24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hold the idea of 'building a rife' until you get a standard one. So called built rifles have little value on the used market and don't always turn out like we want.

A already 'built' factory rifle left somewhat original will retain the most value.

Don't worry about the cartridge or chambering all that much except to select a popular one where you can get ammo today at a local store.

My choice of a 7mm would be a Kimber 84M in 7-08 or a M70 in that chambering. If you must have a magnum the 7mm RM is popular.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
BP-B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
If you mean a real light weight rig, 7-08 in a Rem. 700 would be the perfect balance between recoil & performance. For a bit more weight the new SC Win. Featherweights are very nice, too.

If recoil isn't really a consideration, a 280, or AI version (Longer brass life) gives a bit more juice, but in a light rifle would have a bit more thump to the shooter.

Handloading gives you a lot of advantages regardless of which direction you go.

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Timberlake
Keep it simple. 7X57 and 175 grain bullets. Good for anything on this planet.

Chuck just emailed me and requested (politely I might add) that you desist from further kryptonite like discussions. He has issues with sectional density it seems.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Now that was funny.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rem 700 CDL 7mm Rem Mag

[Linked Image]mm Rem

Last edited by Rick n Tenn; 01/15/12.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by powdr
You need to change your avatar and name to "Bart the Traitor." If you took a perfectly good 7x57Ackley Improved and had it rechambered to 280AI then this is just Mutiny.You are not my friend any longer.You have displayed a level of loonyism far and above those that may be cosidered derranged.Of all the people I thought I could count on to remain steady in the fight for the 7X57AI...I WAS HOPING IT WOULD BE YOU! Please don't write or call as I don't think I could take it emotionally.Please...say it ain't true. powdr

It was a decision that I made based solely on economics. The damned thing didn't feed as well as I wanted it to,and because it's a Springfield and was made for the Ought-6 case,I made a command decision.
Redneck did the work and it shoots like crazy.
I kept all of the brass and am planning on getting back into the 7X57AI club again somewhere down the road. Think of it as a sabbatical... smile

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
zxc Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jschonfarber
Im planning on building a new hunting rifle, Ive decided to use a 7mm. I will mostly hunt whitetails, and hogs until I move up north and hunt elk. I want a relatively light gun and any sugestions on the rest of the rifle woukd also be appreciated.

7Mag in a light rifle with a well designed stock is no more of a kicker than your average '06. if you handload you can mitigate the recoil by loading light for whitetails etc or heavy for elk. When you hunt elk there be other critters that may hunt you. Not a dimes worth of difference between the Weatherby and the Remington 7's, except price at retail.
To own a 280,7x57 or 7-08 I would need another rifle for elk, moose bear. This would be one of the mediums 33,35,36, and 375's either in standard or 2.5" magnum hulls.
The 2 Sako's I have cover the spectrum for 'up north' hunting, 30-06 and 9.3x66. An all rounder and a thumper.

Last edited by Furprick; 01/15/12.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The 7x57 (aka "7mm Mauser" and ".275 Rigby") is one of the... if not "THE"... oldest, center-fire smokeless powder cartridge still available and is still a popular hunting cartridge for a good reason.

It gets the job done with little fuss 'n muss... and does so with relatively light recoil.

The 7x57 has a slight edge in powder capacity over the 7mm-08 and if loaded to modern standards, will "out run & out-gun" the 7mm-08, but is far under-loaded by most USA ammo manufacturers due to the continuing use of the weaker 1893 and 1895 7mm Mauser rifles in many poorer, 3rd world countries.

While SAAMI has held their suggested chamber pressure recommendations down to a mere 46,000 CUP due to these older, weaker 7mm Mauser actions, many recent reloading manuals are now recommending considerably higher pressure loads up to and including loads that generate up to 50,000 Copper Units of Pressure ("CUP")... the same as the modern .30/06 loads.

However, when offering such loads, most reloading manuals print a "caution" saying that their 7x57 maximum loads should only be used in "modern rifles in good condition". In such rifles, a load generating 50,000 C.U.P. is an acceptable, reasonable load.

While Karamojo Bell killed over 1100 African elephants with his 7x57 rifle, that doesn't make the 7x57 an "elephant rifle"... but the fact that Bell did it shows the killing power of the cartridge in expert hands.

