E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by GunTruck50
Installing to generate revenue should
also be a crime.

Ahem... yeah, right... that is like saying that congress & the pres ought to be subjected to SS just like we are. cry

Keep talkin' like that and and they'll label you a loon... or worse, an RPer wink .

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Originally Posted by T LEE
I don't believe that is any longer the case, but I could be wrong, not a first for me!

Title XXIII, FS 318.21 says
2. If the violation occurred within a municipality, 50.8 percent shall be paid to that municipality and 5.6 percent shall be deposited into the fine and forfeiture trust fund established pursuant to s. 142.01.
3. If the violation occurred within the unincorporated area of a county, including the unincorporated areas, if any, of a government created pursuant to s. 6(e), Art. VIII of the State Constitution, that is not within a special improvement district of the Seminole Indian Tribe or Miccosukee Indian Tribe, 56.4 percent shall be deposited into the fine and forfeiture fund established pursuant to s. 142.01.

How current is that Sam, I have not kept up much in the past couple of years. I was just talking about it this morning with a Lake Placid Captain and that was the figure that came up (10%).

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Seems out in the DFW area, if you get a ticket sent to your house, the ticket does not go on your state driving record as a violation.

That's means to me the ticket is just for revenue.

A LEO writes a ticket, you pay and it goes on your driving record.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't believe that is any longer the case, but I could be wrong, not a first for me!

Title XXIII, FS 318.21 says
2. If the violation occurred within a municipality, 50.8 percent shall be paid to that municipality and 5.6 percent shall be deposited into the fine and forfeiture trust fund established pursuant to s. 142.01.
3. If the violation occurred within the unincorporated area of a county, including the unincorporated areas, if any, of a government created pursuant to s. 6(e), Art. VIII of the State Constitution, that is not within a special improvement district of the Seminole Indian Tribe or Miccosukee Indian Tribe, 56.4 percent shall be deposited into the fine and forfeiture fund established pursuant to s. 142.01.

How current is that Sam, I have not kept up much in the past couple of years. I was just talking about it this morning with a Lake Placid Captain and that was the figure that came up (10%).

2010 Terry. I was given that reference to the State Law by the office of my State Senator a few months back. He was a long time former Sheriff in Alachua, Steve Oelrich, and one of the good guys for sure.

Last edited by Mannlicher; 01/15/12.

Sam......

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
OK, thanks Sam. We are just grunts so misinformation does happen! smile smile

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Didn't read the whole thread, but there is a short answer to the OP's question.

In a criminal proceeding, you have the right to confront your accuser, and you have the right to question that accuser under oath. How are you going to do that when your accuser is a machine? For example, according to SCOTUS, if you're on trial and if forensic evidence is presented, the lab technician who prepared the evidence has to be available to testify and to be cross examined.

Those who keep statistics on such things say that traffic cameras do not reduce traffic accidents. So if that's true, it's only about the revenue, not about your safety.

Be not weary in well doing.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by ldholton
springfeild mo is have lots of trouble with this subject right now !! a highway potrol man sued the city a couple years back and won ! the cameras have been off the last two years and now a councial man is wantitng them gone and the city stats showed the accident rate incressed while the cameras were on!!

Worked with the retired officer. They were reluctant to release the number of tickets issued and the amout of revenue generated. When it was finally released it was very obvious that it was a revenue rasing device, not a safety tool. Cameras have been shut down for a couple of years. Would love to see the stats on increase/ decrease of accidents. GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by pacecars
Makes no sense to blame the . Run the red light and you get a ticket. Doesn't tie up the officers by making them sit at an intersection. it allows them to be out catching crooks (isn't that one of the many things people say when they get stopped? Why aren't you out catching real crooks?)

Gives them extra time at Dunken Donuts

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
HEY! Don't be picking on the sub-station! smile smile smile

Old cat turd!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
now would i do something like that?

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yep smile smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Old cat turd!

