Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Four pages and no talk of dirt roads!?

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by HugAJackass
Four pages and no talk of dirt roads!?

I was born on one.

First time I ordered dippy eggs at a cafe in SE Ohio I was treated like a tard by my buddies and told they are called "over easy" blush

MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dippy is a MUCH more accurate description....

there is nothing overly easy about eating dippy eggswink

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by HugAJackass
Dippy is a MUCH more accurate description....

there is nothing overly easy about eating dippy eggswink

I just had some dippy eggs this morning, along with hash browns and green chili. That second part is definitely not Pennsylvanian.

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
FWIW in my house when my wife cooks them for me or my daughter they are still dippy eggs.

MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
And Pennsylvania Goulash ain't the same as Hungarian Goulash.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Don't forget to red up your room !!!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Down er in at!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RgrNo1Shtr
Grew up 5 miles east of Tamaqua in the town of Coaldale in Northeastern Pa. Heart of the anthracite region. Reading through the idioms brought back memories. One that I remember, if you wanted to rinse clothes on laundry day, you "wrenched" them out.
Wish I could think of more.

One thing I'll never understand though is why a town with a classic name like Mauch Chunk would change it to Jim Thorpe. It'll always be Mauch Chunk to me.

Maybe the "CoalSpeak Dictionary" will help you think of more. Here is a link to Coal Region.com. It contains a link to the dictionary on its homepage:

coalregion.com

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by shootinurse
baby coach -noun. Chiefly Eastern Pennsylvania and Chesapeake Bay . A baby carriage.

Lunch meat -noun. Called "cold cuts" elsewhere.

For those who think we Pennsylvanians 'talk funny' or use 'big words', here's why ...

Once a Pennsylvanian, ALWAYS a Pennsylvanian!

About Pennsylvanians: You've never referred to Philadelphia as anything but 'Philly' and New Jersey has always been ' Jersey .'

We don't go to the beach -- we go 'down the shore.'

You refer to Pennsylvania as 'PA' (pronounced Pee-Ay).
How many other states do that??

'You guys' (or even 'youze guys', in some places) is a perfectly acceptable reference to a group of men and women.

You know how to respond to the question 'Djeetyet?' (Did you eat yet?)

You know that the Iggles play football and so do the Stillers.

You learned to pronounce Bryn Mawr, Wilkes-Barre , Schuylkill , the Poconos, Tamaqua, Kutztown, Tunkahannock, Bala Cynwyd, Kishacoquillas, Duquesne and Monongahela, also Conshohocken.

And we know Lancaster is pronounced Lank-ister, not Lan-kaster.

You know what a 'Mummer' is, and are disappointed if you can't catch at least highlights of the parade.

At least five people on your block have electric 'candles' in all or most of their windows all year long.

You know what a 'State Store' is, and your out-of-state friends find it incredulous that you can't purchase liquor at the mini-mart.

Words like 'hoagie,' 'crick,' 'chipped ham,' 'dippy eggs', 'sticky buns,' 'shoo-fly pie,' 'lemon sponge pie', 'pierogies' and 'pocketbook'
actually mean something to you. (By the way, that last one's PA slang for a purse!)

You not only have heard of Birch Beer, but you know it comes in several colors.

You know the difference between a cheese steak and a pizza steak sandwich, and you know that you also can't get a
really good one anywhere outside of the Philly area. (Except maybe in Atlantic City on the boardwalk.)

You know that Blue Ball, Intercourse, Paradise, Climax, Bird-in-Hand, Beaver, Moon, Virginville, Mars, Bethlehem, Hershey,
Indiana, Sinking Spring, Jersey Shore, State College, Washington Crossing, Jim Thorpe, King of Prussia, Wind Gap, and
Slippery Rock are all PA towns ... and the first three were consecutive stops on the old Reading RR! (PS - That's pronounced Redd-ing.)

You can identify drivers from New York , New Jersey , Maryland or other neighboring states by their unique and irritating driving habits.

A traffic jam in Lancaster County is 10 cars waiting to pass a horse-drawn carriage on the highway. (And remember ... that's Lank-ister!)

You know several people who have hit deer more than once.

Driving is always better in winter because the potholes are filled with snow.

As a kid you built snow forts and leaf piles that were taller than you were.

You know beer doesn't grow in a garden, but you know where to find a beer garden.

You actually understand all this and send it out to other Pennsylvanians or former Pennsylvanians. It's scary, isn't it!

Yeah yeah yeah. My dad was born in Pittsburgh and grew up in Vintondale so if you've never heard of Vintondale PA you may be from Pensylvania...... crazy whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bucktales
And Pennsylvania Goulash ain't the same as Hungarian Goulash.

Many Hungarians in that state and damn proud of it too.....Forgot my smiley grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Thanks for the link Coalcracker, yea that brings back a lot of familiar phrases.

Regards,
Dick M.

I like a handgun. I hold a shotgun in high regard, but rifles- well I love the darn things.
Jack O'Connor
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by boatme99
Originally Posted by akpls
Originally Posted by boatme99
[quote=1minute]How about being a resident of Turkey Neck, Maryland?

And then there's Lusby, Md.
Home of the Lusbians. grin
Funny!!....not only did I grow up in PA, I also lived in Lusby, MD for a few years. crazy

Stationed at PAX River?
No...worked for NASA in Greenbelt and Columbia. Made the trek up Rts. 2 & 4 everyday I wasn't working out of town....which was about 8 months of the year. Lusby was a nice quiet rural place then. We had to go over to LP or up to Prince Frederick for groceries.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Another one I forgot to list is:

"All up in through there and all like at" which is what you get when asking for directions and the director can't give good info to the directee. grin

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Yah, the dictionary in that coalregion web site is pretty funny.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Trow yer horse out der vinder some hay. Throw yer mudder down the stairs her pocketbook.

NRA Benefactor Member

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizenry still gets to vote!"
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by CoalCracker
Originally Posted by RgrNo1Shtr
Grew up 5 miles east of Tamaqua in the town of Coaldale in Northeastern Pa. Heart of the anthracite region. Reading through the idioms brought back memories. One that I remember, if you wanted to rinse clothes on laundry day, you "wrenched" them out.
Wish I could think of more.

One thing I'll never understand though is why a town with a classic name like Mauch Chunk would change it to Jim Thorpe. It'll always be Mauch Chunk to me.

Maybe the "CoalSpeak Dictionary" will help you think of more. Here is a link to Coal Region.com. It contains a link to the dictionary on its homepage:

coalregion.com

I went to coalregion.com and they actually had dippy eggs in the dictionary. --> dippy egg : an egg, such as a soft-boiled or sunnyside-up egg, into which you can dip your toast.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Diesel
I live near Tidioute and Tionesta.

Pronounced Tiddy-Youte and Ti-o-Nesta

My Daughter was named after a Tidioute resident from way back. We used to hunt up in "Porky Hollow" and if I remember correctly "Hicks" run. A "run" is a creek or stream in PA lingo.

Tidioute used to be thick with Deer. The entire ANF is some great country.

Still hunt Grouse out of Ludlow.

Last edited by battue; 01/24/12.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Crick - I know they say that in other places too, but when I grew up in Erie, pa, a Creek was a crick, and you went fishin' with minnies for smallies. They are much more sophisticated now.....Oh - and acrosst - you could cast all the way acrosst the crick...

Last edited by bender; 01/24/12.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
My father graduated from Northumberland HS. 1930.
Class of 4! ( he was the only male!)

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (1beaver_shooter, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 48 invisible), 2,419 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,664
Posts18,474,697
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.