-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes, I oftentimes receive those kind of questions myself, from prospective clients. Most of the time the question is why my prices are by-and-large lower than most of my competitors. Basically speaking, I don't operate a lodge-type camp and I don't have employees, other than myself and two pilots. Those factors alone cut operation(s) cost by a substantial margin.

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Maverick940
Yes, I oftentimes receive those kind of questions myself, from prospective clients. Most of the time the question is why my prices are by-and-large lower than most of my competitors. Basically speaking, I don't operate a lodge-type camp and I don't have employees, other than myself and two pilots. Those factors alone cut operation(s) cost by a substantial margin.

Interesting, no employees? How do you get the moose out after it is shot? What does the client do if you are spending a couple of days packing out meat? What specific areas do you hunt? I wouldnt mind a guided hunt if the area was a good one and the price was right. It costs me $6,000 in gas to run from from the haul road to the Koyukuk in my jet boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All moose meat and the antlers and cape are carried on our backs, just as we did it back in the old days. In most of my area, meat must remain naturally attached to the bone (quarters and ribs) and that's a regulatory requirement. Generally speaking, it takes me and a hunter one full day to move one bull moose a distance of one mile. Generally speaking, that's about as far as anyone can or even should pack a bull moose in Alaska, if they're sincere about salvaging all the meat before salvaging antlers and cape, which is also a regulatory requirement.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Which areas are the hunts in? Early or late season?

Wowsa, wouldnt expect to write a check for a guided hunt then have to carry out the quarters, lol. Maybe this is why you are cheaper:)

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Some hunters have the mindset that a hunt must be better if it cost more. P.T Barnum folks...P.T. Barnum!

Alan

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Almost 100% of my bookings are repeat clients and that's in reference to all the species, across the board. When a client books a hunt with me, he's doing so for the total experience and the educational aspect. In terms of moose hunts in my region of Alaska, there's neither an "early" season nor a "late" season. The moose season in my guide-use-area(s) is during September.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
No early or late seasons? Along the Koyukuk and other areas along the Yukon there are distint early and late seasons. This applies to putting in for moose permits as well. Generally the early season is considered approximately the 1-15th and the late is the 15th to the 25th. Surprised you wouldnt be aware of this as I thought all areas along the Yukon required non residents to have a permit. I know most, if not all areas up there requires residents to have a permit to bring the horns out intact. Surprised any resident would buy a guided hunt without a permit if the horns are going to be cut and the cut piece given to F&G per their regs.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wouldn't consider the first two weeks of a month versus the last two weeks of an individual month as being "early season" versus "late season". And, although I'm fully aware of certain regulations in the region you hunt, those area-specific regulations are not applicable in the region whereas I have my GUA's.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Maverick

Sounds like you run the type of hunt I'd want. I don't want to show up in a robe and slippers and be pointed around..... and when I shoot one, I'm just as happy if you hold the legs while I skin, gut, cape the head, flesh it out etc...
And I certainly have no qualms at all about a hard pack to where we need to get it.

Just doesn't seem fair to fly in, pull the trigger and leave....

And Mountain house is fine by me... I don't come to eat, I come to hunt....

jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rost:

I sent a PM to you via this site.

Maverick

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by rost495
Maverick

Sounds like you run the type of hunt I'd want. I don't want to show up in a robe and slippers and be pointed around..... and when I shoot one, I'm just as happy if you hold the legs while I skin, gut, cape the head, flesh it out etc...
And I certainly have no qualms at all about a hard pack to where we need to get it.

Just doesn't seem fair to fly in, pull the trigger and leave....

And Mountain house is fine by me... I don't come to eat, I come to hunt....

jeff

+1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
From a guide's perspective, I'd rather kill the primary animal early in the hunt so we can hunt something else for the remainder of the hunt. Also, by killing the primary animal early, it takes a lot of the stress off so that it's a little easier to "relax" and enjoy the rest of the hunt. But, sometimes big game hunts go right down to the wire. I've seen a lot of hunts - including my own personal hunts - go right down to the last minute of the last day, when the primary animal was eventually killed.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good posts Maverick.

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
More of an trout and grouse hunter but if I had coin to blow on an Alaska adventure I would prefer an hunt in the format Maverick provides.

It would be nice to go in and take time enjoying the location and adventure as well as the hunt. Getting there is half the adventure.

Paying inflated prices to hunt is ridiculous. $18,000 is just far too much for the common person for an single species, at least for my pocketbook. Its sad that everything in life is super regulated and all activity in life is dictated by how great of funds one has.

The only way I could afford an hunt is to move to Alaska, become an resident and do an DIY boat or float hunt. Hey, half the fun is getting there.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yeah, back in "the day", guys like Jack O'Conner used to travel two or three weeks just to get to the "point-of-outfitting", before even beginning to hunt. Those were the days ....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oldpine- you don't have to be a resident to do that I've been doing it for nearly a decade up there OMO. Its the only way I can afford it. It takes some hard work and lots of research but if your willing to trade sweat equity and your own time it can be done at a very reasonable $. Not to take anything away from the Guides here at all they have to make a living .My biggest gripe right now is with the state for locking me out of sheep goat and brown bear. I can go hunt moose down on the peninsula and have just as much of a chance of having a bad bear encounter as I would if I was there bear hunting, I can backpack or Ice climb to the highest mountain peak in Alaska and its ok but put a gun and a sheep tag in my hand and all of a sudden its a problem, doesn't make sense to me. But hey those are the rules and there is nothing I can do about it so I'm out of the those 3 species in AK.

I Kill Things......deal with it..
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by wildone
Oldpine- you don't have to be a resident to do that I've been doing it for nearly a decade up there OMO. Its the only way I can afford it. It takes some hard work and lots of research but if your willing to trade sweat equity and your own time it can be done at a very reasonable $. Not to take anything away from the Guides here at all they have to make a living .My biggest gripe right now is with the state for locking me out of sheep goat and brown bear. I can go hunt moose down on the peninsula and have just as much of a chance of having a bad bear encounter as I would if I was there bear hunting, I can backpack or Ice climb to the highest mountain peak in Alaska and its ok but put a gun and a sheep tag in my hand and all of a sudden its a problem, doesn't make sense to me. But hey those are the rules and there is nothing I can do about it so I'm out of the those 3 species in AK.

Or you can do what most of us did, move up here and become a resident:)

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Maverick,

You sound like the kind of guide most of us would want to hunt with.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tzone
Maverick,

You sound like the kind of guide most of us would want to hunt with.

+1

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well when you start pricing things like a Super Cubs to buy and what goes into keeping one in an airworthy state and the farther from the road you go, costs go up. Short seasons and high over head. Then again just because some ask 18 K for a moose hunt dose not mean you have to buy it either. Never mind the add ons to a stock Piper Cub, they install. Those big fat tundra tires are around 5K and that is just for the tires. And of course Piper stopped making Super Cubs almost 30 years ago. Cub Crafters will build you a new one, plan on 250K and then some for one. More if you go Aviat Husky. Nobody ever said big game hunting was a cheap sport, it never was, even hunting my local white tails is not cheap, considering how deer hunting is conducted in CT.

Last edited by gmsemel; 02/04/12.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

512 members (219 Wasp, 257 roberts, 219DW, 2500HD, 1badf350, 1936M71, 60 invisible), 2,428 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,441
Posts18,489,489
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.