Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
We all at some time in our lives have had the misfortune to have been subjected to foods that simply have no earthly reason to pass the lips of any one. I have several but will save the gory details for another time. However some of the foods involve body parts from marine mammals and strange plants that grow in the ocean.
<br>
<br>Lets hear you story.
<br>
<br>Bullwnkl.

Money talks Bull [bleep] walks
Business as usual
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Worst stuff I ever tasted was whaleburger,kind of like fish flavored hamburger.Come to think of it,I guess with the whaling ban it probably is already illegal.Should have been done along time ago,or at least before I was forced to eat it as a kid. Best tasting stuff?Octopus if prepared properly.
<br>Jeff

Jeff

I'm NOT the JScottRupp of Wolfe Publishing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Poi-- I have never been to Hawaii but a "friend" fixed some from a supposedly anchient Hawaiian recipe. Awful stuff. Like eating cold snot. The reason there are no anchient Hawaiians is because they all died of Poi poison. Maybe that's why they only use the first three letters of the word to name it.
<br>
<br>Blutwurst. Not there isn't hardly any part of a hog that I won't eat but I draw the line right there. I tried it, I don't care for it at all.
<br>
<br>BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Two European nuns visiting New York noticed the sign on a hot-dog stand. Remembered that Indians used to eat dogs but didn't realize that anybody still did.
<br>
<br>Curious, they bought a couple to see how they tasted. The first nun blushed when she unwrapped hers.
<br>
<br>"Which part did you get?" she asked the other nun.
<br>
<br>

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I vote that we outlaw turkey flavor spreadables. Worst tasting stuff I ever had to eat.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For all the ex-military types who are old enough to remember C rats. Shall we have a moment of silence and mutual loathing for HAM AND M----R F-----S.
<br>BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Boggy, long after the military dropped the old C rations, we not only had to eat 'em on forest fires in the high country, we also had to pack 'em up there in our fire packs. On one fire 'way up in smoke-jumper country, we ran out of C rations, and most of the hot restaurant meals air-dropped to us got hung-up in snags that our work-tired old Pulaskis couldn't handle. The one 'chute that got all the way down to the ground had only bread, fruit cake, and green beans. Two or three highly exertive days at 9,000 feet without food will -- I guaran-dang-tee you -- do wonders for what your palate will not only tolerate but CRAVE. At the time, I hated green beans. That day, I ate bread and fruit cake until I got tired of both -- then those hot green beans were DELICIOUS. Never since have I had the slightest antipathy for hot green beans.
<br>
<br>I haven't tried the newer MREs ("meals ready to eat"), which General Schwartzkopf [I think] called "three lies for the price of one" and other GIs have called "Meals Rejected by Ethiopians." But I bet those GIs would love MREs if their earlier fare, for years, had been C rations -- especially the ancient 1940s C rations that we were eating in the high country in the Fifties, Sixties, and Seventies.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You guys are right, there are worse things than turkey spreadables. And leate it to good old Uncle Sam to invent them.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You guys really do not want to get me started on this. What about chicken stomachs? monkey brains, wasp larve in chili sauce, just to name a few of the more palatable. Then there are the 1000 year old eggs. Duck eggs that have been sat on by the mother for about three weeks so the embryo forms, boiled in soy sauce and buried in horse manure for a month. Yum, yum. Then there is stinky tofu. Smells like the worst stopped up sewer you have ever smelled, but actually tastes pretty good. Never a dull moment over here in a restaurant. Just do not ask what it is. Just taste. If you like it, eat it but do not ask what it is. You probably do not want to know. TM

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BCR,
<br>
<br>I was lucky and actually developed a taste for "green eggs and ham". Ah, there is nothing quite like eating semi-frozen C-rations that have been warmed up on the engine of duce and a half on the range at Graf or Wildflecken. I still get flashbacks when I smell diesel exhaust before the crack of dawn. Stand to and cold food. No matter what combination of three you picked, hungry was always there.
<br>
<br>Too hot or too cold
<br>Too wet or too dry
<br>Hungry or well fed
<br>
<br>Sincerely,
<br>
<br>Bearrr264
<br>
<br>PS I'll let you borrow my P-38 if you'll trade me your can of ham and eggs for my cans of fruit cake and jam.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bearrr I still got a John Wayne or two hanging around some where. [Linked Image] Acually green eggs and ham ain't too bad with enough tabasco sauce. The old APC we bounced around, you know , the ones that an RPG would only go half way through, had an exaust pipe just the right size. Run a coat hanger wire with a hook on the end up the exaust pipe and stack the cans on. Warmed them up quick.
<br>As to Ham and M---er F---ers I only knew one guy who ate Ham and Lima beans like he liked them and he was certifiably crazy.
<br>BCR
<br>
<br>

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I grew up eating Ham and Lima beans only mom would only put one ham hock in the pot for flavor. Thought I was in with a bunch of dummies, they trade me all their cigs. candy bar and fruit and Ham and Limas just for my beef, and the H&LB had real chuncks of ham in it, but then I like a couple of slabs of Usinger Blood and Tongue on hard rye with a good horseradish mustard.
<br>
<br>There were a few items in Taiwan that were a little hard to swallow but most of them didn't taste too bad, the adage don't ask what it was till it's digested was a real good rule to live by over there. I just fguered that if it didn't kill 300 million chinese it couldn't be all bad.
<br>
<br>Good Eating
<br>erich

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image] so your're the one. Glad to see you made it! [Linked Image]
<br>
<br>BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BCR,
<br>
<br>I'm so old that I remember when M113s had 283 Chevy engines in them. I learned quickly that it was safer to ride on top of an M113, because even with a layer of sandbags and heavy rubber mats, a mine or an RPG round always wounded and often killed everyone inside. Riding in an M113 gave you the same false sense of security that many people exhibit when they drive on ice in vehicles equiped with 4WD and anti-lock brakes.
<br>
<br>In those days and in those places, I usually ate my 'rats uncooked, since they were almost always hot from the environment.
<br>
<br>IHTFP!
<br>
<br>Bearrr264

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Brussel sprouts, I simply cannot stand them. I've eaten some more exotic dishes, and enjoy most, but brussel sprouts is the one thing that is on my X list. My wife asks that I don't mention my distaste for them when the kids are supposed to eat theres, but I don't see what good it is to make them eat something I can't stand.
<br>
<br>I tried some fried salmon roe last night, and I won't be making that dish again. There are also recipes for the milt, but I haven't been brave enough to take it home and try any of them. I would like to mix up some roe with salt and lemon juice for some salmon caviar, that I do like. I also need to to get some more wood on the smoker, got a test batch in there, nothing like good cold smoked salmon, mmmmm good.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bearrr [Linked Image] Oh Yeah, on the 113. And the FNGs always thought they were safe as in a church.
<br>
<br>Hadn't thought about IHTFP in years. Always just before dawn one lonely voice out in the bushes and the plantive cry IHTFP!!!
<br>
<br>But the peaches were good
<br>
<br>BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BCR,
<br>
<br>Peaches good!
<br>
<br>Fruit cake and chocolate nut roll bad!
<br>
<br>How about warm, highly chlorinated water, with just a little mud to flavor it straight from the "buffalo" or from a lister bag?
<br>
<br>Do you still have your poncho liner? I do and don't (hardly) leave home without it!
<br>
<br>Sincerely,
<br>
<br>Bearrr264
<br>
<br>PS As we patrol down memory lane, remember to watch for mines!
<br>
<br>

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

319 members (1lessdog, 1_deuce, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1minute, 44 invisible), 2,370 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,204
Posts18,503,807
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.