Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
I'm trying to get ready for my hunt in May and was hoping for some help on boots.

My orignal plan was to wear my plastic Scarpas that I wore on my sheep hunt and take my Glacier Socks (from Barney's) to cross creeks and such. I dug them out and wore them for an hour on the epiltical trainer and they really are not comfortable at all. They don't blister me, but they just aren't comfortable because of what they are.

My backup plan is to wear my Lowa's that are really comfortable and broken in and get a pair of Sourdough Slippers

http://www.overshoesonline.com/rtk8...own.htm?gclid=CITUjcn-660CFZJX7AodNy7Y5w

from Barneys to get through the really wet stuff.

My outfitter says wear the plastics, and if I was going after sheep, I'd suffer through the discomfort, but I really don't want to wear those things for 2 weeks.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by DocGlenn; 01/25/12.
GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Hip boots.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Alaska Penisula is a swamp from Iliamna to False Pass,people that try not to wear Lacrosse anklefit hipboots usually have some wet nasty foot problems along the way.
Who is your outfitter?

I tend to use more than enough gun
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Rod Schuh is my outfitter.
Not sure why hip boots are not recommended. I think it is because they get up in the mountains sometimes and have to do some climbing. I'm going to give him a call soon and ask some questions, just wanted some info before I made the call.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I hunted the Penninsula in Spring 2010 and Fall 2011. Spring hunt was a disaster as far as footwear, mountain boots and gaitors, my boots were wet starting day two for the next 11 days, multiple river crossings and a foot of snow. Returned last fall and wore Simms Wading Pants and Korker Mudder Ducker Wading Boots, I highly recommend the setup. Super light, good traction for climbing (you can change out the soles if needed), and completely waterproof with your wading socks. Feel like a light weight pair of hiking boots. I was told a lot of guys even wear old high top tennis shoes over wading pants, but the Korkers IMO would have better traction and the weep holes allow the water to drain, which keep them light.

IC B2

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Doc, I just noticed your thinking about the overshoes from Barneys. I had those as well for my spring hunt and though they worked, it was a waste of time using them. The days leading up to my hunt were warm, with a lot of snow melt, and the rivers were so braided, I was taking them on and off ALL the time. I think on a sheep hunt or something like that where crossings would be occasional, they are a good concept, but not on the Penn.

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Do you have link where I can check into the wading pants. Sounds like a good idea to me. Are you talking about something like this?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Footwear/Mens-Footwear/Mens-Waders/Mens-Waist-High-Waders%7C/pc/104797980/c/104747580/sc/104674680/i/104107680/Cabelas-Premium-Dry-Plus-Breathable-WadersUltralight-2-Lug-Sole-Boots-Combo-150-Waist-High/1208452.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ffootwear-mens-footwear-mens-waders-mens-waist-high-waders%2F_%2FN-1101199%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104107680%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BBRprd749130%253Bcat104674680&WTz_l=SBC%3BBRprd749130%3Bcat104674680%3Bcat104107680

Can't get link to work! Cabela's does have some Simms stuff also.

Thanks!

Last edited by DocGlenn; 01/25/12.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Doc:

It's interesting that Rod never mentioned insulated ankle-fit hip waders when he sent a gear list to you. That's strange. Rod's usually right on top of that sort of thing. Anyway, I'd definitely take the hip boots and just forget about trying to hunt brown bear on the Peninsula in plastic boots, even with the Glacier Socks. My recommendation, for whatever it's worth, is to take LaCrosse insulated ankle-fit hip boots and a pair of leathers (just in case) and a low-cut and light-weight felt-lined rubber/leather boot for around camp. Personally, I'd nix the idea of taking plastic boots to the Peninsula.

Maverick

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, LaCrosse insulated Big Chiefs are the ticket. I could not even imagine wearing plastic boots while hunting brown bears.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
If you can get there without having to pack everything hedge your bet and take hip boots, Lacross knee boots, and regular hiking boots. Knee boots and hiking boots worked well for me on the peninsula but I was farther north and near the coast.

IC B3

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Doc,

Get on Cabelas website and do a product search for Simms Wading Pants, it's the Headwaters model. Also search for wading boots, I prefer the Korkers. Layer underneath as required, then add a Helly Hanson 3/4 length Guide Rain Coat. Another great thing about the wading pant is since they are completely waterproof, you can just drop on your bottom and glass as needed.

Simms Guide Boots over the waders. Partner and I both wore them on the Charley last fall. Great support/protection, seem plenty tough.

Alan
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DocGlenn
Rod Schuh is my outfitter.
Not sure why hip boots are not recommended. I think it is because they get up in the mountains sometimes and have to do some climbing. I'm going to give him a call soon and ask some questions, just wanted some info before I made the call.

I live down here on this [bleep] rain-soaked blowhole 10 air mins SE of CDB. Bring hip boots and bulletproof rain gear. Just about everything except the beaches and the sides of of the mountains is a muckhole. You might want to take a look at a pair of Muck Woody Bayou boots if you don't want to take full hip waders.

Truth is you'll need a couple different pairs of boots for different terrain and weather. Also be aware that spring comes late to the AKPEN and what you'll likey see when you get here will resemble winter. So bring rain gear and warm clothing for the snow squalls and cold wind you will constantly encounter.

When I got my bear in 2010, I was skinning it in a muckhole with 40kt winds and sideways rain.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There you have it Doc!!

Us Alaskans (guides) recommend hipboots and the other experts give you other options.

I tend to use more than enough gun
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Thanks for all the info guys! I really appreciate it. Helps to hear from those that have been there and done that.

Glenn

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You're welcome, Glenn. Enjoy your hunt. I imagine Rod's assistant guide(s) will show you a nice bear or two. Keep your eyes glued to the binocular and stay patient and you'll probably see some good bears while you're down there. Above all, have fun and be safe.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I hunted my Brown Bear in the Volcano Bay area, not far from Cold Bay, on a spring hunt.

Weather was brutal, and lots of stream crossings, etc. to deal with. Wore ankle-fit hip boots the entire time.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

519 members (219 Wasp, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 257 mag, 222Sako, 1badf350, 57 invisible), 3,218 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,732
Posts18,535,122
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.