Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by rsilvers
300 AAC Blackout UMC is the #1 most popular rifle cartridge at MidwayUSA - there is no 223/5.56mm load - or any cartridge for that matter, that is higher ranked.

Simply because there are only 4 ammo options available at Midwayusa for the .300 blackout, while the .223 has 20x that and even 6.8spc has nearly 8x that.

I think it's funny that you don't realize how transparent your smoke and mirror show is to most people.

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
28lx: Did you have an adjustable gas tube on your Whisper? In my experience with the AR Whispers, you can't count on reliable functioning throughout the entire range of intended bullet weights without the adjustable tube. Makes sense, and I'd bet that the BO is the same.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Originally Posted by Mesabi
28lx: Did you have an adjustable gas tube on your Whisper? In my experience with the AR Whispers, you can't count on reliable functioning throughout the entire range of intended bullet weights without the adjustable tube. Makes sense, and I'd bet that the BO is the same.

No, that was true in the past with Whisper(R) or 300-221. That is one of the things that 300 BLK AAC uppers and Remington ammo solved.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Originally Posted by Foxbat
Simply because there are only 4 ammo options available at Midwayusa for the .300 blackout, while the .223 has 20x that

Of course. That goes without saying. No one would think that 300 BLK all loads combined outsells 223 all loads combined.

I think it's funny that you don't realize how transparent your smoke and mirror show is to most people.

Not sure what you mean.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Because it's just silly to keep cherry picking anecdotal information that is either purposefully biased or has no meaning whatsoever.

Why show a Midwayusa item search sorted by "popularity" unless you're claiming it means something?

I doubt "popularity" equates to sales at Midwayusa.com, as right now the 2nd most popular "brass" on Midway's site is:

"Speer Empty Shot Capsules 38 Special Box of 50 Speer Empty Shot Capsules 38 Special Box of 50"

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?&sortby=1&itemsperpage=20&newcategorydimensionid=5758

I'm willing to bet .38spl shot shells aren't the 2nd best selling type of brass at Midwayusa, so I don't think their search engine means what you think it means.

Another example was this chart you put up a few days ago.

Now if I, or most people, looking for a true comparison were to compare selected cartridges for 300 yd energy, I would attempt to compare apples to apples as much as possible.

Unless of course I was trying to sell a product and lead the viewer a certain direction.

At 300 yards, bullet BC is going to be a major factor. So it's curious that you would choose a relatively high BC bullet (and a match bullet to boot) for the .300BO and then compare it to a small for caliber (and correspondingly low BC) bullet for the 6.8spc. Then add a note that the 6.8spc round shown may exceed SAAMI max for the 6.8.

This gives the impression that not only is the .300BO and 6.8spc kissing cousins at 300 yards in the energy department, but that the 6.8 is straining to get there. Nothing biased there, no sir....

Of course a fair comparison would take a known SAAMI standard 6.8spc round like the Hornady 120gr SST, with a comparable BC to the .300BO match ammo shown and get a little more apples to apples comparison. But if we do that, suddenly they're not kissing cousins anymore, the 6.8spc round then becomes a 300 yard round with an energy of 923lbs compared to the .300BO round having 690lbs of energy.

In fact, no Hornady factory ammo for the 6.8spc goes below 860lbs at 300 yards.

http://www.hornady.com/store/6.8mm-SPC-120-GR-SST/
http://www.hornady.com/store/6.8mm-SPC-110-gr-V-MAX/
http://www.hornady.com/store/6.8mm-SPC-110-gr-BTHP-with-Cannelure/

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I see the BO as a sub 200 yard 30 caliber "deer getter" when using supersonic loads and good bullets. Some reports on average (Poor) accuracy have got me scratching my head however. I am not sure the formula for making this cartridge shoot well has been worked out by a lot of manufacturers. Its pretty new, I like the idea from the standpoint that it uses standard magazines and bolt heads as well as that the upper/barrel would last forever.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I was looking on Ruger's web site last night, catching up on their new "American Rifle"...which is interesting.. although my jury is still out on all of these new rifle made mainly out of recycled 2 litre pop bottles...

what did catch my eye on their sight tho, for kids starting out, was their little compact model with the 16.5 inch barrel and shortened stock... was it is chambered in the 7.62 x 39...

for those that don't handload, that would be a pretty darn well balanced rifle for kids and deer hunting...ammo would be cheap for a lot of range time and practice...

if one hand loads, its available in 223, and 243 which could be good enough for deer hunting..

kid gets bigger, the stock can always be replaced with a regular one easily..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Because it's just silly to keep cherry picking anecdotal information that is either purposefully biased or has no meaning whatsoever.

Why show a Midwayusa item search sorted by "popularity" unless you're claiming it means something?

