Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I recently acquired my first 22 LR.

Any kinds of 22 LR cycle / feed better than others? Better accuracy? No misfires?

In short, I'm looking for high quality 22 LR ammo. Any suggestions?

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Forgot to mention, it's for a Rem 597.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Most rimfires prefer a certain brand/bullet weight/configuration. I don't thing that you can predict which one works best in your gun.
I'd but 3-5 boxes of dirrerent brands and experiment till I found what the gun likes.

NRA Patron
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Joelkdouglas: I have had rather good luck with the Federal hollowpoint bulk pack ammunition in my semi-auto 22's.
Both their bulk pack ammo and the red 400 cartons of American Eagle cycle and shoot well (accuracy wise) for me.
Now this negative report - I am a BIG Remington fan but over the last several years the Remington hollow-point bulk pack ammunition has just performed POORLY in a host of semi-auto Rifles and pistols that I have personally observed.
Not only stove-pipe type jams but frequent (2 or 3 out of 100) fail to fires have been observed by me with this ammo.
Again "I" am the biggest Remington fan out there but their bulk pack hollow-point ammo is just not up to par these days!
Like another poster mentioned YOUR Rifle needs be tested with any particular ammo but I see almost universal happiness with the Federal bulk pack ammo in semi-auto's.
Best of luck to you.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
+1 on the Rem bulk pack "Golden Bullet" ammo. Lots of failures to fire in my semi-autos. Not so much in lever actions with a heavy hammer strike. Also - that ammo blew the extractor out of my Rem 597 when it was pretty new. It was fixed under warranty for free, but I just use that ammo in my "non-semi-auto" firearms.

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have some bulk pack "333" ammo. When used in a browning gold medallion every 2 or 3 out of 5 had to be lightly tapped out of the chamber with a cleaning rod. Just recently bought a 452 CZ American and it shoots great with absolutely no extraction problems. Still don't know why the Browning didn't like that ammo. If I had never shot it in anything but the one gun I would have thought the ammo was worthless. Just shows the trial and error that is sometimes necessary.

Jim

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
From what I have tried, all Remington .22 ammo has QC issues with lots of duds. Even .22 LR Standard Velocity ammo for target shooting is so dreadful that pistol bullseye shooters have given up on it.

If you don't mind buying Mexican ammo, the Aguilla standard velocity, sub-sonics and HV ammo has been great and the price is right.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
for me the best results for an auto = cci in high or hyper vol. stuff

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
High quality ammo?
CCI mini-mags and Standard for US ammo.
Blazer, Fed Lightning and most Winchester offerings are ok for plinking.

IMHO, CCI Pistol Match, Green Tag and Select don't reliably deliver much better groups than Standard does anymore. Even if they do, they're generally inferior to comparably priced European ammunition in the $6 per 50/$12 per 100 price range.
If you want better accuracy than CCI Standard, you usually have to go to foreign ammo.
SK Standard Plus, Wolf Match Target, low end Eley, low end RWS, low end Lapua, etc are all good choices.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
CCI Mini Mags

IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Poodleshooter
High quality ammo?
CCI mini-mags and Standard for US ammo.
Blazer, Fed Lightning and most Winchester offerings are ok for plinking.

IMHO, CCI Pistol Match, Green Tag and Select don't reliably deliver much better groups than Standard does anymore. Even if they do, they're generally inferior to comparably priced European ammunition in the $6 per 50/$12 per 100 price range.
If you want better accuracy than CCI Standard, you usually have to go to foreign ammo.
SK Standard Plus, Wolf Match Target, low end Eley, low end RWS, low end Lapua, etc are all good choices.
problem being most factory auto loader won't cycle standard vol. ammo.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My 10/22T will eat CCI SV and Wolf target

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Winchester Power Point is often noted for accuracy and consistency. I've used it with good results. I've had good luck with the bulk packed Federal mentioned above, as well as their Champion 510 for target shooting. I use the 510 in my Anschutz target rifle for small bore silouette.

The Peters ammo in the brown boxes has worked good for blasting ammo, and was unbelievably accurate in a S&W model 18 I owned for awhile.

Winchester Wildcat, at least the older stuff, shot pretty well, especially for blasting cans and rocks....

Last edited by tominboise; 12/22/11.

Regards,

Tom
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Plinkin ammo = what ever bulk cycles most consistantly in your gun.

Squirrel and Rabiit ammo = MiniMags, more consistant in a wider varity of guns than any bulk I've tried.

"Largish" Varmints = Velocitors

Ammo to avoid = Remington and Stingers

Can't help with target work.

CB

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
For general use I've had the best success with the Federal ammo, either bulk pack or in small boxes. A close second would be the CCI ammo, except Stingers which I've not liked. Winchester is generally good stuff, but some of my guns don't do well with it as they do with Federal or CCI. I don't buy Remington at all.
The most accurate is CCI Green Label, in my guns.
For hunting largish critters I prefer the heaviest bullets I can get, and have had good results with Federal HP and CCI Velocitors.
I suggest you get a box or two of as many different kinds of ammo as you can find, then see what your gun likes best, then stock up on that. It lasts forever if stored cool and dry.
It will be a terrible thing to have to shoot up all that ammo at the range, but be brave and hang in there. No sacrifice is too great to accomplish the mission.

Think direction first, then velocity.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by joelkdouglas

Any kinds of 22 LR cycle / feed better than others? Better accuracy? No misfires?

Federal Automatch 22LR (AM22) 40 grain target ammo designed for autoloading rifles. I get a few boxes every trip to Wally World. It works excellent in my 10/22s. Although I still use Win Power Points for sniping squirrels.

Avoid all Remington rimfire ammo! Nothing but dirty smokers and duds.

"Then join in hand, brave Americans all!.....By uniting we stand, by dividing we fall"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by US_Patriot

Federal Automatch 22LR (AM22) 40 grain target ammo designed for autoloading rifles. I get a few boxes every trip to Wally World. It works excellent in my 10/22s. Although I still use Win Power Points for sniping squirrels.

It's not designed for autoloading rifles, IT'S MARKETED for autoloading rifles.

CB

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Chris Brice
It's not designed for autoloading rifles

How do you know this ? You may be right....but some proof would be nice.

Originally Posted by Chris Brice
IT'S MARKETED for autoloading rifles.

Yes it is and very much so.

Federal Ammunition offers more than a dozen choices for 22LR from a long list of rimfire ammo. The combination of components used in the Automatch 22 make it function well in autoloaders.

The OP wanted recommendations on reliable ammo for his Rem597 autoloader. Federal AM22 is a perfect fit.

I have used many brands and types of ammo in my 10/22s over many years and have switced to AM22. It has given me excellent performance.

Link to Federal 22 ammo:
http://www.federalpremium.com/products/rimfire.aspx

Last edited by US_Patriot; 01/12/12. Reason: Spell check

"Then join in hand, brave Americans all!.....By uniting we stand, by dividing we fall"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For reliability and general hunting CCI mini-mags.

"From what I have tried, all Remington .22 ammo has QC issues with lots of duds." BINGO

Regarding the Remington crap; their subsonic ammo will often go supersonic. And I will add that it (Remington .22 rimfire) has been crap for over 20 years.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by joelkdouglas

When I want high quality ammo, I get CCI mini-mags cool

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1936M71, 1badf350, 1lesfox, 56 invisible), 2,582 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,931
Posts18,498,662
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.