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by pacecars
Our city put up redlight cameras at numerous intersections that have lots of accidents at them. A lot of people are having hisy fits saying it violates their civil rights. Just how in the Sam Hill does it violate any rights?

only a cop would ask that. lol

or the sales rep who sold them.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Traffic infractions aren't criminal proceedings. The accuser is the state/county/town and one can certainly go to court and refute and defend against the violation.

The S.Ct Melendez-Diaz case was probably the most discussed case and procedural nightmare causing case of the past year.

Last edited by isaac; 01/15/12.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shreck
Accidents at red light cameras increased and some folks have been caught shortening the yellow light time, just to pad things a bit.

Many areas are removing them for this reason.

My concern is that we are becoming a society that is under constant surveillance. It is not difficult to envision a system where you are trackable from the time you leave your property until you return. Between traffic cams, webcams, store cams, and parking lot cams.Add electronic purchases and web browsing to that and we can paint a pretty accurate picture of your life.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
You must have an I-phone or on-star

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know how it violates our "civil rights" but I do believe we should resist "Big Brother government" in all it's forms.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by eyeball
You must have an I-phone or on-star

Neither, but your cell can be tracked regardless.
Here are some traffic cams: http://lb.511.idaho.gov/idlb/cameras/routeselect.jsf;jsessionid=47D9E247E8962E39B67915D33B78B579?view=state&text=m&textOnly=false
http://www.northwestwebcams.com/idaho-web-cams.shtm

Last edited by 280shooter; 01/15/12.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
It doesn't violate my civil rights. However, it is the behavior of an out of control government and should not be tolerated by the people. So far our system of government seems to be working as the proliferation of these cameras seems to have slowed and they're gradually being removed from many locations. Citizens standing up and calling BS on these schemes seems to be having the needed effect. The pressure needs to be kept up by the people to keep this crap from becoming the norm.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 280shooter
My concern is that we are becoming a society that is under constant surveillance. It is not difficult to envision a system where you are trackable from the time you leave your property until you return. Between traffic cams, webcams, store cams, and parking lot cams. Add electronic purchases and web browsing to that and we can paint a pretty accurate picture of your life.

I agree with your concern, but so should the police. With GPS, cell phone, and video face recognition and analysis technology it's already possible for speeding and most other moving violations to be determined by computer and assigned to the driver without human intervention. It's just a matter of time before the "if it saves just one life..." crowd demands such technology be an integral part of every new vehicle. Heck, the computer can find you guilty and take the fine right out of your bank account and have a printer in the car's dashboard spit out a ticket showing how much that infraction cost you. Of course, the computer won't be able to apply the "reasonable person" test, but just think how much money can be saved by cutting all those unnecessary police jobs.

On that note, I oppose all forms of vending machine justice regardless of the cost savings or the claim that lives might be saved. Driving under constant surveillance is both stressful and boring and drivers who are not involved in the job of driving kill far more people than surveillance saves.

When technology advances to the point where cars can drive themselves then I'll support constant surveillance as a means of solving bugs in the system. As long as humans are driving then humans should enforce the laws using their experience and good judgment.

S
S
They were all over the place in AZ. Once people figured out there was a time line to pay, they started dragging their feet and not paying the tickets. Also, the word got out, mostly due to talk radio, that what they mailed you was NOT a legal ticket. If you didn't sign it, to "confess" your guilt, it meant nothing. Actual fines paid was less than 50% of tickets mailed.

Also, in Arizona, it is specified in the state constitution, that the accused has the right to confront their accuser in open court, and ask them questions under oath. You can't ask a camera a question, so YES, in AZ, your rights were violated.

I have not seen a camera, red light, or speed, since moving to N. Dakota. Don't know if there are any in the state, but none in Bismarck.

Last edited by Slowpoke; 01/15/12.
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (06hunter59, 10ring1, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 117LBS, 10gaugemag, 73 invisible), 3,036 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,440
Posts18,528,673
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.