Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
E
OP Offline
E
I have been an avid Bow hunter for the past 12 years, I still love it to death but I want to give rifle hunting a go. I hunt it all, from boar to deer, elk, bear, moose, atilope so I need something that is pretty versatile. I do have an old remington 30-06 that I got from my dad a few years back it shoots great and I know that it would do anything I needed it to do, I just know there is alot better choices out there. I have done some research on calibers and balistics and so far I seem to be leaning toward the 7mm WBY mag. Any input on caliber and exact rifle set up would be greatly appreciated. I not new to guns or hunting just for using guns to hunt.

Death from Above
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Use the 30-06.

Everything you now do is something you have chosen to do. Some people don't want to believe that. But if you're over age twenty-one, your life is what you're making of it. To change your life, you need to change your priorities.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Buy a new stock for your old gun and maybe a new scope and you'll be good to go for anything on your list.

Wouldn't go the Weatherby route if you don't reload, or take a look at a 7mm Rem Mag.

Life is just one damned thing after another
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by eagleman1074
......I hunt it all, from boar to deer, elk, bear, moose, atilope so I need something that is pretty versatile. I do have an old remington 30-06 that I got from my dad a few years back it shoots great and I know that it would do anything I needed it to do, I just know there is alot better choices out there.......

I'm not so sure about that..... confused smile

If you are a good bow hunter,you will become among the World's top predators with a 30/06 in your hands.Nothing will stand a chance. Almost unfair, really wink grin

Last edited by BobinNH; 01/14/12.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm with the others, dress up your '06, maybe in a McSwirly stock or an edge to lighten it up, maybe some new glass depending on what is on it, and rock on.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
+5.

30.06 and go kill stuff.
If you still insist on a 7mm, forgo the WBY.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by SKane
+5.

30.06 and go kill stuff.
If you still insist on a 7mm, forgo the WBY.

What he said.

NEVER GIVE UP
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I do have an old remington 30-06 that I got from my dad a few years back it shoots great and I know that it would do anything I needed it to do, I just know there is alot better choices out there.

It's not clear to me that there are a lot better choices out there. Add a FX-3 6x42 and you are good to go.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
As long as your Remington isn't problematic in some way or you just want a new rifle,I agree with everyone else.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
or you just want a new rifle

Apologies to the original poster, I didn't even think about my 'go-to reason'. Sorry. smile

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'd be proud to hunt with dads 30-06. Maybe update the glass and stock but otherwise it's good to go.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Whats great about your topic is that we can switch choices and change our minds with not much cost and still satisfy that want.

To me the rifle itself is as important or more important than the chambering. Also that the chambering be 'enough gun' and not to use a minimum.

The 30-06 Springfield is the center of whats tops for most of us for the so called big game we hunt. Its ammo is available everywhere it seems and its proven.

Most of us rifleman want a longer range magnum also. Both the 7mm's and 300's are popular for that.

Thus while a Weatherby chamber would turn me off for its design features and its lack of ammo availability some other hunter might jump at one. So be it as its easy to change.

Start with a popular chambering. Once you have lots of rifles you can pick the chambering right from your safe.

At a local store here the only ones with longer range that they carry are the 30-06, 270, 7mm RM and the 300 WM.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'm wondering if his dad was a "one gun man", probably finding out a loooooong time ago that the 30-06 was all he really needed (all anyone really needs for that matter, especially when hunting north america). I'd do like the others said and change the rifle up a bit and give it a makeover with a mcmillan stock (mountain rifle) and leupold VX3 3.5-10x40 and hunt the sumbeesh....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
My dad's favorite saying was, how dead do you need to kill em? He seemed to do just fine with his old 721 30-06. If you want to shoot a LONG ways or can't kill anything on your list dead enough, maybe you NEED the mag., but probablly not. As everyone has said the ole 06 is hard to beat, although it's not a new wizzem or the top of the cool factor list, it just works. However if you want to buy a new rifle that's cool too.

Good luck, Guy

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
As long as the '06 shot well, I wouldn't even consider changing the stock. I personally would consider it an honor to shoot my daddy's rifle as it was. And I happen to like a rifle with character, i.e. a wood stock. I inherited my daddy's '06 last year and even though he had put a Nikon on it, I remember as a child him using an old Weaver 2.5K. I also got the old scope and have put it back on it and will use it like that. And I agree with others who say the venerable '06 will do just fine for all you are going after.

It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first.
Ronald Reagan

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have been an avid Bow hunter for the past 12 years, I still love it to death but I want to give rifle hunting a go. I hunt it all, from boar to deer, elk, bear, moose, atilope so I need something that is pretty versatile. I do have an old remington 30-06 that I got from my dad a few years back it shoots great and I know that it would do anything I needed it to do, I just know there is alot better choices out there. I have done some research on calibers and balistics and so far I seem to be leaning toward the 7mm WBY mag. Any input on caliber and exact rifle set up would be greatly appreciated. I not new to guns or hunting just for using guns to hunt.

You are, IMHO correct, the .30-06 will do anything you need to. From a reasonable position using it might be your best choice.

The 7mm WBY Mag would certainly identify you as one of us. It is relatively rare, expensive to shoot, known as "flat shooting", you won't have to put up with seeing cartridges in just any store.

I scratch that itch by owning the likes of 7x61 S&H's, 308 Normas, 35 Whelen and 250-3000 Savages. Then I take '06's hunting.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

You are, IMHO correct, the .30-06 will do anything you need to. From a reasonable position using it might be your best choice.

The 7mm WBY Mag would certainly identify you as one of us. It is relatively rare, expensive to shoot, known as "flat shooting", you won't have to put up with seeing cartridges in just any store.

I scratch that itch by owning the likes of 7x61 S&H's, 308 Normas, 35 Whelen and 250-3000 Savages. Then I take '06's hunting.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Oh Puh-LEEZE.

Not another 'All around hunting rifle' thread.
We all know how the story ends.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
E
OP Offline
E
Well restoring my dads 06' was something I had already wanted to do. So I'll guess Ill just get it dressed up and save a lil money. I have a Zeiss Conquest 3.5x10 x 50 that I won in a raffle that I was planning on putting on something new but I can always use it for this too.I know it definatly needs a new stock regardless cause its beat up pretty bad. What kind of stock would you recomend?

Death from Above
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by cal74
Buy a new stock for your old gun and maybe a new scope and you'll be good to go for anything on your list.

Wouldn't go the Weatherby route if you don't reload, or take a look at a 7mm Rem Mag.

...this IMO.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (22kHornet, 160user, 1234, 19rabbit52, 1lessdog, 219 Wasp, 45 invisible), 2,343 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,858
Posts18,517,729
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.