-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A 4 page Hurt Feeler Report over a French Army joke?

The pussification of America is on schedule...

Group hug followed by a Kumbaya sing along will conclude todays sensitivity training.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Have you ever actually worked with the French?

Out of all the european countries we overflew France was the worst! Dumb aze bassturds always thought we were spying on them. Not counting the fact they wouldn't allow the U.S. to build an airbase in their sacred country. sick

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by T LEE
Yep.

And what is all this post count stuff I hear folks muttering about???? smile smile
One guy with multiple handles talking to himself.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
Did you hear about the mint condition WWII french rifle at ArmsList? It has never been fired but it was dropped once.

GOA
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
sorry 'bout that there.......

GOA
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Great post herr Doktor, I totally agree. Anybody with a modicum of historical perspective know France produced some great brave soldiers. Hell at Verdun they suffered sixty THOUSAND casualties-IN ONE HOUR! and fought well. They were just not prepared for new tactics and technologies like at Sedan in 1870 and Blitzkreig in 1940, and yes their tanks were superior to the Germans at the time, their tactics sucked.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
grin laugh

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
A 4 page Hurt Feeler Report over a French Army joke?

The pussification of America is on schedule...

Group hug followed by a Kumbaya sing along will conclude todays sensitivity training.

Now this is well said ! Lighten up on the french toast crap

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good post Doc

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
A little known historical detail is that the Vikings were, for the most part, from the region now know as Denmark. In the Danish national museum in Copenhagen, there is a display related to a Viking invasion of Paris--they sailed in a thousand ships. The French surrendered immediately, and the Vikings were SO disappointed--all that boring sailing and not a good fight at the end.

At least that is the Danes' take on it.

So dinging on the French is neither new, nor restricted to Yanks.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." --- General George S. Patton "

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by writing_frog

Want to thank you all friends. Don't worry! I will survive.

My father fought with the german army on eastern front, pushed by the russians he surrendered to Patton's army in Vienna. He always had respect for american soldiers, and remembered it was the first time he had something good to eat for three years. Then the french were looking soldiers, for him it was prisonner camp or war he choose war!
Going to Indochina to fight against japanese. The surrender of Japan turned them against the reds in what would be know as Viet Nam later. Then it was Algeria...I made my studies in military school and served a bit in a paratrooper unit (Lebanon). Was out for Desert Storm 1 but some of my friends were scouting for the Us Army (2eme Regiment Etranger) and went to the suburbs of Bagdad...
My grand father, mother side, fought in WW1 from 1925 to 1918 then was in all the french wars (Lebanon, Syria, Marocco, etc till 1940)

Normally i don't answer to "french jokes" but today was hard day and i was a bit upset.

Thank you again.

Dom

Dom,
Your input to this forum is greatly appreciated and so is your country's contribution to my country's independence. Many thanks.

Expat

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
French soldiers were good men, sure, but their leadership produced Vichy France.

I think French leadership really re-defined itself when it offered military assistance to repress the uprising in Tunisia this Spring, the day before the regime fell.

We may have the politicians we deserve, but, Mon Dieu, the French have it worse... JMO, Dutch.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I have never been in combat so it would be silly for me to dump on the French.

Some negative experienes though....

In the summer of 1975 I drove my VW microbus up the Gaspe Peninsula, spoke comprehensible French at that time (a few years later it was worse, but French-speaking West Africans understood me just fine), I got absolutely stonewalled by the Quebecois, left a sour impression.

A few years later in Ghana, it was understood by all expats in-country, even tbe Japanese, that you ALWAYS picked up another expat waiting by the side of the highway. I followed the same rule when I happened to be at the wheel.

The only ones who ignored that rule? The French.

A few times I was standing by the side of the road waiting sometimes for hours for one of the infrequent buses. Along comes a landrover, who would invariably stop to offer you a lift... unless the writing on the vehicle was french frown

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Doc Rocket with that description of the General's lack of attributes, I thought you were talking about monty from some of the accounts, he likely got a lot of Americans hurt/killed

Last edited by LouisB; 01/19/12.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dutch
French soldiers were good men, sure, but their leadership produced Vichy France.

I think French leadership really re-defined itself when it offered military assistance to repress the uprising in Tunisia this Spring, the day before the regime fell.

We may have the politicians we deserve, but, Mon Dieu, the French have it worse... JMO, Dutch.

Vichy France was a DIRECT result of the absolute carnage of Verdun. Marshal Petain successfully commanded the French Troops and stopped the German offensive there at a cost that we just cannot fathom. The French lost 600,000 men in 6 months of that Battle from Hell. More than we lost in WWll. Petain never wanted to see France bled white again. NOTHING America ever experienced came anywhere close to Verdun and that battle alone accounts for a LOT of post WWl French military thinking. French Soldiers had balls so big they needed a wheelbarrow to carry them. Their "leaders" were pitiful.

Last edited by EvilTwin; 01/19/12.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
Not to detract from the gist of your thread and get bogged down in minutia but...as not much of a scholar of WWII, I find it amazing that the French had the biggest army at the beginning of that conflict. Seriously? They weren't more well-equipped than Germany surely?

the French had a larger army and about equal numbers of tanks to the Germans in 1940. they, like the Brits, horribly mismanaged their armor, committing it piecemeal...in "penny packets" as the Brits called it, rather than concentrating their armor like the Germans did.

French losses in the 45 days of the battle of France:
- 330,000 losses (92,000-120,000 KIAs and 210,000-240,000 WIA/MIA)
- 1,450,000 prisoners
- 892 aircraft

The French fought bravely for a while, but became demoralized by the German thrusts, and their domination of the air, and the political turmoil and incompetence of the generals.

One need only look at what Napoleon accomplished with a peasant conscript army to see that Frenchmen can fight if they are properly equipped and competently led.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
XL5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rome at one time was the greatest, most powerful nation the world had ever seen, but that couldn't stop it collapsing under the weight of its own depravity.

The French, OTOH, didn't even have the decency to collapse properly.

Alle Fähigkeit ist vergeblich, wenn ein Engel in Ihrem Notenloch uriniert
-- old German proverb
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I am long and slow regarding this conversation. I work for a company who deals with both French and German Aviation Products. I think one would be very shortsighted if one were to make such a determiniation.

Both the French and the Germans exhibited Courage. It is importantant to acknowledge that on both sides. Courage is Courage!!!!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
"In Paris they simply stared when I spoke to them in French; I never did succeed in making those idiots understand their language."
Mark Twain

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (1936M71, 2500HD, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1lessdog, 63 invisible), 2,188 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,670
Posts18,493,728
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.