Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
lately I have been wanting a non bulky jacket that is non bulky in the arms but still is a pretty warm coat suitable down to at least 10 degrees or so. any ideas on that?? just bought a cabelas wooltimate jacket that I will test out.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i have one of the micro berber fleece jackets. pretty warm.

My idea of being organic is taking a dump in the woods.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Layer a down vest and light fleece or merino sweater from First Lite.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Non bulky is subjective. Shells like army goretex fit nicely, but weigh alot. Down wears fatter, but compresses in your ruck when you are moving and weighs hardly anything.

Mountain Hardwear Subzero
North Face Nuptse

Last edited by conrad101st; 01/13/12.

Conrad101st
1/503 Inf., 2nd ID (90-91)
3/327 Inf., 101st ABN (91-92)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not sure a single garment will do it all, or at least I haven't found it.
Most will say layering is the secret. I've had luck with a combo: base layer, shirt, down vest with fleece outer jacket(that Cabelas jacket will work). Add a lightweight rainjacket to windproof if necessary. This combination can be altered as necessary depending on activity level, and is relatively lightweight.
I have a thick insulated jacket for hunting on stand that is warm, windproof, and water resistant. But it's bulky and has to be carried hiking in or else you'll be wet when you get there.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
And IF such an animal exists, I would be looking at the ski industry to try and find it. May be something there that would fit your needs.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

G
gwl Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I just got this cadelas jacket yestrday and wore it on a walk. I had a long sleve t and the jacket. It was in just above or at freezing. I felt good, it is lite. Just over 1.5 pounds. It has a thin shell that is water repels. Did a coffee test this morning. Its in the bargin cave for 60 dollars. It is longer than I want but I think it will work well. I think it would work for gun hunting but not the best for bow hunting it is a little loud.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Ultra-Pack-Synthetic-Down-Jacket/725203.uts?Ntk=BargainCave&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch%2F%3FN%3D1000002949%2B5102706%26Ne%3D5102706%26Ntk%3DBargainCave%26Ntt%3Djacket%26Ntx%3Dmode%252Bmatchallpartial%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-Bargain%2BCave%26WTz_st%3DSearchRefinements%26form_state%3DsearchForm%26search%3Djacket%26searchTypeByFilter%3DBargainCave%26x%3D11%26y%3D8&Ntt=jacket

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
10 degrees is pretty darn chilly for a light coat. At some point you must be trapping your own body heat enough to create warmth or reflecting it back like a space blanket. Only so many ways to do it.

I've got a lightweight patagonia jacket I really like as a mid layer because it does the things you ask. It is more than a lightly insualted shirt, but less than a jacket. But to 10 by itself, not a chance. I also like the thin, insulated jackets instead of one bulky one. I've been experimenting with the patagonia (nice shell, thin microfleece lining) under an eddie bauer jacket that has a thin layer of modern synthetic insualation (can't remember which one) that works great for the warmth bulk ratio and then a simple waterproof, breathable shell. Works great. I've only seen 25 degrees with this combo. Gets too hot with minimal activity.

I think Patrick at Kifaru has the right idea for the kind of jacket you are describing with the insulation he is using. Not aware of anything else. But I am not a guy who would spend $300 on a jacket either.

Hope someone has some great suggestions.

Last edited by 338WIN; 01/13/12.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'd second the Cabela's Synthetic Down jacket. I've used it for a few years now and I have questions about the durability of the outer shell fabric, but I only use it when I'm sitting and glassing when its cold, so it serves my purposes. I think that if I assume you're wearing other layers, then this jacket would work. It is definitely not bulky and is actually relatively thin. If you were only wearing a light shirt and then this jacket over it, it might not be enough for 10F, but if you have on a base layer and reasonably warm shirt, I would think this would do it.

E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
If you get a chance check out Patagonia's Das Parka, they're warmer than their micropuff and compresses down well. I decided to check it out cause I plan to hunt sheep later than normal this fall and I think it'll be great for what I'm going to use it for. The new colors kind of suck, I think flourescent orange and black not my favorite colors for hunting. I was able to find them on ebay recently for a decent price in olive drab from last year and slightly older, some new and some used. I picked up 2 just because I don't think we'll see a color that good for some time.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gwl, mind fixing that link so the rest of us can read the thread?

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
lately I have been wanting a non bulky jacket that is non bulky in the arms but still is a pretty warm coat suitable down to at least 10 degrees or so. any ideas on that?? just bought a cabelas wooltimate jacket that I will test out.

When you say "10*" are you talking active or passive activity?

Huge difference...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There must be 20 of these types of coats available. The Cabelas synthetic down insulation (I have one in an older jacket they no longer make) seems to be as good as any. I would choose that or any jacket with a non continuous filament insulation (like primaloft) over a continuous filament insulation (like climashield that Kifaru uses). The non-continuous filament insulations have a higher warmth to weight ratio and are more compressible than continuous filament insulations.

eta: some options from REI -
http://www.rei.com/category/4501424
on the page above, REI revelcloud and spruce run, MH zonal and compressor, Patagonia Nano and Micro

I've really been liking a light jacket with a nice thick (but light) down vest on top of it recently too.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Recommending any coat without knowing whether its use is for passive or active use is, well, useless...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I assumed this thread was about a static insulating layer. Active use down to 10f hardly even calls for a jacket. Base layer or two and decent wind shell pretty much covers it.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Are you looking for wool, down or what? for a not too bulky down jacket I would recommend the Sherpa Pangboche jacket $200 retail and 800 fill down.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by evanhill
I assumed this thread was about a static insulating layer. Active use down to 10f hardly even calls for a jacket. Base layer or two and decent wind shell pretty much covers it.

He didn't say, hence the reason I asked. I've found on these forums it's not necessarily wise to "assume" any meaning.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
sound wisdom Brad.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use the DAS parka too. Most use comes during our winters here in AK.
It's good down to -20F with good layers. During hunting season I use it in an open canoe with motor that I run at about 15 mph, works so well that I have another new one to serve after this one has had it. Mine is alpha green ,bought at $75. Wish I had bought a couple more..

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'd take a look at Barney's Brooks Range Jacket. On my wish list to try out soon.Desgned by Alaskan sheep hunters.

Think they also make a warmer version but can't recall the name.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (12344mag, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 160user, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 61 invisible), 2,529 guests, and 1,195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,923
Posts18,498,502
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.