Hop To
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Boat based Sitka makes the most sense, but I'd surely not do that in September.

Good luck all.
Agreed, October or November would be the better timeframe IMO.

Calvin, lighten up a little, a group hunt can be done quite easily. I did a group float hunt in 2007, there were 12 of us and we all had a great time and made it home alive. SOme even came home with meat! wink

Hate for guys to change plans or cough up $ for a "group" hunt, and have it be a circus. But have at it.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by KC

black bear as the one I got was kind of small.

grin

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'm interested in anything but Brown Bear/Grizzly. As this advances keep me in the loop. I may try & include a Wounded Warrior or veteran in need at SCI expense. I'm the chair for the WW/Veterans Committee for our DC area SCI chapter. Adding some fishing for a Black Bear or Caribou or deer would also be great. Great project. Thanks.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
I think Calvin makes a good point, John.

For a lot of hunters that come up here, it takes a lot of funds and planning to make it happen and often is literally a "once in a lifetime" deal. This is a way for some to make the trip more affordable. But, IMO, the bigger the group the more it's a party and less of a hunt.

If this is more hunt than get together, a busload of guys is not my way, but it may be for some. Anyone that is interested, has to have honest and reasonable expectations. There is no doubt that it will likely be fun, and our new member "community organizers" I believe have the best intentions.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Calvin whats your username on outdoorsdirectory you seem a lot like AGL4now on there bitter and displeased with life. The reason for the SEP/OCT timeframe is due to weather (many people who have not hunted Alaska when the snow starts to fall would be in for a rude awakening. As for my "Alaskan Hunting Resume" I have enough experience to safely journey with a few fellow hunters and put them on the game... be it deer, bear or typical "sourdough's" like yourself (implied to Calvin). As for "leading a group of alaskan greenhorns on a hunting trip" it can't be any harder than leading a squad of privates into a known hotspot in the combat zone, where the game you are stalking shoots back. I have had the pleasure of leading several hunts with great success in the lower 48 and have brought MANY hunters into the Alaskan bush teaching them the in's and out's of hunting. Trust me all safety precautions are in effect there will be at a minimum of 2 SAT phones with each hunting party, as well as maps and GPS issued out to the hunting groups with way points plotted in. It's called common sense.

@Tbear I am a avid supporter of the H.A.V.E and Wounded Warrior Project and supplied several bags of bait last season for the guys doing the hunt. I may send you a PM with some info on a hunt planned for a returning vet from Afghanistan to get some insight.

and just a few teaser's for the guys who are interested.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"Duty, Honor, Country. Those three hallowed words reverently dictate what you ought to be, what you can be, what you will be."
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Still, if 12 guys can come together and do an 8 day float hunt, float over 170 miles (with some dragging) and bring home caribou without anyone getting hurt, that's quite the accomplishment.

Just saying it can be done with the proper planning. I like group hunts as long as the group isn't too big and expectations are the same for all.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by ironbender
I think Calvin makes a good point, John.

For a lot of hunters that come up here, it takes a lot of funds and planning to make it happen and often is literally a "once in a lifetime" deal. This is a way for some to make the trip more affordable. But, IMO, the bigger the group the more it's a party and less of a hunt.

If this is more hunt than get together, a busload of guys is not my way, but it may be for some. Anyone that is interested, has to have honest and reasonable expectations. There is no doubt that it will likely be fun, and our new member "community organizers" I believe have the best intentions.

I do see what he is saying but at the same time this is not going to be 15 guys hunting the same area. I have several people willing to help put people in the area that the game are roaming. I could care less if I take a shot with my rifle as for me I can hunt that area any time I get the "itch". It is about making memories for members who want to hunt Alaska. From the idea's we are rolling with (key word here idea's as this is still very much in the planning phase). there will be 2-3 hunters per zone as not everyone wants to hunt 1 species some want to take a Sitka buck others want a black bear (you get the idea here). Hell just look at petersville RD if you think 15 people hunting a 40 mile area is bad(just using this as a example) look at how many registered (and unregistered) bait sites are on that 1 country haul road during bait season.. last I heard from the brown suites was over 500 registered sites just on that area of unit 16 (I hunt north of petersville for that reason and I took a black bear as did AlaskanMatt and I had absolutely NO pressure at my location(s). Watched several NICE sized bears stroll through and got some great video footage as well off my trail cam. We are just trying to help others experience what we get to do each and every year.

[Linked Image]

"Duty, Honor, Country. Those three hallowed words reverently dictate what you ought to be, what you can be, what you will be."
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Still, if 12 guys can come together and do an 8 day float hunt, float over 170 miles (with some dragging) and bring home caribou without anyone getting hurt, that's quite the accomplishment.

Just saying it can be done with the proper planning. I like group hunts as long as the group isn't too big and expectations are the same for all.

