-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
What's your opinion? I'm thinking of picking this up. It's $100 for the starter kit + dies.

The reasons i'm looking @ the lee instead of the rcbs is because if i don't get into this it's easier to through away $100 then it is $300+ for the rcbs.

Anyone use this kit?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not familiar with the Challenger kit, but I started out with the Anniversary kit about 15 years ago. The Challenger vs the Anniversary kit looks like the only difference is the "breech locking" die insertion vs the old fashioned screw in method. If you are reloading for "common" rounds this kit will do fine to let you find out if you want to go deeper. If you want to re-form brass dramatically, you would be better off (IMHO) to go with a "higher dollar" press (RCBS, Lyman, Redding, Forster & etc) only because of the force required for reforming. The Lee scale is adequate (but that is the first thing I got a better one), the powder measure works OK and I stil use mine a fair bit. The one thing I would get that is not in the kit is the Lee Ram-prime - about $10 to $15 - as (again, IMHO) the hand primer in the kit did not give me the "feel" I wanted when seating primers. Might want to get a case trimmer, too.

There are a lot of reloaders who started out with Lee equipment and either stopped reloading entirely because they didn't like it or went the opposite direction (my hand is up) and started reloading for everything they have and began to acquire "better" equipment as the need arose. There will always be something "better" out there that you think you have to have, but you can do most anything you want with a good 'ol Lee single stage press and unless you abuse it, it will last a long time.

Oh, yeah, get a good reloading book, I have the Lyman, but there are others out there. They will walk you through most every step of the operation in plain, understandable language.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gravestone,

Your question would get more eyeballs in the "Big Game" reloading section. This is for Reloading Software and doesn't get much traffic.

I haven't used much Lee equipment (a primer pocket cleaner, a powder funnel, a set of 9mm dies) so I can't comment on the presses. However, I would like to state a few things. In neither case would you be throwing away money on either press. Reloading equipment comes with great warranties and maintains it's value quite well. If you didn't like the RCBS kit or reloading in general you could sell the RCBS kit for a small loss. I'd bet you could get 80% or better of your original purchase price if the eqiupment is in like new condition. In fact, there is nothing wrong with picking up a used RCBS press from Craigslist, Ebay, etc. RCBS warranties most all their stuff for life, even if you are not the original owner.

Also, many people frown on Lee equipment for being lower grade or cheaply made. But I've met many happy users of the Classic Cast and Classic Cast Turret. If I were to buy a Lee press it would be one of those two.

Just my $0.02.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thank-you Otter and Azar for your replies. I will post this in the Big Game Rifles section.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

292 members (2ndwind, 300s, 260Remguy, 12344mag, 338rcm, 300_savage, 39 invisible), 2,411 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,620
Posts18,474,010
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.