Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
308ld Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Why is there no love for this reticle. What is the BIG difference between wide and duplex? Is it just the ranging factor between bottom post and cross-hair?

Ed
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Not only that, but the thick parts of the reticle are so far from the center that in low light you might as well be using plain crosshairs.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I'll never understand Leupold's reasoning for that reticle. E

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Seems to me the thicker stadia posts with the wider gate would work be pretty good for leading moving larger targets in cover. If you need a better low light reticle for close cover, maybe the #1.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
+1, doesn't seem to make much sense. I've got it on a FXII 6x and a 2-7 VXI. I bought both used, like new, both around half price from a guy that really didn't like it. For me some degree of duplex is better than none but so far I haven't used either scope in low light conditions.

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I like the WD over the regular. Different strokes....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
+1

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun.
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I also like the wide duplex reticle better, so I do have love for it. many people must or leupold would have discontinued the wide duplex years ago................Hb

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Reloader7RM,

If you'd care to expand on that, I'd greatly appreciate hearing why you prefer the Wide Duplex.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
I have used the wide duplex since it came out in the Ultralight 3x9 and it looks much better to my eye than the old duplex. The thin wires are a little thicker. Have used it in very poor light as well with great results.

Last edited by RinB; 01/23/12.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
JB the thick part of the old duplex is too thick and the thin is too thin. The thick part takes up too much space. The view is too cluttered for my tastes. But, I would be happy with a 1.5" thick crosswire with a 4" diameter dot. Old school. I don't care to try to shoot things much over 440 yards unless wounded.

I tried a 6x42 with a heavy duplex. Had it on a rifle for two days and it was gone. All reticle no view.

Last edited by RinB; 01/23/12.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Rick,

Let me preface this by saying I've only used the Wide Duplex in the 4 FX-II, where according to Leupold the crosshairs subtend .8" at 100 yards. In the standard Duplex they subtend .6", so yeah, in the WD the crosshair is a little heavier, but it's so far from the heavy posts that in dim light the posts aren't any help.

Again from Leupold's info, the crosshairs of the Wide Duplex in the 3-9x Ultralight subtend 1" at 100 yards when the scope is set at 3x--but when turned up to 9x the crosshair is only .4". When set on 6x the subtension would be about .7".
So if you're using the 3-9x Ultralight on 3x in dim light, yeah, the crosshair is a little heavier. I would sure want to be pretty darn close, however, as 3x isn't the best magnification for dim-light aiming--and above that the Wide Duplex's crosshairs aren't any heavier.

I guess it would depend on what yor define as "very poor light." In light I would define as very poor, I've found the Heavy Duplex much better than either the standard or Wide Duplex.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've never liked it but that puts me never using it either to find out why Leupold markets it.

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
John,

Have you seen the Fire Dot reticle and the new VX-R series? I saw one at my deer camp two weeks ago, a VX-R 4-12x40 CDS. Looked pretty nice, except it's a 30mm, not my favorite tube size.

Seems the new VX-6 is going to be a similar 30mm format with VX-3 quality glass and I guess a Fire Dot reticle.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm not at all a fan of the wide duplex and much prefer the standard duplex. The standard duplex just draws the reticle to the target for me. Makes it easier in any light for my eyes.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
JB It just looks better to me. Is less distracting. I can't use the Boone & Crockett reticle. The thick marks seem to pull my eye away from the center. I am sure that some of the reasons are my brain looking for logical reasons rather than the best reason of all...it looks better to me and does not distract. I tried multiple aiming points etc. Just too busy for my limited attention.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
just curious,
which would you prefer on a varmint rifle?

vires,fortitudo,vigilantia
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
John the heavy duplex is better in bad light but is too much the rest of the time. I have used the wide duplex when it was so dark that I had to look down to see where to put my feet. I managed to get by. I think just about anything will work. That said, we all have our preferences which may make sense or not. Lot of stuff works. Way too much effort is expended on the search for the ultimate.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Reloader7RM,

If you'd care to expand on that, I'd greatly appreciate hearing why you prefer the Wide Duplex.

John, I prefer thin reticles. Thick just seem to clutter things to me personally. I can't stand reticles such as the HD.

The WD is somewhat similar to the Zeiss Conquest Z-plex. Not the 3-9 version, the Z-plex in thier higher powered Conquest line(SFPs). That is my favorite hunting reticle out of any I've owned or peered through. Thick enough outer post for low light and thin enough centers for a fine POA w/o clutter.

About the only reticle with clutter that I like is Bushnell's MD in the 6500 line.

The low light debate never really held water for me personally. I've ran Leupies FD on hunting guns and shot game at the very end of legal light. Never really understood the fuss, but to each his own...

Have a good one,

loder

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
To everybody,

Look, I don't really care what anybody else prefers--that's the reason we supposedly have choices--but one reason I like the standard Duplex is that it can be used as a rangefinder, which isn't possible with the Wide Duplex except at ranges so close it doesn't matter. I've killed a bunch of animals with the WD, but never found it a particular advantage in any sort of hunting, and a disadvantage for some, so got rid of all mine.

Not many hunters prefer the Wide Duplex. Every time a newer Leupold scope comes up for sale on the Classifieds with a WD, it takes a lot longer to sell, even when at the same price as other Leupolds. There was an essentially new matte-finish 4x33 FX-II for sale recently for $200, which would be gone within an hour if it was a standard Duplex. It hang around for at least a day, and may be still on there for all I know. I've seen that again and again.

If somebody wants one, why not? But WHY is the Wide Duplex the standard reticle for many Leupold scopes? Why can't it just be one of several options? That's what really gets me.

John Steinbeck
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

688 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 153, 160user, 10ring1, 69 invisible), 2,916 guests, and 1,415 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,974
Posts18,480,751
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.