The 7x57 is an excellent caliber for anything that walks in the New World except possibly the "big bears". Certainly, deer, elk, caribou and moose are well within it's capabilities with good bullets and proper bullet placement... and it's relatively light recoil makes shooting it accurate an easy and happy task.

Jus' my 2�... smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Until you actually get some reloading under your belt, the only ones that make much sense are the 7mm RM, 7-08, and maybe standard .280. Ammo availability and price rule out the others (much as I like the 7x57 and .284).

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by roundoak
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I think the choices boil down more to what type rifle you want, and what velocity levels you hope to achieve, with which bullet weights,rather than any inherent supriority of one round over the other.Obviously there will be some overlap in peformance.

For a whispy mountain weight rifle,of light to moderate recoil,the smaller 7mm's like the 7/08,7x57,284,or 280 fill the bill.

For a rifle of a bit more weight,and for tossing the heaviest 7mm bullets at high velocity,the larger 7mm's take over.

For a general purpose BG rifle to be used on everything, everywhere,to me the standouts would be the 280,280AI,7 Rem Mag,7mmWSM,7 Weatherby,7mm Dakota,STW.In a wildcat,the Mashburn Super.These will vary a little bit here and there.

Everyone will have their favorites.Choosing a "best" is a waste of time.Was anyone concerned we don't have enough choices? smile

Bob did not disappoint me in his recommendations. Sentence after sentence I read, then there it was, he inserted the MASHBURN SUPER. The man just can not help himself. grin

Roundoak: Well, hell....throw me some slack! grin

I mean I've already used and killed stuff with most all of the other one's! I can't help it if it's the best of the whole damn bunch.... whistle grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Hold the idea of 'building a rife' until you get a standard one. So called built rifles have little value on the used market and don't always turn out like we want.

A already 'built' factory rifle left somewhat original will retain the most value.

Don't worry about the cartridge or chambering all that much except to select a popular one where you can get ammo today at a local store.

My choice of a 7mm would be a Kimber 84M in 7-08 or a M70 in that chambering. If you must have a magnum the 7mm RM is popular.

+10 Best advice yet. you don't reload and you don't know what you want. How can you intelligently build something in reality without the experience of using something close to have allready built it in your mind as to what it needs to be. You asked. Go buy a syn stocked M700 7mm Mag or 7-08 and put good recoil pad on it and the glass you need. Use it atleast 3 seasons then you won't need to be told what you need. Magnum Man

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ShootDogs
7mm-08. Winchester Featherweight or Kimber 84M.

+1. I have a 7-08 Tikka in synthetic/stainless, and it's probably one of the best production rifles made for the money.

- Rogue
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Sycamore
7mm-08 and don't look back, you won't have to.

Sycamore

+1 "Mostly whitetails/light-weight rifle/don't reload" -
7mm-08 is hard to beat for that combination.

"Kids don't remember their best day of television."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you want light then stick with either the 7-08 or the 280.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I love the .280Rem. But of late I have a crave for a 7x57. It WILL do it all. I've recounted on other forums here in the past that I know a nice lady that has taken much game with a full stocked Mannlicher 20" 7x57, including Cape Buffalo, Lion, Leopard, Rhino, Alaskan Moose, Black Bear, and many others. A local judge friend of ours told her "there's a little bit of magic in it". What more is needed out of a 7mm?

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jschonfarber
I dont reload yet so please keep that in mind while suggesting crtridges. But I do plan to start soon.

I don't there's a bad apple in the 7mm barrel. smile

Since you don't reload, I'd go 7-08 or 7 Rem mag. Depending on your recoil tolerance.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Because you don't reload, that eliminates the 7x57,
Because you want light, that eliminates the 7 mag.

Ergo, 7-08 or 280. It's that simple.

This happens time and time again on this site. People write back promoting their favourite round rather than responding to the OP's needs.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I built a 7.4 lb. 7 MM Mashburn all up. That is about light as I want to shoot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by John_G
Because you don't reload, that eliminates the 7x57,

I would like to hear more about this statement. Plus the OP said: "I dont reload yet so please keep that in mind while suggesting crtridges. But I do plan to start soon."

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
If you cant figure the time and cost of a custom build, i would but a Kimber Montana in 280 AI, outfit it with a set of Talley LW's and a matte 3.5-10 leupold and never look back.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
93 members (308ld, 375sunrise, 300_savage, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 13 invisible), 1,115 guests, and 477 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,186,241
Posts18,371,440
Members73,765
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.