Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
I'm considering a drive from Toronto to Prince Rupert in mid may, on the transcanada Hwy. I'm stealing one of your females, and that's when the visa paperwork should be done. Anybody ever do it? Looks like a haul, but figure it'd be a hell of a trip to do, and probably never have the opportunity to do it again.

GB1

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I've done prince George to Timmins a few times.

You would really have to have a burning inner desire to see what prairie looks like to get anything out of it.

The Rockies are nice, but given your in the coast mtns I doubt you'd be that impressed with them either.

C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
I could see the prairies being a bit boring.. Stores/gas stations pretty common along the hwy, or do you really need to plan things out?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The stretch between Kenora,ON and Vermillion Bay, ON is a death rd.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Why so?

I driven it numerous times and apart from occasional construction, never had any delays or problems.

Jim

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by BWalker

It has gotten better since they added the passing lanes going up hills. It is a slow stretch of road though.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B

I have been driving this stretch of road for 40+ yrs,still alive.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calvin
I could see the prairies being a bit boring.. Stores/gas stations pretty common along the hwy, or do you really need to plan things out?

Stores and gas stations are pretty common. As long as you can get a few hundred km's between fill ups, you'll be fine.

I agree that the drive is 80% boring and 20% interesting/beautiful.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
You're stealing one of our girls?

We have laws against kidnapping up here you know. wink

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not many locals are killed on the Vermillion Bay to Kenora section of road. It seems a heavy foot and inattentiveness( is that even a word) are the biggest problems. Pay attention and it is a beautiful piece of country.

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Calvin;
With the understanding that I've driven the highways from Winnipeg to Prince Rupert and have not driven east of Winnipeg as yet, I would suggest the following.

In the main it's pretty good road heading west from Winnipeg and depending on where you begin to swing northward, as has been said there are plenty of fuel stops available. Certainly more than say running through some parts of rural Wyoming where I recall being very pleased to see they sold gas in Lusk! laugh

My cyber friend Jordan probably hit the mathematical equation dead on regarding the 80% just driving and the 20% seeing interesting stuff.

That said, if indeed you aren't likely to ever do it again and you can spend the time, there are certainly worse activities I can think of.

The locals in some of the out of the way spots in particular can be great and when one has time to not rush the trip and meet a few it can make a trip. I know we've certainly found that when we've traveled through rural Washington, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Nebraska and Colorado thus far.

Hopefully that was some use to you and please don't hesitate to drop me a line if you think I can be of any help to you.

Congratulations on your upcoming "theft" of a Canadian lady, I hope you two have a wonderful lifetime together.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like driving through the prairies, probably because it is so different than what I am used to. The long uninteresting part for me is the Toronto to Winnipeg stretch, that being said, lots of people like the area.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
take 16 hwy through man,sask,alberta way better that trans canada

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by BlueLk

When I lived in the area people were getting killed left and right, including one whole family and a 5 semi truck pile up. These are two the stand out in my mind, there were many more.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by BlueLk

When I lived in the area people were getting killed left and right, including one whole family and a 5 semi truck pile up. These are two the stand out in my mind, there were many more.

The problem is with the flatlanders finally getting into the curves, hills and rockcuts that they are not accustomed to, and also after 4 hours on the road, they get drowsy, and that is not a good stretch to snooze on. Way better than the trip through the rockies.

The press dubbed that section of Highway 17 "The Highway of Death." There are lots of worse places on the Transcanada. I policed that area for 22 years. It ain't as bad as the press would have you believe.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by shellriv
take 16 hwy through man,sask,alberta way better that trans canada

Are you in a hurry? The Transcanada is OK, but is also the source of so many "boring flatland" comments about the prairies. You have to spend some time on your feet on our native grasslands, and pay attention to appreciate the subtle beauty of the prairies. Most people don't have the attention span or the time required to make a long drive on the great plains a learning experience. But there is lots to appreciate for those who are open to the experience.
The Yellowhead is generally a more interesting road to me, mostly going through the aspen parkland region with some mixed grass prairie and lots and lots of prairie pothole country along the way. That route is also more direct. If this is a round trip, I'd strongly suggest a loop, on both the Trans Canada and the Yellowhead with some side trips to unique areas like the Cypress hills and some of the lesser known parks like Riding Mountain, catch a fish or two, and smell the fragrance of grass.

Last edited by castnblast; 01/22/12.
R
R
Great trip, and May is the time to do it.
If time isn't in short supply, get off the #1 and go through
some of the small towns. Each one has its own story/claim to fame,
and the scenery can be beautiful. Unfortunately, grain elevators
aren't as common as they once were, so it's harder to tell
which town your in smile
Try to break it up so that you aren't driving all the way
across the prairies in one day. That can be taxing.

"I have a tendency against which I should, perhaps, be on my guard, to swim against the stream..." Winston S. Churchill
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Hey Calvin, the only thing you'll really NEED, is a radar detector/laser jammer....Driving across the prairies will test your patience with cruise control....

Originally Posted by Someone
Why pack all that messy meat out of the bush when we can just go to the grocery store where meat is made? Hell,if they sold antlers I would save so much money I could afford to go Dolphin fishing. Maybe even a baby seal safari.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I drove from Golden BC to Mossomin Saskatchewan in one day, I needed a couple of beers at the end of that drive for sure.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I've been across from Winnipeg into Northern BC 5 or 6 times.. I actually loved going across on the YellowHead Hwy.. I love that Canada isn't built up like the USA.

boring was driving a VW Camper, with a Canoe on top, and I went East out of Drumheller AB, followed the route east thru Sask, rte numbers kept changing but road ran straight.. and finally intercepted the Yellowhead in Eastern Sask, right before going into Manitoba..

had time to kill and wanted to see the "backroads" . had a storm blowing from the North, all the way across.. this was early September, high winds, so one could only do about 45 mph in the VW Bus.. if a large truck pass me in either direction, the VW would almost make an immediate left turn...

had to have the steering to the left and the wind was strong enough that it was trying to push the VW off the road to the right into the ditch..

was like flying a kite, instead of driving a vehicle for 900 plus miles...somehow I still enjoyed the wilds of it all..

I love driving the roads of Canada.. been all the way out on Cape Breton on one side, and have taken the ferry to Newfoundland multiple times, PEI etc..on the east side..far enough north in Quebec where the roads turned to dirt..

Up the Cassier Hwy going up to Alaska, up to Inuvik( sp?) in the Yukon, and then the road to Yellowknife in the NWT...

long before all of this Homeland Security BS..

when crossing the border to Canada and back was just as painless as going thru the California AG inspection in today's world..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (257robertsimp, 7mm_Loco, 808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 44automag, 14 invisible), 1,417 guests, and 864 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,494
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.