Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
chas1 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Anyone on this site cure any type of meat. We just did our annual Itialian supresa sausage. 1000lb in 8 hours. Good stuff when total done.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep, lots do. I do my own bacon, I literally just finished a corned venison roast, we do our own brats, and I make a cured and hot smoked venison product from the larger roasts. Cured meat is fantastic!

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by selmer
Yep, lots do. I do my own bacon, I literally just finished a corned venison roast, we do our own brats, and I make a cured and hot smoked venison product from the larger roasts. Cured meat is fantastic!
How do you corn your venison, I saved two front shoulders from this years deer to do.

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used the recipe from Brian Polcyn and Michael Ruhlman's book "Charcuterie". It's this one:

Recipe: Corned Beef

Adapted from "Charcuterie" by Michael Ruhlman and Brian Polcyn

Time: 30 minutes for preparing brine, 5 days for curing brisket, 3 hours for cooking

2 cups kosher salt
� cup sugar
5 teaspoons sodium nitrite, optional (pink salt, #1 instacure, etc.)
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 tablespoons pickling spice )divided)
1 5-pound beef brisket

1. In pot large enough to hold brisket, combine 1 gallon of water with kosher salt, sugar, sodium nitrite (if using), garlic and 2 tablespoons pickling spice. Bring to a simmer, stirring until salt and sugar are dissolved. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature, then refrigerate until chilled.

2. Place brisket in brine, weighted with a plate to keep it submerged; cover. Refrigerate for 5 days.

3. Remove brisket from brine and rinse thoroughly. Place in a pot just large enough to hold it. Cover with water and add remaining pickling spice. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer gently until brisket is fork-tender, about 3 hours, adding water if needed to cover brisket.

4. Keep warm until ready to serve. Meat can be refrigerated for several days in cooking liquid. Reheat in the liquid or serve chilled. Slice thinly and serve on a sandwich or with additional vegetables simmered until tender in the cooking liquid.

Yield: 8 to 10 servings.

Note: Sodium nitrite is sold under various names. It is available from the Butcher & Packer Supply Company (butcher-packer.com) as DQ Curing Salt.

It was stupid easy and came out great. Not beef, but very, very good. Seems a bit "denser" than beef, maybe because of the lack of fat, but it's fantastic!

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
Thanks time to go shopping

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've done cured hams from wild hogs. Summer sausage from venison. Having some raw pork belly in the freezer that I plan to make into bacon.

also have done corned venison... I used a bottom round and a brisket off the venison versus a front shoulder but I think you could do about anything as long as you cooked it correctly. I had thought about making something more along the lines of a pastrami versus a traditional "corned beef" style but I need to by a deli slicer if I am going to go that route... I used a kit but its basically the same as the above recipe.

Andrew
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
On the trapline we used to dry beaver meat. The big muscles from the back legs we would slice thin rolling and cutting kind of like plywood off a peeler core, pepper and hang high over the campfire with just enough smoke to keep the flies off. When breakable dry put in plastic bags to munch on while out on the line or to add to a pot of stew at night when there were no fresh backstraps. Livers got fried for breakfast with onions.

Last edited by erich; 01/21/12.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 160user, 1moredeer, 60 invisible), 14,316 guests, and 1,129 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,282
Posts18,545,142
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.