-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Knew this was probably going to happen, even though folks approved it by a landslide. Looks like there's nothing that can "legally" be done to protect ourselves from Sharia.....

[b][color:#3333FF]Link...![/color][/b]

DENVER (Reuters) - A federal appeals court upheld an injunction against a voter-approved ban on Islamic law in Oklahoma on Tuesday, saying it likely violated the U.S. Constitution by discriminating against religion.

A three-member panel of the Denver-based U.S. Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals ruled unanimously that the rights of plaintiff Muneer Awad, a Muslim man living in Oklahoma City, likely would be violated if the ban on Sharia law takes effect.

The decision upholds the ruling of a lower federal court.

"While the public has an interest in the will of the voters being carried out ... the public has a more profound and long-term interest in upholding an individual's constitutional rights," the appeals court said in a 37-page written decision.

The Washington, D.C.-based Council on American-Islamic Relations welcomed the ruling, calling it "a victory for the Constitution and for the right of all Americans to freely practice their faith."

Oklahoma's "Save Our State Amendment," which was approved by 70 percent of state voters in 2010, bars Oklahoma state courts from considering or using Sharia law.

The lawsuit challenging the measure was brought by the American Civil Liberties Union on behalf of Awad, who is director of the Oklahoma chapter of CAIR.

A federal judge in Oklahoma City issued a court order in November 2010 barring the measure from taking effect while the case is under review, finding a substantial likelihood that Awad would prevail on the merits.

The Council said the Oklahoma amendment is among 20 similar proposed laws introduced in state legislatures nationwide.

Defenders of the amendment say they want to prevent foreign laws in general, and Islamic Sharia law in particular, from overriding state or U.S. laws.

But foes of the Oklahoma measure, also called State Question 755, have argued that it stigmatizes Islam and its adherents and violates the U.S. Constitution's First Amendment prohibition against the government favoring one religion over another.

State Senator Anthony Sykes, one of the measure's sponsors, called the decision an attempt "to silence the voice of 70 percent of Oklahoma voters. At some point we have to decide whether this is a country of, by and for the judges, or of, by and for the people."

Opponents also say it could nullify wills or legal contracts between Muslims because they incorporate by reference specific elements of Islamic prophetic traditions.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Saw that..this isn't going to end well.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
As Thomas Jefferson said
�When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.�

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Looks like there's nothing that can "legally" be done to protect ourselves from Sharia.....
===============

Sure there is. Correctly write the law and not fill it with egregious first year law student errors.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
How is this different than federal law against polygamy within the Morman faith?

The end of democracy, and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I guess the law bans polygamy,..not "Morman polygamy"

I'm sure they'll work on it a second time and hopefully get the language correct.

However correct it seems to be, there will be some piss-ant somewhere that will object and tie it up in court again. I guess that's a given these days with any law that gets passed.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It would be WISE to put your folks doing the next draft in touch with Tom Horne (Az. State AG) and John Hupenthal (Az Supt Education), have them read their work.

Their legislative conquest of "Raza Studies" in Arizona schools is no doubt PACKED with the RIGHT "Legal Language", and runs on a parallel track.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So if a State legislature actually enacted a component of Sharia law it would not be a violation of the U.S. Constitution's First Amendment prohibition against the government favoring one religion over another?

I don't get it.

Sharia law, also known as Islamic law, is the moral code and religious law of Islam.

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Can't single it out.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by isaac
Looks like there's nothing that can "legally" be done to protect ourselves from Sharia.....
===============

Sure there is. Correctly write the law and not fill it with egregious first year law student errors.

That's kinda what I thought the solution to this "problem" was gonna have to be.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There are many remnants Judeo-Christian law in the Common Law, but obviously none which prescribes religious behavior. Some of the secular Hebrew tenets are the same as those in Islam.

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by jackfish
So if a State legislature actually enacted a component of Sharia law it would not be a violation of the U.S. Constitution's First Amendment prohibition against the government favoring one religion over another?

I don't get it.

Sharia law, also known as Islamic law, is the moral code and religious law of Islam.

BUT, should NOT be incorporated into civil code!
Mark

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (1minute, 1234, 1badf350, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 58 invisible), 2,476 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,560
Posts18,491,767
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.