methods hidden in all the pages. Just keep the skinning knife sharp!

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Most "smiths" in my area simply put new parts on. Heven help them if they need to make something. I learned long ago that I can do most of the work on a gun and if I can't figure it out there is usually a book - or today a web page - that will tell me how.I have found that most of the 'warnings" are more libality statements. Besides it's fun.

I will hunt everywhere before I die!
D
D
i live in wa state and need a good smith for shotgun and rifle stuff, any advice?

I hunt everying
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
More really good smiths in Wash State than about anywhere.

IC B3

L
LGB Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
The Mod 12 requires special tools and reamers to fit up another barrel from another gun. When changing out a barrel you need to have a headspace gage and the reamers to fit up a new headspace ring in the receiver. There is some adjustment on the old barrel, but most are not easy to fit on another gun. We had all the necessary tools and this was not a time consuming job. Try to find a special shop to do this change over to be safe. I dought the shop where you went had the proper tools or the know how. Look for some of the older gunsmiths and ask if they have tools and reamers to fit a Mod. 12 extra barrel. I wish I had a copy of the original shop manual for gunsmithing on these old shotguns. Look around on the internet and see if someone has a copy to view.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

437 members (219 Wasp, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 22kHornet, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 16penny, 51 invisible), 2,480 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,625
Posts18,492,843
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.