Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
adkjaq Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
are you shooting them? any body scope one? mines got a wfp with ivory front. I got a 77rs I might scope if I don't sell it..

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, I've got one. Yes, I've scoped it. I had a Weaver K4 with Leupold rings and mount on it at first but have since replaced the K4 with a K2.5. Also have a Savage 2.5 that I mean to try but haven't mounted it yet. Still trying to determine the origin of the Savage scope. Had some references about who made them but can't seem to find them. Also have a Lyman 57SB that I mean to mount and try. Haven't shot a 99 yet with a D&T mounted receiver sight and am curious how they compare to the tang mounted receiver sights. You wouldn't like it. It's a post 60. Haven't found a pre 60 in decent shape that I can afford yet.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

adkjaq Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I'm not as radical as I once was on post mil. guns. The period immediate following they were the same except for the safety. I'm reluctant to scope one mainly cause the 308's have scopes. I don't get out hunting anymore since global warming took our season away.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have one that I shoot quite a bit. Well, I actually only bought it back in January but I have put 4+ boxes through it so far ( that is quite a bit of shooting for Northern Vt in Winter). It is scoped, when I bought it it was drilled and tapped and had bases on. I was going to try the opens but I couldn't get my face low enough on the stock. Now it wears a Bushnell (B&L) Elite 3200 2-7X. Sean

"You shouldn't say it is not good. You should say you do not like it; and then, you know, you're perfectly safe." James Whistler
J
jb Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I have a late 1950's in 358 (brass wheel and counter). with the lever safety.
<br>
<br>When I bought it, it already had a scope on it so I can't tell if it came from the factory drilled and tapped or not.
<br>The scope was an old Weaver V8. The adjustments for the scope (elevation and windage) were built in the rear mounting ring and not in the scope. I have since replaced the scope with a Leupold 3-9X Compact.
<br>I reload using 200gr. Hornady and find this guns shoots groups 1.25" or less.
<br>
<br>It was my primary deer here in MI until about two years go when I built a Model 88 Winchester into a neat little 338-308 ( which I feel is darn near a clone to a 358 but offering a better bullet selection),
<br>

a little bit of heaven is found just north of the bridge
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr><p>I have a late 1950's in 358 (brass wheel and counter).<p><hr></blockquote>
<br>What do you mean by "wheel?" I was not aware that the Model 99 design made use of any "wheels."
<br>
<br><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr><p>When I bought it, it already had a scope on it so I can't tell if it came from the factory drilled and tapped or not.<p><hr></blockquote>
<br>If the receiver ring is marked with "SAVAGE MODEL 99" to one side where it can be read, then it's factory D&T'd. With your gun a .358, it's most likely factory D&T'd for scope mounts.

J
jb Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Sorry, poor choice of words, maybe I should have said "brass magazine spool" or "brass rotory magazine", ahhhh, oh heck I bet you know exactly what I ment anyway.
<br>You're right on the scope mount. I can read both as they are not covered by the scope mount. I feel better now that I know some hack didn't do it.
<br>

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr><p>oh heck I bet you know exactly what I ment anyway.<p><hr></blockquote>
<br>Actually I didn't. That's why I asked. What 99 is it, i.e. EG, F, or R/RS?

J
jb Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I've never seen pictures posted here so I'll see if this works.
<br>
<br>You tell me what model I have (358 is the upper one, lower is a 1947 300sav.)
<br>
<br>[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Looks to be a 99F. What is the barrel length? I thought you said the wood looked bad? Looks like your average Savage stuff. Left-handed, too?

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Barrel length on both are 23"
<br>The checkering on the 358 is pretty amateurish and should be recut, but I'd opt for a nicer piece of wood with my correct LOP and much better checkering. I guess I'd save this stock should someone want "original wood" if I ever sold it.
<br>
<br>The left handed Fajen stock was the reason I bought that rifle. Being a lefty it sort of reached out and grabbed me as I walked past it. It a nice stock, and the fit is great for a scope. The only thing wrong with early 99's is the lever safety is a little tough on us lefties.
<br>
<br>Thanks for the info. I always wondered what model that 358 was.

"The older I get, the better I was"
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Check your length again. 99Fs have a 22 inch tube and will be marked as such on the barrel. 99R/RSs and 99EGs have 24 inch barrels and will bear no specific model markings aside from the receiver ring logo. Measure from the rear of the receiver ring. Savage put some pretty coarse checkering and stump-looking wood on the 99s from way back.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
And the 99F has a distinct tapered barrel; a prominent sight boss will be present in the area where the rear sight is mounted.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The 358 measured 23 1/8" from the front of the receiver to the muzzle of the barrel.
<br>
<br>The 300sav. measure 22 7/8" from the receiver to the muzzle.
<br>
<br>The 300sav. has the front ramp as part of the barrel, while the 358 looks like the front ramp was an add-on. Both just have a dovetail cut into the barrel for the rear sight.
<br>
<br>The 300sav. has Utica NY stamped on the barrel, the 358 has Chicopee Falls, Mass.

"The older I get, the better I was"
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You're not measuring right and I doubt the barrels have been bobbed either. If your .358 doesn't specifically say "99F" somewhere on the barrel and have the boss for the rear sight (swollen spot), then it's not a 99F, it's a 99R.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
If the wood is original on your 358, It's an R. The checkering on an F's forearm wraps around the bottom. The forearm on an R is much fuller than an F also. On F's, the model is marked on the right side of the barrel just forward of the receiver and the barrel is as described by Robert.
<br>R's in 358 are relatively rare, more so than F�s.
<br>Very nice looking rifle that looks to have been professionally refinished, metal and wood. Also very well scoped and mounted.
<br>

SlowGoat
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've seen a few that didn't wrap.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
JBMI,
<br>
<br>To properly measure the barrel, don't measure the barrel its self. With the action closed, gently run a cleaning rod down the barrel until it is stopped by the bolt. Then mark the cleaning rod at the muzzle end of the barrel. Pull the rod out and measure from the end of the rod to your mark. That measurement is the correct barrel length. The measurement may not be the proper original barrel length for your gun but it will be the correct length for the barrel as it is presently configured.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

491 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 06hunter59, 1OntarioJim, 1minute, 2500HD, 57 invisible), 2,114 guests, and 1,144 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,273
Posts18,505,012
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.