Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
I was moving a bunch of ammo and shooting gear from a spare bedroom down into the basement. I had the TV on in the living room and it seemed like every time I walked by there was an ad on for hoarders or intervention.

Bb

HR IC

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I was moving a bunch of ammo and shooting gear from a spare bedroom down into the basement. I had the TV on in the living room and it seemed like every time I walked by there was an ad on for hoarders or intervention.

Bb

BB: LMAO! grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have "thinned' a couple of times but the one left seem to be breedin in the safe.

I will hunt everywhere before I die!
KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by Burleyboy

Bb

BB: LMAO! grin

Killing me! smile

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have the best strategy for you. You can send them to me smile

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've cleaned the safe once, now it's full again. I buy rifles, telling myself and my wife that I'll hand them down to the boys when they grow up.

I'm right handed and both of my boys are shooting my rifles left handed...

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My timing is getting near........ soon the herd will prob get down to 3-4 centerfire rifles. Not looking fwd to it, but its prob gonna get done. Bob made just toooo much sense. My caliber choices are a lil different... but i agree with it in most aspects.

Until then..... good luck with any herd thining!

Last edited by 257wthbylover; 01/18/12.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by hotsoup
about 4 years ago i developed a rule - if i haven't hunted with a center fire rifle the 2 past seasons, i sell it or give it to my kids. i'm down to 4 cf rifles now, and would give my son one of my two 270's if he would take it, but he has a safe full already. i can easily understand folks wanting a lot of rifles though.

You could give me one....Dad grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Easy..

Find out what bullets you want to shoot, and go from there.

I like 105 Scenar/Berger/Amax, 155 Scenars, 162 Amax, and 225gr - 250gr in 338. Might dabble a little in the 115 Berger to give the quarter bores a chance.

dhg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Think about the types of hunting you actually do, and have a rifle that fits each niche as perfectly as possible. Rather than buying a collection of rifles of varying calibres and cartridges. Say, a mountain rifle, a woods rifle, a varmint gun, and elk gun.

If your dad doesn't have a beard, you've got two mums
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There is always room for another 7x57.........

Gus

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My gun thinning goes like this. If I don't use it, it goes! And I never buy what I lust, just need......

Taking my rifle for a walk
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 340Wby
My gun thinning goes like this. If I don't use it, it goes! And I never buy what I lust, just need......

That's the problem - I need them ALL!!!!

Gus

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by BobinNH
....for my BG hunting, 40 years of kicking around North America hunting taught me I needed a lightweight bolt gun (#1) with a 22" barrel chambered for a general purpose standard case cartridge between 270 and 30 caliber,ie., "read" 270, 280,or 30/06. This rifle is handy enough and serves in Maine whitetail thickets,Wyoming or Utah mountains,Alberta cutlines, and open plains on anything from pronghorn antelope to elk.Any of them will slay a moose or grizzly, too,if you bump into these.

Next up is another "all-rounder",in a slightly heavier rifle, with 24" barrel slinging slightly heavier bullets, at somewhat higher velocity for flat trajectory,and a bit more power than the three stated above.A Big 7mm or Big 30...

For #3,I need some more bullet weight,but blow off ALL the mediums of any flavor until I hit the 375H&H in a light bolt gun......no 8mm's, 338's, 35's,9.3's etc....after owning and shooting many of them,I still don't know what any of these are for..Historically they have been hanging around.None of them do a thing you can't do with a 375H&H and todays bullets.

Bob, that shows some wisdom.

I'm not following your line of reasoning for the #2 rifle though. Why do you want or need it in between the other two? When would you ever pick #2 over #1 with good bullets?

My three slots would be 243, 30-06, 375 (though I have no need for a 375 at all with my current position in life).

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
DD: I mostly travel to hunt...around here in New England,it's a no brainer..I just grab #1 (270,280,30/06).On some hunts I take two rifles.

But my hunting seasons are frequently an open slate.I may go to Canada, or out West and grab an elk or moose license in Canada in addition to deer.

Much as I like the 243/257 category, that class of cartridge doesn't do anything for me that the #1 category doesn't do as well,or maybe better.And will handle the elk hunt also(I know the 243 class works on elk but I prefer a bit more bullet diameter and weight).

The #2 category,while more than I really need for deer,is where I might lean for an elk hunt,and yet will serve on a deer hunt as well.With it's heavier bullets, higher velocity than the #1,it is a tick up in authority as distances stretch, and animals get larger.

