Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
OP Offline
J
I would like to start reloading. I do't have a bunch of money to sink into this yet so I would like to use value equipment. I don't know where to start with equipment and figured yall could hellp me.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Welcome to the 'Fire!

Your best bet is to start following threads in the Reloading Forums. There are a lot of knowledgeable folks that hang out there.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Post your question on the reloading forum, you'll get a better response:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/forums/11/1/Big_Game_Rifles

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A Lee anniversary kit will get you more than started, and you'll spend a small amount to do it.

Add dial calipers, dies, and I'd say you're a reloader for 'bout a hundred bucks.

click here

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh, welcome aboard.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Are you from Tennessee? Bob

NRA-Benefactor
TSRA-Life

"It's a terrible thing when governments send their young men to kill each other." Charles Byrne,WW2 Vet.
On the day Desert Storm began.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lee Precision

Start here. Someone is going to be along soon and say that Lee stuff is junk. They're entitled to their opinion. I've had a number of Lee products over the years and have been happy with them all. I have some other brands now, but I still have the original Lee single stage press that I bought years ago and it still works just fine.

Stush
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

The FNG, not Mako.

NRA-Benefactor
TSRA-Life

"It's a terrible thing when governments send their young men to kill each other." Charles Byrne,WW2 Vet.
On the day Desert Storm began.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Buy once, cry once! I would start piecing reloading equipment together. I tend to use Lee Dies, RCBS single stage press, and a Lyman tumbler, and Lyman Electronic scale. I have reloaded several thousands of rounds with these main pieces of equipment. I also purchased a cableas brand caliber.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Information - known as loading data is available from a variety of sources. It contains the powders and charge weights, brass, primers, seating depths and a host of nice to know information.

You can get started for as little as nothing, but eventually you'll want a library of your own. That truth now outpaces the cost of my equipment by a wide margin.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Fwiw, if there is one thing that I didn't care for in my original Lee equipment, it was their powder measuring setup. I went to a Redding powder throw as soon as my finances permitted.

Stush
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Welcome

For Bare Bones minimum with good results....

A reloading book and a [b][color:#3333FF]Lee Loader[/color][/b] some bullets, primers, powder. ,..cheapest you can get into reloading..!

Only other stuff you'll need is a mallet, some safety glasses, earplugs, 1 glove and a block of wood, which shouldn't cost much.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
FYI. If you are a good scrounger, watch your local Craigslist. Might be surprised what you find for a pittance.

Stush
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Lots of ways to go. You could buy a Lee outfit with almost everything except dies, powder, primers and bullets for under $200. I would take my time and buy used equipment one piece at a time and buy RCBS. I think my RCBS JR press cost me $40.

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Buy once, cry once! I would start piecing reloading equipment together. I tend to use Lee Dies, RCBS single stage press, and a Lyman tumbler, and Lyman Electronic scale. I have reloaded several thousands of rounds with these main pieces of equipment. I also purchased a cableas brand caliber.

I have Redding, Dillon, Hornady, Wilson, Lee, RCBS, Forrester, C&H, PACT, and others I can't recall at the moment. Can't say any are junk, or better than the others - different strokes for different folks.

To get started at minimum cost (and be able to load very high quality cartridges) Lee is a no-brainer.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Mako25
Information - known as loading data is available from a variety of sources. It contains the powders and charge weights, brass, primers, seating depths and a host of nice to know information.

You can get started for as little as nothing, but eventually you'll want a library of your own. That truth now outpaces the cost of my equipment by a wide margin.

This is TRUTH!

Get a reloading manual from one of the major companies, Hornady, RCBS, Lyman, Lee, etc... and READ the instructions.

As Mako25 said, information will become your largest expenditure over time. I would have to measure my reloading/firearms related book by the linear foot, not by number of volumes.

Also, what no one else has said, you are about to become an addict. grin

Stay safe and enjoy!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Also, what no one else has said, you are about to become an addict.

Well, there is that.

Does that make us pushers? >grin<

J
OP Offline
J
I already have a manual and some componets but still need a press, dies, powder scale/measure. I'm considering the lee challenger singlestage annivesary kit.(just realized this awsome kit was discontinued)So any advice on entry level equipment would help. But if anyone would like to cur me a deal on some decent used equipment I would greatly appreaciate it.

Last edited by Jschonfarber; 01/15/12.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Craigslist, the classified section of this site, and gun shows are all excellent places to get deals.

I would not spend money on used dies, open canisters of powder, and be very wary of primers, and bullets in opened packaging.

Being new, I'd recommend new brass, or brass from factory loaded ammunition.

The Lee anniversary is seventy bucks + tax, and shipping (hard to trim much off that). Deerwhacker also recommended the hand press - they work, and you'll be loading for the price of a twelve pack, and jug o' whiskey.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

119 members (6mmbrfan, 3333vl, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 673, 16 invisible), 1,931 guests, and 1,119 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,894
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.