Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
It appears that my baby sister (she's gonna be 54 here in a couple months) is finally getting married. Nuptials will be in Edmonton in late July. My Lady and I are making plans to come up for the wedding.

She has never been to Alberta, so I'm keen to show her some of the best of Alberta's wilds in a 4-day whirlwind tour. We'll fly into Calgary, stay with my dad for one night, then tool up to Edmonton on 7/21 for the wedding. Hit the road that night, stay in Edson or Hinton. That's as far as I've got it down so far.

I am torn between carrying on into Jasper and then down to Lake Louise, parking the car and putting on backpacks for an overnight trip up to Eiffel Lake above Moraine Lake, or perhaps over Sentinel Pass for a day hike, or alternatively taking the Forestry Trunk road south from Hinton and fishing the Ram. I have more experience with the backcountry in Banff park than along Hwy 22, though. Any late intelligence on the conditions along the FTR?

After that we'll cruise the Bow Valley Parkway down thru Banff (gotta hit the Banff Springs for dinner!) and then down to K-country. There are a couple of high mountain lakes there that are easy day hikes and have spectacular views, not to mention decent cutthroat fishing.

Finally, I want to head south to the Crowsnest and Pincher Creek area. Is the flyfishing on the Crowsnest still wonderful?

I'd like to swing east to show her Brooks and the Hanna country, my old bird hunting grounds, but in July it won't be the same as it is in the fall and I'm not sure there'll be time.

Anyways, I'm probably forgetting a hundred must-see places. Any ideas, boys?

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Doc;
I trust this finds you and yours well and that the southern contingent is staying warmer than we seem to be.

The itinerary you�ve laid out seems to be a pretty sound foundation to me and you�ll be taking in some of the best scenery Alberta has to offer.

If you�ve not been there yet and are interested in such things, our family really enjoyed the interpretive center at Head Smashed in Buffalo Jump. It�s mainly staffed by members of the Blackfeet nation which adds an air of authenticity to the whole experience we felt.

Here�s a link to them:
http://www.head-smashed-in.com/info.html

The drive south through the Bow Valley Parkway is certainly � in our opinion anyway � a must see if at all possible.

If I think of anything else I�ll either add it here or drop you a line.

All the best to you in your family wedding and the travels to and from.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Doc,

Your trip plans look pretty inclusive to what Alberta has to offer.
My choice would be the FTR to Ram Falls or alternatively, 22 to Rocky Mountain House, west on 11 to Nordegg then south on the FTR to Ram Falls. The entire FTR of course is a scenic drive of course but the road can be rough. I haven`t been along that stretch in a few years now. Last time was in an Oct blizzard looking for Mule Deer between Ram Falls and Nordegg. I would check FTR condition closer to your travel time as it is still a rough road mostly.
The Crowsnest Pass area.....what can I say, I plan to die there. The fishing is still excellent and getting better IMHO. I drove the FTR from K-Country to Coleman last year with a good friend from Maine. Good road, lots of camping, gives great access to the smaller backcountry creeks that make SW Alberta famous.
Brooks and Hanna area: If we get the moisture we had last spring, you wouldn`t believe how green the prairie was. Waterfowl everywhere. It would be well worth the side trip if you have time. I live less than an hour east of Brooks. Cypress Hills would be another suggestion for a visit. THere are a couple of very cool little trout creeks in there that I frequent.
Hope some of this helps. FTR route assumes you will be driving a truck.
Jeff

Last edited by troutfly; 01/19/12. Reason: sp
G
GRF Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
If you have a leaning to the ancient, the Tyrell museum in Drumheller, a the Tipple tour at the Royal Monarch museum near East Coulee downstream from Drumheller. It would not be too tough to tie into Brooks and Hanna. Just a couple of thoughts. GRF

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Ya know I have always said, I love Texans, but never was overly impressed with Texas...

But I have also said, I love Albertans.. but I have always been super impressed with Alberta...

if I had to chose somewhere else to live in North America, besides where I live now...It would be Alberta, hands down...

spent 2 years doing business up there when I was a regional manager for a Canadian based company, covering the Pacific NW, the Upper Midwest ( Oregon to Omaha) and then western Canada..

I loved every second of it... I'd go and visit Alberta in a heart beat....

No finer people can be found anywhere than Alberta...regardless if there are other wonderful places with wonderful people... Alberta is tops on my list...

Like a big Colorado with a Texan's attitude...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
I would spend a day on the Crows nest and the Bow River.
The Old Man has some big bull trout.

I fish them every year . bring your fly rod

O
O
If your wife has never been here do jasper down to banff. Hit all the stops,, honestly that trip is 2 days if you are not rushing it,, and why would you want to rush it,, that place is amazing! Hit the gondola rides in jasper and banff, the glacier, definitely go into moraine lake,, that is the most incredible spot on the face of the earth as far as im concerned.

Make Banff the last stop,, because I can gaurantee when your wife sees the shopping there,, you are going to be there a day for sure! Make sure you book rooms in adavnce,, that is the busy season. Oh and remember I know its july,, but its a bad idea to wear shorts and id have a light jacket with you at the minimum!

Id stay off the forestry trunk road. Lots of oil and gas work in there,, why do you want to see a bunch of rigs running up and down that road.

Oh and you are planning 4 days,, what the he** its a vacation.. make it a week and enjoy it!

Last edited by outdoorfool; 01/19/12.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
If you're looking for some fishing action, Cold Lake is only 3 hours drive NE of Edmonton. Trolling for Lakers on downriggers is great fun. Cold Lake straddles the Ab/Sask border, and is magnificent.

Heading South it's about 3 1/2 hours drive to Hanna,
then it's an hour West into Drumheller.
Boreal forest, Parkland, Prairies, + Badlands makes for diverse scenery along the way.

Lots of great choices !

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You have a good itinerary.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

658 members (10Glocks, 160user, 163bc, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 75 invisible), 2,340 guests, and 1,340 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,961
Posts18,480,521
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.