Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
GSSP Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I've been invited to compete in a 24hour Sniper Challenge in No. Utah this late July. My partner is early 20's/Spec Ops type. I'll have just turned 54 a few weeks earlier. We'll be covering about 30 miles, over desert mountainous terrain with elev from 4800' to 6500', with an additional 6 mile land nav course for extra points. I read the winning team will likely cover about 2.5 mph on average. We have to carry everything with us. No support team allowed. Weapon, ammo (50 rds), support gear (socks, lights, 1st aid, compass/maps, etc), water, Eberlestock Gunslinger II pack. My partner will carrying the AR15 for shots out to 500 yds. We each carry a handgun with 100 yds of ammo. For me, a 1911, probably in a Blackhawk drop leg Serpa Tactical holser. Since I'll be the LR shooter for this event I'll need to shoot to 1200 yds which is doable with my Surgeon actioned 6.5x47 in an AICS stock and NF 5.5-22x50mm; about 17 lbs. At this point, I'm guessing a 30 lb pack; maybe more.

I've lost 18 lbs since May and am still loosing a little bit at a time. I'm 6' tall and weigh 206. I plan on getting to about 180-190 by the time we compete. Have never had any leg or ankle/feet injuries. Other than the weight, I'm in good phys shape; approved to donate my left kidney to my wife.

Should be about 1/2 to 2/3 moon around 27-29 July. Headlamp should be enough along with my Surefire E2L Outdoorsman.

1. What type of training would you suggest? Mostly cardio mixed with some weights? Mostly lower body vs upper body?
2. What type of food intake over the next 6 months?
3. What type and amount of food intake during the event?
5. How much water should I carry?
6. What medication, if any, should I take before, during and after the event to ease any pain?

Any and all help will most appreciated.

Alan

Last edited by GSSP; 01/18/12.
GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Lose 20 years?

I really don't know. At 55 I'm in decent shape, but nowhere near the condition I was at 35. I'd have to do a lot of cardio and lose some weight.

Good luck, and looking forward to the report!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sounds like an awesome event. I would focus on trail running with long weekend fastpacking trips carrying the gear you plan to use in the event. Don't worry about your age. Sounds like you are plenty healthy and I've seen plenty of 50 year olds throw down some pretty nasty times in ultradistance trail races.

Practice using different food sources during your long hikes to figure out your nutrition plan. I would do some research on fueling during ultramarathons. Generally you are looking at 300 calories/hr and 20 to 30 oz of water/hr.

G
GSSP Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
If I can average 2 mph over the 36 miles, that works out to 3.5 gal of water per person. That's 28 lbs of water alone. Could this be right?

Alan

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The numbers I threw up are the general rule for a 100 mile trail race. The pace would be around 4mph and the day is usually hot. You are going to be less than that but it will still be a lot of water. Do you have to carry it all?

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jigman222
Sounds like an awesome event. I would focus on trail running with long weekend fastpacking trips carrying the gear you plan to use in the event. Don't worry about your age. Sounds like you are plenty healthy and I've seen plenty of 50 year olds throw down some pretty nasty times in ultradistance trail races.

Practice using different food sources during your long hikes to figure out your nutrition plan. I would do some research on fueling during ultramarathons. Generally you are looking at 300 calories/hr and 20 to 30 oz of water/hr.

Spot on....

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
GSSP- Where in No. Utah? Just curious. Sounds like a blast.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GSSP
I've been invited to compete in a 24hour Sniper Challenge in No. Utah this late July. Alan

Any link to the event?

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

G
GSSP Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Here is a link to the competition. It will also show the location. And yes, we carry it all.

Alan

http://competition-dynamics.com/24-hour-sniper-adventure-challenge-2012/

G
GSSP Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Just read that water refillling at check points is available. Thank goodness!

Alan

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Alan,

During my two year training routine for my sheep hunt, I did all kinds of different training and dieting. The things that helped me the most were:

Long hikes with a full pack, every other day. I had 3 different 5-mile hikes. I started with 35#, and worked up to 71#.

Bicycling! I blew out one of my knees 1 month before the trip, so I started biking 15-30 miles a day...and pushing it hard! I feel that was the single most important thing I did to improve my cardio in the year before my trip! I was in excellent shape before I started biking...but it made me better.

I never cut meat out of my diet, in fact I prob added some. But I had salads, vegetables, or steamed veggies with every meal. And ate every 2 to 2-1/2 hours to increase my metabolism.

I would suggest eating right, hiking with 40-45#, and get yourself a good hybred bike (mine is a "Specialized"), and push your cardio as hard as you can. I don't really think all the weightlifting I did on my inbetween hiking days, helped all that much. I prob could have used them for recovery.

Good luck, looking forward to hearing more about it.

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Are you used to hunting, hiking shooting at elevation? If not, you have to increase your hemoglobin to increase your oxygen carrying capacity. The only way to do that is Cardio training, especially if you do circuits. I would agree that full pack fastbacking with your gear would be a must, this will help. One of the best exercises you can do is to sprint for 1 minute and then cool down for 3 min, then sprint for 1 minute, then cool down. This will increase your bodies ability to sustain in overdrive for a while.As well as prepare your body for fast cool downs, allowing your heart rate to bottom out faster once you stop for your shots.

Think of it as this: An engine can do 55 mph all day but when needed can accelerate to greater speeds. Your body will perform better at "55" if you have trained it for "85".

Proteins are great for muscle rebuilding and long term energy storage but you will need some quick carbohydrates as well. when I hiked the AP, we ate a lot of almonds for sustained low weight energy compliance, but also ate M&M's occasionally when we knew there would be a hard short burst hike or climb ahead of us. Water is critical, make sure you can carry enough, and yes it is heavy.
Good luck and kick some butt!

Enough already, just shoot it!
Z
Z
Hi,

Yes, you will be able to refill water at some checkpoints, but there will be areas on the property with no water available.

-z

G
GSSP Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Some great ideas guys. Keep'em coming. I live at 4754' elev so the elev change won't be that much difference for me; thank goodness!

I also have two bladders that will carry 1.3 gal in my pack; about 10-11 lbs.

Alan

Z
Z
We were out there scouting the property last weekend. I recommend doing a lot of hill climbing with a backpack on.

G
GSSP Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Zak,

Welcome to the CampFire. Folks, meet Zak Smith, match director of the shoot I hope to compete in.

Want to ask anyone who has TONS of experience with 6.5 caliber tactical carts (6.5 CM, 6.5x47, 260 Rem, etc)? Ask Zak.

Alan

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You guys are going to feel uber pain with that kind of load trying to make time!!!!

I'm glad it's not me going. I like to amble now.

Conrad101st
1/503 Inf., 2nd ID (90-91)
3/327 Inf., 101st ABN (91-92)
G
GSSP Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Pain just lets me know I'm still alive and......in pain cry

Alan

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Alan,

Throw a 35# bag of cat litter, and some misc. in that pack, and get after it. I want weekly updates. grin

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

G
GSSP Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by yukonal
Alan,

Throw a 35# bag of cat litter, and some misc. in that pack, and get after it. I want weekly updates. grin

That's the plan. I live, as my moniker says, hear the mouth of not only one but two canyons. Hobble Creek is quite mild, where as Whiting canyon has a pretty sharp incline that tops out at a USFS campground and then it continues on up to 10,200' Spanish Fork peak.....and it's a damn steep climb too.

Alan

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (1minute, 160user, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 1234, 1Longbow, 57 invisible), 1,920 guests, and 1,106 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,901
Posts18,498,117
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.