I agree FULLY with you AKMtnHntr! Planning is always KEY and having the group as a collective know their "odds" and how things will pan out. I have been on a few successful group hunts as well where the "shooter" for day 1 was decided by drawing straws. We all knew the odds we all agreed to mutually share the work load (pack out, help clean and butcher etc. etc.) It worked out wonderfully and we all came home happy and TONS of memories.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
2010 Deer Hunting Statistics
Harvest
GMU # of Hunters Male Female Total Deer per Hunter
GMU 6D 1,190 1,082 562 1644 1.40
GMU 8 2,855 3,035 1,011 4046 1.40

just for those who are curious as to how the 2010 season went for Black Tail

[Linked Image]

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Any of your guys from outside?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by ironbender
Any of your guys from outside?

the other 3 assisting in this have lived in Alaska 15+ years if thats what you are asking iron smile I am a 7 year AK resident and Matt is going on 9 years I believe.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Well its 10:38PM here in Afghanistan and its time for me to catch up on some much needed sleep I will continue with the Q&A's tomorrow morning and again tomorrow evening when I get off work.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
\The question was directed at AkMtnHntr.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, we had 5 guys that came up from the lower 48. There was originally suppose to be 10 but 2 more got added to the group right before we left for the hunt.

Steelhead

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
That shoots that down. smile I was thinking it would be a lot easier/successful with locals.

Don't get me wrong on this. I'm not at all "dissing" these fellers nor their plan. I'll just reiterate, anyone spending a lot of money to come here to hunt, needs to have honest and realistic expectations regarding the experience and results - (ir)regardless of DIY hunt/with friends hunt/fully guided hunt.

I hope the group has a great time and success. Good on these guys for taking on the work load it will require to pull it off!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
On that hunt, I only personally knew 4 of the 12, all the rest were guys I knew from an internet site.

I agree with you 100% Mike.

Steelhead

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Guys...hunting is hunting..it is all a chance. Took two trips to Maine for a black bear, both hunts with outfitter. Had a great time both times, got bear 2nd trip.

Been to AZ on my own 2x for Coues with a friend who lives there. We saw deer, got one shot and missed. Going back again sometime.

Been to AK once for caribou. Went with an outfitter. 8 hunters (supposed to be 4), archery hunters with rifle hunters in same spike camp crazy, 4 out of 8 hunters got caribou. Friend and I acted as camp cooks so we had decent meals. Not a great situation but we made the best of it and had fun.

All this to say there are no guarantees....but the hunt is what you make of it.

I would love to get back to AK...only problem is I have too many irons in the fire here. 1 hunting trip as year is my limit out of state.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

Was that led by Larry Bartlett?

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by BearKiller
Calvin whats your username on outdoorsdirectory you seem a lot like AGL4now on there bitter and displeased with life. The reason for the SEP/OCT timeframe is due to weather (many people who have not hunted Alaska when the snow starts to fall would be in for a rude awakening. As for my "Alaskan Hunting Resume" I have enough experience to safely journey with a few fellow hunters and put them on the game... be it deer, bear or typical "sourdough's" like yourself (implied to Calvin). As for "leading a group of alaskan greenhorns on a hunting trip" it can't be any harder than leading a squad of privates into a known hotspot in the combat zone, where the game you are stalking shoots back. I have had the pleasure of leading several hunts with great success in the lower 48 and have brought MANY hunters into the Alaskan bush teaching them the in's and out's of hunting. Trust me all safety precautions are in effect there will be at a minimum of 2 SAT phones with each hunting party, as well as maps and GPS issued out to the hunting groups with way points plotted in. It's called common sense.

@Tbear I am a avid supporter of the H.A.V.E and Wounded Warrior Project and supplied several bags of bait last season for the guys doing the hunt. I may send you a PM with some info on a hunt planned for a returning vet from Afghanistan to get some insight.

and just a few teaser's for the guys who are interested.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Any Sitka Blacktails or Caribou? How about some pics of last years Sitka Blacktails to show the success rate.

I'm not that guy you referenced. Akwhatever.

Have a great time. Just know you'll have a bunch of guys showing up with expectations of being semi-guided. And if you aren't up to "par", then things will go downhill rather quickly. A handful of guys might be able to pull off what you want to do, but I'm not sure you are one of them.

You talked about renting boats from MWR, I'm assuming to go out in the saltwater?.. Do you have a Captain's license? How many days underway do you have?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This whole thing doesn't pass the "smell test". Sounds more like a quasi-guide operation or solicitation for "semi-guided" services. Also, seems that with so many inexperienced non-residents in attendance, that the entire venture would be fraught with regulatory and/or statutory violations. Something is funny about this whole deal. I'm sure the Troopers would be interested in watching the progression of this endeavor.

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

158 members (35WhelenNut, 300_savage, 338reddog, 308xray, 16penny, 29 invisible), 1,997 guests, and 1,020 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,270
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.