Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
The std 280 will shoot the 160g Nosler at 2900 fps...if you plan to reload...load of IMR 7828 right out of the Nosler manual.

That being said, the 7 Mag with a load of Retumbo will accuately shoot the 162's at 3100 fps.

I did the 280 AI thing, and ended up shooting about 3g less powder than the 7 mags with the 140's. Since my Rem 700's shoot tiny groups with the 140's, I sold the custom AI to a good friend.

The little 7/08 with 130g Speers and IMR 4895 is hell on wheels with white tails at 2850 fps...about 325 is as far as I have killed deer with this load and they were DRT.

What ever caliber you shoot, practice, know your trajectory, and place your shot, then all the calibers are all good. Never expect a magnum or a magic bullet type to make up for bad shot placement.

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
NULA in .284, get that loading setup on order

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
That would be the 7mm Weatherby!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
7x57

It's good enough for elephants, all the rest just waste gunpowder.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
7mm Wby will do it all and more.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have become quite partial to the 7x57. Not a long term user but I have found, like so many others, it is a very pleasant round to shoot that just gets the job done. I will be using it much more in the future. So, the 7x57 or its clone the 7-08 I suppose.

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I think the choices boil down more to what type rifle you want, and what velocity levels you hope to achieve, with which bullet weights,rather than any inherent supriority of one round over the other.Obviously there will be some overlap in peformance.

For a whispy mountain weight rifle,of light to moderate recoil,the smaller 7mm's like the 7/08,7x57,284,or 280 fill the bill.

For a rifle of a bit more weight,and for tossing the heaviest 7mm bullets at high velocity,the larger 7mm's take over.

For a general purpose BG rifle to be used on everything, everywhere,to me the standouts would be the 280,280AI,7 Rem Mag,7mmWSM,7 Weatherby,7mm Dakota,STW.In a wildcat,the Mashburn Super.These will vary a little bit here and there.

Everyone will have their favorites.Choosing a "best" is a waste of time.Was anyone concerned we don't have enough choices? smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
since you asked about the "round", that would be the 7mm rem mag. no other 7mm round comes close here in the states. you won't be sorry as the 7mm rem mag is a "do all" cartridge, like the 30-06.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You said Build. Not Buy off the shelf! Correct? I have recommended to others (one just a couple days ago) buying a nice Remington VS (varmint synthetic) in 7mm-08. For $700 you might get a gun that shoots aces right out of the box. If you want to, for another $1,000 to $1200 for action truing, barrel, custom chambering, trigger job, and bedding, you can have a rifle every bit as accurate and pleasant to shoot as a full blown custom off the shelf rifle. Pick a stock you like and work in increments. Every bit of a Remington rifle is workable.

Compare this to buying a base rifle from GA Precision. They have a stellar reputation. You're going to pay $2600 for a rifle built on a Remington 700 action. I think it's a good value compared to what's out there and how much you can spend.

With the Rem, you're going to get a robust rifle with a heavy barrel. I know you said light, and you can get your barrel cut to 20" if you really want to and save some, but I like the guns just as they are. Kenny Jarrett's favorite rifle is his 7mm-08 Ackley Improved in a 20" bbl ranch rifle. If you're not going to handload, the std chambering would be fine.

I like heavy rifles. I practice with a Rem 40X Rangemaster .22 that probably weighs 13 or 14 pounds. My custom .30-.338 I hunted with for 20+ years probably weighs 15 pounds. I bought a Remington titanium mountain rifle in .270 once but couldn't hold it still. I sold it. The last rifle I had built, the Nesika weighs 8 1/2 pounds without a scope and I'm just as comfortable as can be with it. It's a .300 WSM and I put a brake on it a week after I got it. The .30-.338 didn't need one. At 15 pounds, all you get is a shove. I like weight for stability and to soak up recoil because I do a lot of shooting. I don't mind carrying a heavy gun I know is going to make me a better shot.

Remington's have round receivers and any gunsmith can work one. There are myriad of aftermarket stocks, bottom metal, triggers... for Remingtons and as I said, most gunsmiths probably learned on Remington actions. They are the standard. I paid $3500 for a custom Nesika Bay rifle and $3600 for my benchrest gun. I have guns put together on Winchester and Remington actions that shoot every bit as good. No snob factor. Satisfying.

Not too many years ago, my buddy the cop spent $1700 going this route and has a very nice .300 Winchester he put together on a Remington action. The rifle shot sweet. He had the trigger done, the action cleaned up, and dropped it in a Sako style stock he'd wanted a long time and he loves it. Aside from an Armalite for range destruction, it's the only other rifle he owns.

This is off Jarrett's website. It's in his section of pet calibers. I talked to him about the 20" barrel part years ago, and he said it's really all you need. He would know.

