-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Folks have Purple Martin houses here to help with mosquitos. My friend shoots starlings from his Martin house with a pellet gun and the Martins don't even flinch.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by croldfort
Lots of states have some kind of stupid game laws. The most stupid maybe KS, with a season for crows. We have zillions of the nasty rascals. Next maybe a rat/mouse season.
Indiana does too, we have a crow season, coyote season and a bullfrog season.....for real??

Also as far as birds... Just certain ones may be taken.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good shooting.
dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Millions of tons, and millions of dollars are lost world wide because of pest birds and rodent.
Bird dropping build up can allow a fungus to grow that can be a hazard to humans.
I will shoot them any legal chance I get.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When I was a youngun I had a Benjaman(sp) .22 pellet rifle. I was

allowed to shoot pretty much anything but red birds. Of course I

messed up one day and shot a female red bird I very quickly

dunked it in some used motor oil . Instant black bird !

"Papa ! Nana made turtles in the potty !"
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think that is a neat video - one of the moct compelling things about it is that he DENOTES the types and DOES NOT shoot animals out of season or otherwise - that is fair and humane hunting if ever I saw it!

The cats seems to like it to!

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
IIRC, crow seasons were developed as a side effect of a treaty with Mexico, protecting other birds.
Mark

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
XL5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
More power to you. I'm a purple martin landlord, too.

Starlings supposedly are tasty and were the same bird mentioned in nursery rhyme, "four and twenty blackbirds baked in a pie." I've thought about trapping some, then fattening and preparing them according to the French manner of the ortolan bunting.

If it worked, it could transform one of America's nastiest pests into one of its tastiest gourmet treats.

Alle Fähigkeit ist vergeblich, wenn ein Engel in Ihrem Notenloch uriniert
-- old German proverb
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Mako25
After my son contracted histoplasmosis from picking up and playing with a crow feather I went after them with a vengence. Hunted'em year round. Killed tens of thousands and wore out four shotguns doing it. Now they have a season on them.

If I were to google histoplasmosis it'd be the first time I'd ever heard of it. Sure hope it didn't have too negative effect on your son, and I embrace your chosen method of recourse.

Histoplamosis is a contracted by inhaling the spore of a fungus called Histoplasma Capsulatum....the spore is "fertilized" by the droppings of various birds....starlings and others....symptoms range from mild flu like to death...depends on the amount of spore breathed in....I contracted it during college...lost about 40 pounds and a few weeks of doing anything except eating and sleeping....took quite a while to get back to normal....large concentrations of birds make for lots of droppings and the potential for lots of spore....needless to say there is no love lost for me on vermin birds.....link below has "Histo" information....
http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/hi97146.html

Live so that it matters that you have lived at all....
Mako25 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Good info - I'm going to dig into the link right now.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here he shows a little about his camera setup.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by croldfort
The most stupid maybe KS, with a season for crows.

Missouri has a crow season too, and it's only 4 months long. We also can't hunt coyotes for about 6 weeks during the spring turkey season.

Mako25 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Good find, this guy is fantastic. He's got some serious coin wrapped up in his hobby, but he's also very serious about it.

For forty years figured I might've been the only person on earth who had eaten pigeons. I'm so relieved that what my Dad made me do (in the name of sportsmanship) is actually accepted practice. >grin<

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah this guy is good.

He seems to be "eat up" with Starlings the way most of us are eat up with Big-Game.

This one is pretty good on Starling behavior.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I shoot a RWS Model 48 that is nice but not nearly as nice as the OP.

I shot a boat load of starlings and english sparrows off my property and was pleasantly rewarded with gold finches, house sparrows and other song birds that filled the void.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another good one. For an amateur, this guy has some of the best video footage I've seen in a while...

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Thanks Whacker

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by W7ACT
Been known to take out a few Crows on occasion.

I love killing crows with my bow.

Little bastids eat the walnuts, but for some reason they end up with lead poisoning. whistle

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Another good one. For an amateur, this guy has some of the best video footage I've seen in a while...

Thanks, Deerwhacker...

This guy is clearly as much a birdwatcher as he is a hunter. Hmmm. Kinda reminds me of a lot of big game hunters I know!

I have to say, these videos are as fascinating to me, if not moreso, than most TV hunting shows. The videography is excellent, the "producer" clearly knows what he's talking about, and besides all that, there's fierce little "lions" in every video. The shot where the kitty growled at him when it picked up the dead starling cracked me right up!

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (1234, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,545 guests, and 1,423 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,175
Posts18,484,652
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.