-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I seem to recall reading that bugs are attracted to lighter colors more so than dark? Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm looking for another tent and have the option of green or yellow. Do you think the yellow would attract more bugs than the green?

The tent will have bug netting, but its hard to sleep when you have 1000 bugs between the fly and netting...

I'll primarily be using this tent in Alaska when the bugs are out...

GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Yes , I had a prototype tipi out that I called the bomb pop, it was gold and brown. There must have been 50 flies on the gold section and only a couple on the brown. I have seen it with other colors as well, although not to the same degree.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i've had experience with yellow jackets coming to light colors. bad thing is i'm deathly allergic to bee sting.

My idea of being organic is taking a dump in the woods.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
There are a lot of "bugs" out and about in the world. For the important blood feeding insect Families Culicidae (mosquitoes), Simuliidae (black flies), Cerotopogonidae (punkies or no-see-ums), and Tabanidae (deer and horse flies) that you want to avoid attracting, the color of your tent probably matters less than the color of your clothes. I would get the green tent. Yellow is very attractive to some non-biting insects that can be a nuisance if they get in around , on, and in the tent in quantity. I would suggest treating the insect netting of any tent you get with a permethrin clothing treatment product as the the punkies can crawl right through the mesh ( I have seen them crawl through wool socks to bite ankles). The permethrin has "hot foot" repellency.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Is permethrin safe to use on synthetic fabrics? I hadn't thought of that. Thats a great idea.

The majority of the bugs will be black flies or 'white socks' and mosquitos which can't get through the mesh. My current tent is a light tan/green and the amount of bugs that get trapped between the fly and screen is unreal. I wasn't sure if it was due to the color or not.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Heading to Quetico in June when the black flies are out. Noticed last year that they avoided white clothes. I'll be decked out like a mountain goat this year.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bugs come to certain yellows like a magnet. I got rid of a bright yellow tent used for spring and summer because it attracted every bug withing a square mile.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have a bright yellow Polaris ATV. If I'm around soggy ground and mosquito's, They'll cover it up. It was so bad once that it looked brown instead of yellow. I'm of the impression it's the Yellow, not only the light color.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
In my experience, bugs go for yellow most of all. I use yellow coffee can lids smeared with " Tanglefoot " to attract and snare the critters.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I have a yellow camera case. When its in my boat it gets covered with bugs.

Think big flower..

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbh4rIC-4vI

Speaking of bugs, I'm going to try permethrin spray on my hiking gear. Sounds like you could spray a tent also.

TDL Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
For what it's worth, the guys at AK Raft and Kayak told me they don't recommend yellow rafts for the same reason.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (Aviator, 35, AnthonyB, 01Foreman400, 9 invisible), 1,439 guests, and 780 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,593
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.