"The 7mm-08 Ackley Improved has been very popular with us for many years. Most importantly, it provides high end .280 Remington performance in a short action receiver. Most of our 7mm-08 Imp. rifles have a fairly short barrel, usually no longer than 20�, yet we get an honest 3050 f.p.s. with a 140 gr. bullet, and 3150 feet per second with a 120 gr. The original .308 case has been transformed into many kinds of nice cartridges. I believe that the 7mm-08 Ackley Improved is at the top of the heap. We have tuned several for 160 gr. Nosler Partitions for African hunts and hear nothing but praise for their performance. Bullets striking animals at 100 to 200 yards at 7mm-08 velocities will show perfect performance every time. Perfect for whitetail, it is one wildcat that deserved to be."

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
The good news is, you can't go wrong. For the game species you mention, the 7mm/08, the .280, or the 7mm Rem Mag will do the job for you in spades.

Spec the rifle the way you want it, and you may find that the platform points you toward one cartridge or the other.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'd forego building rifles until i had a decent loading setup...
and for a good list of cartridges you can load decent ammo for an equipment outlay of about $20 if you pick up a lee loader... it's low volume but, for price alone, beats the snot out of shooting factory stuff...

in a 7mm the Remington mag is hard not to like...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
7mm-08 Winchester Featherweight Leupold 3.5 x 10 x 40 scope 200 rounds of Winchester brass 8 pounds of varget 2000 primers and 500 Nosler 120 or 140 BT and get to know her

Psalm 16:1 Preserve me, O God: for in thee do I put my trust.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I think the choices boil down more to what type rifle you want, and what velocity levels you hope to achieve, with which bullet weights,rather than any inherent supriority of one round over the other.Obviously there will be some overlap in peformance.

For a whispy mountain weight rifle,of light to moderate recoil,the smaller 7mm's like the 7/08,7x57,284,or 280 fill the bill.

For a rifle of a bit more weight,and for tossing the heaviest 7mm bullets at high velocity,the larger 7mm's take over.

For a general purpose BG rifle to be used on everything, everywhere,to me the standouts would be the 280,280AI,7 Rem Mag,7mmWSM,7 Weatherby,7mm Dakota,STW.In a wildcat,the Mashburn Super.These will vary a little bit here and there.

Everyone will have their favorites.Choosing a "best" is a waste of time.Was anyone concerned we don't have enough choices? smile

Bob did not disappoint me in his recommendations. Sentence after sentence I read, then there it was, he inserted the MASHBURN SUPER. The man just can not help himself. grin

7x57 - past, present, and future.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Chuck Norris fears the 7x57.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by keith

What ever caliber you shoot, practice, know your trajectory, and place your shot, then all the calibers are all good. Never expect a magnum or a magic bullet type to make up for bad shot placement.

No truer words have ever been spoken...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JD338
280 AI.It will cover everything from mice to moose.
You can shoot factory 280 Remington until you get your loading equipment. You will have fire formed brass ready to go.

You can also buy Nosler 280 AI loaded ammo too.

JD338

The Nosler .280 Ackley won't work in the standard as we know it, .280 Ackley. If you want to use the Nosler ready mades your gunsmith needs to know it and then you cannot safely fireform standard .280 without necking it up to .30 cal and then partially resizing to create a false shoulder.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That's why Chuck isn't afraid of the .280 AI. He can dodge your bullets until you run out.

I am..........disturbed.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
if you don't reload 7mm rem mag

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You know, with what building a new rifle costs you might be better off just buying a factory rifle and some good glass. Spend all that extra money on good reloading outfitt and components.

I've wildcatted, and spent some good bit of time with others and their wildcat rifles. Here's what I've come to believe. The round itself is not that much of an improvement. It's just that the guy is a rifle loony and spends that much more time developing loads for that rifle and, more importantly, time on trigger. So it's not the round that really makes a difference, but the man shooting the rifle. The numbers look pretty, but in the field they really don't do much for you.

So, with that in mind I'd say get a good solid rifle. This Ruger Hawkeye M77 in 280 Rem is as solid as it gets, and will do anything on this continent. Put on some good glass in the form of two or more scopes. Put them in Warne Quick release rings and change the scope to fit the hunt.

Hawkeye M77

[Linked Image]

By doing that and using scopes pre-zeroed for different loads I wouldn't be afraid to hunt a Mississippi swamp for hogs one day, and the top of a Montana mountain the next. Simply swapping glass and load to suit.

Last edited by crosshair; 01/15/12.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Keep it simple. 7X57 and 175 grain bullets. Good for anything on this planet.

The things that come to those that wait may be the things left by those who got there first.

Unk
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
762 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 69 invisible), 2,670 guests, and 1,017 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,186,220
Posts18,371,123
Members73,764
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.