It does mean something - that there are a lot of people looking up the 300 BLK UMC ammo on Minday - more people than look up any other load of any caliber.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Another example was this chart you put up a few days ago.

Now if I, or most people, looking for a true comparison were to compare selected cartridges for 300 yd energy, I would attempt to compare apples to apples as much as possible.

Unless of course I was trying to sell a product and lead the viewer a certain direction.

At 300 yards, bullet BC is going to be a major factor. So it's curious that you would choose a relatively high BC bullet (and a match bullet to boot) for the .300BO and then compare it to a small for caliber (and correspondingly low BC) bullet for the 6.8spc. Then add a note that the 6.8spc round shown may exceed SAAMI max for the 6.8.

This gives the impression that not only is the .300BO and 6.8spc kissing cousins at 300 yards in the energy department, but that the 6.8 is straining to get there. Nothing biased there, no sir....

I used the 85-TSX for 6.8 because in the past when I have used the more common 110-115 grain bullets, 6.8 people accused me of not using the hottest load. They liked the 85 the best, so I put that in specifically to use their hot load.

The pressure of that 6.8 load does exceed SAAMI specs and the 55,000 psi of the 300 BLK loads.

The 125 grain 300 BLK load I used - it does not even have an especially high BC for a 30 caliber bullet. If I wanted to bias 300 BLK, I could have used a 30 caliber bullet that was a boat-tail and higher BC.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
While the BC data for the 300 BLK was actually measured while at 300 BLK velocities, I think 6.8 BC values come from a 270 or faster rifle.

So there is probably a greater energy difference than shown, in favor of 300 BLK.

IC B3

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Some reports on average (Poor) accuracy have got me scratching my head however. I am not sure the formula for making this cartridge shoot well has been worked out by a lot of manufacturers

Not sure what you are referring to, but the results have been overwhelmingly excellent accuracy. Daniel Defense reported more accuracy than their 5.56mm rifles.

I even shot it at 600 yards and hit the 1/2 MOA X-ring.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My CMMG upper was pretty mediocre (3.5MOA) with Rem factory 220 gr loads, although I have not tried Supersonic in it, yet. It did better (~1.75MOA) with 220 gr MK handloads, although I'd still like to see under 1 MOA. I still need to tinker a bit more with the handloads. Or maybe I just need to get a Wilson or Noveske barrel smile

What primer and powder do you think is best for accurate subsonic loads? I have 1680 and Lil'Gun powder on hand.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
While the BC data for the 300 BLK was actually measured while at 300 BLK velocities, I think 6.8 BC values come from a 270 or faster rifle.

So there is probably a greater energy difference than shown, in favor of 300 BLK.

Since Hornady and SSA listed those energy and BC ratings specific to those 6.8spc loads, and the Barnes 85 gr TSX is designed and marketed specific to the 6.8spc, I would bet you're wrong.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Think of the 300 AAC as a 30/30 on a modern platform, i.e. a nice 200yd deer rifle for a kid. Nothing wrong with that, but where it really shines is as a supressed rig shooting the heavies.

I don't see how the 300 aac gains anything over the .223 for a youth rifle, and really it is less flexible in that roll.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Most 30 cal bullets are made for 308-300 mag velocities. Shooting a 30 cal bullet at 2000 FPS muzzle doesn't give you much range for reliable expansion. 100 yards or under, OK. Bullet manufacturers will have to "buy in" to the BO and come out with super soft BO bullets for the round to effective IMO. I really don't see this as a viable hunting round but for shooting targets with your suppressor, I'm sure it's a blast.

I think the 6.8 SPC has much better hunting potential with bullets designed specifically for it's velocity parameters.

Last edited by scottfromdallas; 01/07/12.

Scott
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Barnes is releasing a bullet this spring for the BO. It has its pluses but for a man that likes to keep it simple there is really nothing that the BO can do that the 5.56 cannot do. Same with the 6.8 there is nothing you can kill with a 6.8 that I would not shoot in complete confidence with a 5.56 and the right bullet. On the other hand "who cares" as gun loonies are going to buy what they like and then argue until the last breath that your cartridge sucks and mine is great. Again "who cares" Foxbat's 6.8, RSilvers BO, the 7.62 x 39 or the ubiquitous 5.56 are about the same, except that the 6.8 is awful because its a .277 caliber and everyone knows that .277 calibers suck... whistle

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Since Hornady and SSA listed those energy and BC ratings specific to those 6.8spc loads..., I would bet you're wrong.

Could be. But it needs to be checked.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
the 6.8 crowd doth protest to much me thinks...

To "protest too much" is to insist so strongly about something not being true that people begin to suspect maybe it is true.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Nice. Is that the same bullet as the TTSX sold as a component?

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

513 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1234, 10gaugeman, 17Fan, 60 invisible), 2,380 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,323
Posts18,487,458
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.