The differences might be in the type rifle (one shorter and a bit lighter),and the other for a magnum chambering and a bit heavier and longer.

In the event one goes out of commission,I am reasonably well served with the other...maybe not perfect, but I will be OK with either if I do my part. What I am really after in both rifles is general utility and not a great degree of specialization ,if you get my meaning. smile

Last edited by BobinNH; 01/21/12.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
my thinning is very similar to Bob's....

coyote/fox/groundhog hunting = 222Rem
open areas for deer/ antelope/ mulies etc = 6.5 Creedmoor
thick swamps/dense woods deer/bear = 35 Rem
target rifle/range competitions = 6.5Creedmoor#2
big game; elk and up = 375 Ruger

I've been slowly replacing rifles and calibers, and still have a few more to go, but that's my way of thinning the herd.
Having my open area rifle and target rifle in same cartridge also helps downstairs in the reloading room.

johnny

Last edited by flattop_johnny; 01/21/12.

No Farmers---No Food
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 340Wby

And if I do WANT, I will always sell off another to fund/make room.
I only need 3 Deer rifles MAX(go to, backup & 1 for the son), one .22LR, 410 shotgun(snakes) & a dedicated varmint round like the 17Rem grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In fact. If laws came in that I could only own 5 rifles it would not worry me none. Actually, I could live with 3 without a stress.
Thinning is only mind deep. We think we NEED but only to discover it's 'WANT & LUST....'. On that note. I would be happy with a .22LR & 30-06 wink

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I had a similar strategy to "thin the herd," by eliminating cailbers. I'm not a "big bore going to Alaska for bears, or Africa for anything" kind of guy, so I don't need anything "big."

I sold off my 9.3 and 35 caliber rifles. I sold off "overlapping" usefulness calibers from my "standard" of .308 caliber (sold off 250 Savage, 257 Roberts, 7x57 -all Rem 700 classics, and a 270 win). I sold off my "long range" varminters (22-250), but kept one of my 222 Rems.

That leaves me with a "small" (.224), "medium" (.308), "large" (.45-70) approach. I have a 222 Remington Sako A1 (sold a Rem 700 varmint special). 30 caliber is my main rifle caliber (30-30, 30-06 and 308 Win). I have a 45-70 Marlin, and a few 22 LR rifles. I have multiple 30-06s and 308s, and may someday pair them down-but not now.

I also have a couple of nice flintlocks in .40, .45 and .50 calibers for competition/hunting, and pellet rifle/pistols for target practice-so I'm not without something to shoot. I'm not punishing myself by "thinning calibers", just simplifying.

Pistols: I shoot mostly 22 LR in conventional pistol competition (Mainly SW M41, but have a couple of tweaked Ruger Mark II's and a SW K22), 38 special/357 Mag, 45 acp (Sig 220, Springfield 1911 45 acp), and a 45 Colt Ruger Redhawk.

Shotguns: I have 12 and 20 gauge shotguns (multiples in each-pumps: Remington, Ithaca, Browning), and could live with one gauge if I had to (don't want to).

If I really wanted to "thin the herd", I'd go for the basic "one 30-06/308 Win bolt rifle, one 12 gauge pump, one 357 mag revolver, and one 22 LR" approach, and would be very happy.

Caliber elimination is a good place to start-if you have/want to. My shooting interests have changed in over 30 years, and my collection reflects that change. It's not for punishment or financial issues. It was done for simplicity. I shoot MORE now than I have in the past. I'm enjoying it more. I don't feel I have "lost" anything by parting with those "thinned out" firearms.

I'm still on the look out for certain things, but it's on a "want" not a "need" lookout( ie Marlin 1894 in 45 Colt).

I'm shooting more cast bullets now, and seem to be picking up a few more molds to test. I'm getting great satisfaction from casting/loading/shooting cast bullets from my stable of firearms.

Thin as you see fit. It all depends on what you needs are first (reality), then your desires secondly (emotional). But that's nothing new.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
This topis got me thinking I don't know how many I actually have so I went and counted 23 Rifles 2 Shotguns and 8 handguns. All I can say is: "The one who dies with the most toys wins"

LOSERS laugh laugh

Shipster

><}}> "A Government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have" Thomas Jefferson <{{><
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (007FJ, 1936M71, 2500HD, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1lessdog, 62 invisible), 2,197 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,670
Posts18,493,740
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.