Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Sure doesn't seem that way from where I'm sittin'. You've been here all of 4 days and sending PM's to folks tryin' to drum up business for yourself....for which I doubt you're paying Rick for the privledge.

You might do yourself a favor and STFU.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Behind every relationship, lies an alterior motive grin

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have dreamed of a hunting trip to Alaska for about 50 years or so now. Have just about given up on the idea due to several curve balls that life has thrown at me. Notice I said "just about" <G>. This just sounds like the doable opportunity that I have been waiting decades for! With this much lead time to get myself in some sort of reasonable shape and to set aside some expense money, I'm thinking I just might pull this off! Please put me down as interested in black bear and maybe deer. Would dearly love to do some fishing/crabbing as well if opportunity presents itself.

I know this is in the very early stages of exploring the concept and even if you are not untimately able to put this together, I do want to sincerely thank the organizers for thinking about providing some of us with such a wonderful opportunity that we might otherwise never have.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Once some thing start taking shape, y'all might consider taking the plans to a PM string. Anything innocent and inadvertent can avoid the open forum. There is no shortage of stories of FWP being overboard and unreasonable. The "ticket" may not stick, but the headaches are not worth it either.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
After talking with a few people we are setting the "SIZE" limit on this hunt to 8 members from the forum for the initial hunt and depending on how that goes I am more than glad to continue the efforts with spring and fall gatherings to allow fellow hunters to go after the game they wish. Once again this is not a "guided" hunt and no monetary support will be issued to myself or Matt as we are setting up this hunt to meet some fellow hunters and share the amazing experience we all call "Alaska". the Fall hunt that is being planned will be one (or possibly two) of the following (Deer, Caribou, Black Bear). I stress the possibly two as we may or may not run into that set game during our travels. Right now I am working with some fellow Alaskans on deciding the prime location to set up camp and allow all hunters to have ample land and game to work with. We are planning on a 4 day hunt (Fri fly out to location and hunt sat,sun,monday and fly back monday). Due to Alaska's policy on "same day fly in hunting" we most likely will not be able to take game on day 1 but we will be able to scout the areas and establish zone in which will offer the greatest success for the group. If the hunt is a Caribou hunt we charter a bush pilot to fly us in and pick us up (I have a few prime remote locations I am considering). Once again I cannot stress enough that this is still very much in the planning phase and as soon as I can get numbers crunched on what the cost should run each member I will post it up to give everyone time to set funds aside and we will lock in a date. I am also working on a "suggested" packing list for what you should have with you and I will also be gathering map's and GPS locations for the areas we are planning on hunting to allow each hunter to firmly research the area.

Thanks again for the support

Oh and before I forget. For the few that are suggesting myself and Matt may possibly be trying to build clients and we may be "starting to venture" into the guiding service.. you are dead wrong I am pushing to retire from the Military and i still have 7.5 years until I retire and that's if I make it that long (my body is pretty beat up from my tours over seas and already need reconstructive surgery on both knees and I have some back issues that I am avoiding to get corrected). As for Matt he is getting out of the service to finally be able to spend time with his family for longer than a year at a time so no guiding for him as well.

Last edited by BearKiller; 01/24/12.

[Linked Image]

"Duty, Honor, Country. Those three hallowed words reverently dictate what you ought to be, what you can be, what you will be."
IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
bender, the PM idea has already been in effect but I want the public eye to see as well as I will be forwarding final plans to F&G to review all plans to ensure legalities are covered. Making sure the hunt is fully legal, safety of all hunters is covered and blessed off on. I have been in talks with 2 different field officers about this to ensure the right precautions are taken. The last thing I would want to see is a member getting a ticket due to a infraction in the planning process

[Linked Image]

"Duty, Honor, Country. Those three hallowed words reverently dictate what you ought to be, what you can be, what you will be."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hey, I really hope you guys can pull the thing off and provide all of us with a demonstration after it's over, and that no one involved ends up as another statistic in the State's prosecutorial data base. Truthfully, I really hope you can do it and at the same time also avoid coming under investigation by the Department of Public Safety and the Department of Commerce. I mean, even without being prosecuted, an investigation alone would be more than bothersome. Anyway, I wish you well in your endeavor. But I still think you should stick to persons who are closer to home and not try to goat-rope inexperienced non-residents into something as problematic as this. But, that's my two cents.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Maverick you come off as being a big dick, any thing constructive you may say is lost,
I guess all people from the lower 48 are inept and would shrivel up and die the second their foot hits the Alaskan bush...get over yourself
Just my evaluation after reading thru these posts

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well, I'm sorry you perceive it that way, but actually, I'm not. To the contrary, I'm a rather nice guy and one who's truly concerned about other people. Thus the reason why I've commented here. In a long lifetime of living in the bush and conducting wilderness expeditions, I've seen the gamut of "bad things" happening to good people because they got in way over their head(s). Anyway, thanks again for your errant opinion concerning me, but that's okay too.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Maverick, you clearly have an attitude regarding this matter,

The funny thing is, You would gladly take these very same "in-experienced non-residents"(show me that term in the reg book), if they were a paying customer of yours.

