Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks MD, i will sleep at peace tonight knowing that grin

gunner

Trump Won!
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A plastic tip will not change the BC of the partition very much because the partition already has a pointed tip. Plastic tips deform in the magazine too, maybe not as much as soft lead, but they do deform.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
At least in 30 cal if you are worried about nose deformation you can buy the 180g Protected Point Partition.

I don't seem to have a problem with it, but the biggest cartridge I have used partitions in so far is a 338 Win. Mag.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH
The flattened tips give some guys heartburn... tired

I deliberately save them and shoot them into groups at 300-400 yards.

It doesn't matter. whistle

Guys make me laugh....gonna second guess Nosler,and "improve" the most successful BG bullet in history with stupid add ons so they have little plastic tips to look at while they mentally masturbate over the "huge differences"....funny stuff. laugh crazy

Want tips? Buy an AB or BT.Want bonded? Get a Swift Aframe or S'co II...they are all huffing and puffing to catch up to the record of the Partition on game worldwide.Good luck.

+ more

Thoughts of a plastic tip arrived in my noggin shortly after they (Nosler) began making red, green, and yellow plastic tip bullets back in ???? (I was very troubled by the mashed noses as are some here.) I was too young then to recognize wisdom. I was ripe for the copper infatuation which was developing. Ironically, after the dust has settled following the arrival of many 'new, improved' ideas in bullets design, the boring old Partition still bears the torch as a premium among premium designs.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Guys make me laugh....gonna second guess Nosler,and "improve" the most successful BG bullet in history with stupid add ons so they have little plastic tips to look at while they mentally masturbate over the "huge differences"....funny stuff. laugh crazy

Want tips? Buy an AB or BT.Want bonded? Get a Swift Aframe or S'co II...they are all huffing and puffing to catch up to the record of the Partition on game worldwide.Good luck.

I have done the same thing, but at 100, and you're right of course. The mashed noses make no difference at all.

Plastic tips? I well remember all the hoopla when they changed from screw machine turned jackets to impact extruded!

Ted

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Klik: Certain things should not be trifled with....Partitions are one of them. wink

There are plenty of other things out there to satisfy everyone. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Klik: Certain things should not be trifled with....Partitions are one of them. wink

There are plenty of other things out there to satisfy everyone. smile

Yup.
The Partition is fine just the way it is, IMO.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Tim: Hard to argue with boots (and animals)on the ground. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Bob,
Oh yes.
And the fact that some of my favorite rifles shoot the NP sub MOA doesn't hurt, either.
grin

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O

I like my partitions just like they are I do shoot the plastic tip stuff but when the shot has to be tough and true I fall back on rule # 1 that is the partition

Psalm 16:1 Preserve me, O God: for in thee do I put my trust.

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I don't understand why it has to be "all or nothing". Why couldn't they introduce a new tipped partition but leave the current production partitions alone?

You need to call it. I can't call it for you.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Dawn2Dusk
I know how well the Partition works and it's great but there is no doubt that tip deformation occurs on lots of rounds just from recoil and being in the belly of a gun. A tip would help that issue greatly.

And while they are at it, I would ask that they BOND the rear core to the jacket.

Well, how much MORE would you like to pay for those?

They've worked for so many, for so many years, why ADD to their cost when it's not needed.
Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Happily, Nosler ain't Barnes, so don't redesign a winner every few years. It seems to tme that the term "new & improved" often translates to mean "found a way to make it cheaper."
I do not believe the partition can be improved upon. Don't believe it needs to be improved. Talk about a design that has withstood the test of time! I like Partitions.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So I don't have to turn these in?
[Linked Image]

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
It's anybodys guess what nosler will do,they've managed to run off most of their talent since John died.

A tipped partition with a .5 or higher BC in the heavier weights would be great,but it would eat into the sales of accubonds and BT's which capture those that don't want partitions.Nosler isn't going to kill a line to gain some sales in another established line.

A slick tipped high BC partition would be a game changer.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Would love to know what talent Nosler has run off.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by fishdog52
Happily, Nosler ain't Barnes, so don't redesign a winner every few years.

I do not believe the partition can be improved upon. Don't believe it needs to be improved.

Right Fish - when you make it right, it DOES NOT need to be redesigned every few years.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
zxc Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Klikitarik

+ more

Thoughts of a plastic tip arrived in my noggin shortly after they (Nosler) began making red, green, and yellow plastic tip bullets back in ???? (I was very troubled by the mashed noses as are some here.) I was too young then to recognize wisdom. I was ripe for the copper infatuation which was developing. Ironically, after the dust has settled following the arrival of many 'new, improved' ideas in bullets design, the boring old Partition still bears the torch as a premium among premium designs.

No heartburn here. I just don't like the LOOK of mashed in tips, or Redheads! Some do , but I don't, there are other equally as good choices. I think the Accubond will largely displace the Partition. Especially when all the " set in yur ways types/ my pappy always saaze" are out of the picture.

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
but then there are the kids of those old farts; some of those kids will never become zealots and loonies (like us here) who will load up what pappy worked for their rifle because its accurate and it works.

My youngest son hasn't a clue that there is any more than 2 or 3 types of bullets. When I am gone he will load 125g partitions over I4350 and Nosler will be there to sell them. At least in my opinion smile GRF

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Ruger280,

Well, since you obviously didn't read the entire thread (which seems to be more normal than not on the Fire) here's a copy of my first post:

"Well, I just read through this thread and can add a little something extra to the post that have already pointed out that Nosler makes AccuBonds, E-Tips and Ballistic Tips for hunters who want plastic in their bullets.

"Additionally, I've been told by my friends at Nosler that when they started expanding (excuse the pun) the bullet line beyond the John Nosler-designed Partitions and Ballistic Tips that John himself told the rest of the people in the company to keep their hands off his Partition!

"Since Nosler is a family-run company, I suspect that admonition alone will keep any plastic from ever defiling the front core of Nosler Partitions."

Comprende?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 1OntarioJim, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 72 invisible), 2,363 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,714
Posts18,494,515
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.