Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Visited with the guys from Forbes Rifles Inc. at SHOT this week, with the booth being next to NULA's I also got a chance to talk with Melvin about the project.

First off let me say that handling the rifles they were every bit as well put together and balanced as a NULA. A guy by the name of Jonathan Brawn is heading up the operation as VP, he is a mechanical engineer by trade and has been working primarily with military contracts for the last 20+ years and decided to branch out with this venture.

He has several actions there in the white and they looked pristine the machining and quality were great.

The action model 24B is being offered currently and will be available on shelves, in their estimate, within 5-6 months. At that time they will begin to roll out their model 20B with a few standard cartridge options, although they have not decided on exactly which ones at this point.

The stocks used will be made by Melvin to the same standards that the NULA rifles are made to.

The barrels are manufactured by ER Shaw, they had tested several different barrel manufactures and felt the ER Shaw gave them the most consistent quality at the price point.

The only thing left to do is buy a couple and...

GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The barrels are manufactured by ER Shaw, they had tested several different barrel manufactures and felt the ER Shaw gave them the most consistent quality at the price point.

What about all the stuff I've read about Bulldog Barrels? Are they tied up with Shaw?

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Not sure where the Bulldog barrels rumor came from, they said that they tested many different manufactures, so Bulldog could have been one of them. Not sure if they are "tied up" with Shaw but that is who is making their barrels at the moment. I would imagine that as along as the quality standard is maintained there would be no reason to change that.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here is where the 'rumor' came from:

http://forbesriflellc.com.mytempweb.com/News/TheKeefeReport.aspx

It's an article from NRA by Mark Keefe who appears to have had one in hand and interviewed Melvin about it.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Is Forbes using Shaw barrels on all their guns? I know the old ULA used Douglas barrels.

IC B2

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Is Forbes using Shaw barrels on all their guns? I know the old ULA used Douglas barrels.

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by pointer

It's an article from NRA by Mark Keefe who appears to have had one in hand and interviewed Melvin about it.

I see, it has been a few months since that article is published and probably more than that since the interview was done. They must have made a change along the way.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Knwh51

From the NULA website at http://www.newultralight.com/HTML/ultralight-arms.html

"While virtually any barrel available may be specified, Douglas premium Grade barrels are featured and recommended for Ultimate rifles.

Why? Ultra light Arms discovered during the experience of building thousands of rifles that Douglas barrels are manufactured to extremely precise tolerances. Douglas produces barrel blanks that are absolutely straight, and always bored to true center. Accuracy enhancing button rifling is engraved with excruciating precision. These barrels shoot straight and, more importantly stay straight, shot after shot."

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Odd that Shaw is the barrel now rather than Bulldog...not that I have experience with either of them (that I know of). I wouldn't think it's a good thing for that to change when they seemed set previously....I guess it's better to change before production than after.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My guess a key word in the statement is PRICE POINT. Performance at a price point.

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Be cool to see what offerings the short action is in. A 8" twist 22-250 9" twist 243 and 9" 708 would be sweet!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Pugs

From the NULA website at http://www.newultralight.com/HTML/ultralight-arms.html

"While virtually any barrel available may be specified, Douglas premium Grade barrels are featured and recommended for Ultimate rifles.

Why? Ultra light Arms discovered during the experience of building thousands of rifles that Douglas barrels are manufactured to extremely precise tolerances. Douglas produces barrel blanks that are absolutely straight, and always bored to true center. Accuracy enhancing button rifling is engraved with excruciating precision. These barrels shoot straight and, more importantly stay straight, shot after shot."

No, only on the new production Forbes Rifle, not the NULA's.

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H

The NULA guns use Douglas barrels unless you specify something else. They also measure the barrels they choose, although I don't know their acceptance criteria.

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I now of a great machinist/gun builder up here in Alberta that will use whatever you bring him for a barrel, and has used quite a few Shaw barrels for customers and himself. He thinks they are quite a bargain and hasn't had any accuracy issues to speak of on hunting rifles.

Can't wait to get one in Canada.

AF
Let your work be shown to your servants, and your glorious power to their children.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by heavywalker
Originally Posted by pointer

I see, it has been a few months since that article is published and probably more than that since the interview was done. They must have made a change along the way.
That would be my guess as well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can see some very good things come from this venture. First of all, there are some people that could not afford a NULA that can afford a Forbes. Secondly, Melvin can now focus on keeping the NULA rifles the very best quality without compromising to a price point. Not everyone can afford the best, but some can, and there needs to always be a "best" out there to keep standards and personal asperations high.

I love American manufacturers that make quality products. I wish Mr. Forbes and all the folks at both companies the very best of good fortune.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by heavywalker
At that time they will begin to roll out their model 20B with a few standard cartridge options, although they have not decided on exactly which ones at this point.

I will give one of these a try when they start taking orders for them. 7mm-08

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by mathman

What about all the stuff I've read about Bulldog Barrels? Are they tied up with Shaw?

I doubt it. Here's their web site.

http://www.bulldogbarrels.com/

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Does anyone know how the Forbes Rifle will be distributed, in stocking gun shops or through mail order by an FFL?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
djs,

Yep, Bulldog is a company that makes a number things, and only makes rifle barrels in bulk, not individually for custom jobs.

The first Forbes prototypes used Bulldog barrels, but Melvin told me a couple-three months ago they were looking at other suppliers, especially E.R. Shaw.

In general, in the decade or so since Shaw retooled, I've found their barrels to be very good, similar to quality to Douglas.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

658 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 219 Wasp, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 56 invisible), 2,570 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,635
Posts18,512,118
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.