I see your link to your business is now missing from your profile,I wonder why?

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good morning, Ken.

No, no attitude. Just a little practical and applied sense, that's all. And no, I'm very selective when it comes to customers and thank goodness, that's also vice-versa. Thanks for your input.

Maverick940

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
See Mav if you were so "concerned" maybe you could have helped with some insight on options rather than thread bash people. I am damn sure if a "licensed guide" gave some helpful info that would not only generate more consumer interest in your services in the future but also would show that you care for the members who can make or break your business. I am sure you have heard of the more recent "guide issues" with walking away with customers cash, substandard treatment and even the guide who shot the "trophy brown" and told his customer tough luck enjoy your new "trophy" with out even getting a good crack at the boar. The last thing a guide should be doing is pissing off potential customers with the way our economy is right now. Hell I am in the process of also getting my 1SG a guided hunt for browns for a retirement gift but guess I will have to travel past Wasilla to find a true "bush guide".

[Linked Image]

Last edited by BearKiller; 01/24/12.

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Bearkiller,

Why don't you tell us about your Sitka Blacktail exploits. Or Caribou. When did you move to AK again?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Calvin
Bearkiller,

Why don't you tell us about your Sitka Blacktail exploits. Or Caribou. When did you move to AK again?

Calvin, you are completely missing the point and If you would be so kind, let your previous post be the last in this thread.

You see, if either Bearkiller or myself were guides, and we made it perfectly clear we ARE NOT, it might be necessary to satisfy your requests as to our experience level and qualifications, or lack thereof.

The truth is, if any of these interested parties wanted to do so, they could fly on up to Alaska, buy themselves a non-resident hunting license and go on out and hunt all those game animals which are legal for a non-resident to hunt without the assistance of any other living person.

I am not a guide, therefore I am not compelled in any way to qualify my experience to anyone. Least of all you. Some of the others here have tried to be civil with you, but at my age I find I have developed early-onset lack of patience for those who persist in being the death of every conversation.

As one of the organizers of this event, I'm asking you to go and spread your worthless challenges and down-in-the-mouth blither elsewhere.

For those of you interested in participating in this event, if you want a hunting resume, hire a guide. If you want the companionship of a few fellow veterans and the chance to hunt in the greatland - you're welcome here.

"Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some here are worried that because Matt is receiving a donated rifle that this offer of a buddy hunt could be miscontrued as compensation for said rifle.

If you fill those 8 slots and none of the members donated to help build said rifle, then I do not see a problem.

Honestly I don't see a problem anyways but hey, gotta cover your a$$ around here right?

I wouldn't post anymore info here either and offer to reply by pm for those interested in participating in your buddy hunt. Good luck!

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
So yeah.. You've never hunted Sitka Blacktails,(or probably never seen one)and have zero Caribou under your belt.

Eligible for the PFD yet?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I can sorta agree here on the danger level issues, and I know I"m a bit OT here, but I've seen folks dropped off with chit that would kill them if the weather turned bad etc.... But generally folks get away with crappy gear and decisions most times.

The problem I have is where do you draw the line, I feel that I've enough experience in the bush and woods, and carry enough of the right gear that while I might be miserable, I will survive about anything thats in my control( IE not the bush flight etc... and even then I have some aces in the hole possibly...)

It would be sad to see things shut down to guides only for some of these remoted non dangerous game hunts.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Some people have the most difficult time following directions, or comprehending basic English. It kind of reminds me of quite a few privates I've known.... except that most of them eventually do learn, and become men.

"Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist."
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You know - I've had enough of this. I have more important things to worry about over here without dealing with sourpuss keyboard jockeys too. Bearkiller, if you want to keep wading through the swill it's all yours. I'm taking this thread off my subscribed list and anyone who is actually interested can contact me via PM from now on. Ya'll have a great day.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Your acting like hunting blacktails and caribou requires some kind of special skill.

Well brother, it doesn't, caribou are one of the easiest game animals to hunt and blacktails, well, if you've hunted mulies you can hunt blacktails.

Have you ever hunted caribou Calvin?

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

523 members (1234, 1lesfox, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,404 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,378
Posts18,488,532
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.