Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Only been out of the Hospital tow weeks today and still convalescing but, getting weary of being weary if you know what I mean. No whining, REALLY glad to be alive for sure after all that I went through being hooked up to five lines and in critical condition 14 days ago. Really, really glad to be here.

But, a couple of weeks of just managing the energy to get to the bathroom and planning my days by my meds list had me a tad down, especailly with the sun shining and the snow melt gone..... Wait a mnute. Snowmelt GONE? Yeah. Hmmmmmmm... and what might be that big, ugly green thing under the front patio calling my name there. Nah, you just barely started driving a car again a couple of days ago..... Its time for your next pain pill..... Your left eye is still red and swollen..... But, but, my road leads to wide open county roads winding through the wheat country only TWO MILES to the south!

There it was, 650cc's telling me "YOU might not be strong, but I AM! YOU can't run and play, but WE can! Come on man, lets RIDE!!!!

So, while I was in between my thrice daily Opiate's and of a clear mind I started her up. Whirrrrrrr!!!!! Got on some Black Wranglers ( a much smaller size than I wore two weeks ago, could not have gotten into these immediately pre crisis) found my pile lined windbreaker, strapped on the brain bucket and OFF into the Blue MOUNTAIN foothills!

The cold bit right through my Wranglers but it was a much differnt kind of cold than the one I felt two weeks ago when my body was shivering with the fever and unable to regulate ittself with my blood pressure only at 60/40 and temps of 104. No, this cold was not the cold of death approaching like it was two weeks ago, this was a cold of being ALIVE. Of FEELING the great outdoors and all that God has made here for us.

Out past the houses and into the countryside. Winding it up, but I had forgotten some things and could not today remember how fast I used to take the various curves (Damned Dopamine, probably) so I took them pretty easy this time out. But coming out of the corners? FULL OUT baby! I even managed a bit of a wheelie once and grinned like a cheshire cat inside my helmet.

I turned it around a little too late for this first time out and by the time I got into the patio again I could barely depress the clutch to park it. Ususally this is an easy two finger job for me but I really ran myself past "E" on this ride. No matter, I am home safe and have new energy and vigor for the battle ahead. Bike is parked and my wrists and shoulders and hips are telling me I had better go get a pill right NOW before I get much further behind the pain curve but, Dang it, I Just HAD to tell ya'll. Smiling while hurting and exhausted, ain't this just a fine mess! smile

It is GOOD to be alive today, and fully for a little while. Very good..... MARK

Last edited by safariman; 01/26/12.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Nothing like a bike ride to invigorate the soul...I took mine out a couple weeks ago... glad you're doing well Mark.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Nothing like that first taste of fun after being laid up for an extended period of time...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wait til your doctor finds out you pulled that stunt. He gonna kick your butt.

Good to hear that you're feeling better.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
You need to get up and test yourself a bit now and then to judge how your recovery is coming along. Rest is necessary, but sometimes makes you feel worse. It's good to hear you are feeling better. Ken

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have fun! It's what life is about.

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good for you!!! Some of the best therapy in the world is being on two wheels. Here's to your continued recovery.

Still 3 months away from being back on a scoot up here.

Jeff

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Love reading your reports Mark .still praying for you

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thank you, Matt, still need them.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Glad to hear you are doing better. I didn't know you were down for the count though. Must have missed it if it was posted.

Take care on your next ride

Brent

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BrentD
Glad to hear you are doing better. I didn't know you were down for the count though. Must have missed it if it was posted.

Take care on your next ride

Brent

Yeah, after the Heart attack and two heart surgeries got a Staph type infection that had me in critcal condition for a while two weeks ago. On the mend, and the next ride might be a few days away. Wifey spotted the helmet and stuff still out when she got home from work .....

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Wow. First you almost die three times from medical [bleep].

Then you almost die from exhaustion on your motorcycle

and then, having survived all of that, you almost get executed by your wife. Man, you better be careful not to fall out of bed.

Take care guy.
Brent

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
KLR's kick butt!! Gonna fire mine up this weekend!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Glad to see you are hanging in there.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Glad to hear you're out running around. Been unseasonably warm here all winter. Had my VFR out Christmas eve & thoroughly enjoyed it. Only had time to ride once or twice since then but take every chance I get. Hope you're up to many more rides.

beati pacifici quoniam filii Dei vocabuntur Matthew 5:9
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hey Mark, that first ride after being laid up was a little tentative for me ( seeing as I crashed on the bike months before ) but very worth It. !!!! Enjoy...but take it slow my brother.

God bless

Steve

Patron member, NRA, Life Member SCI,
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nothing quite like a bike ride eh?
Glad to hear your doing so much better.

I did the same thing, went for a ride, was weak, doing more than I should have been, lost my balance a bit at a stop and pulled a muscle holding the bike up, that hurt for over a year...

Take care Mark, and have full recovery in the not to distant future.

Ride safe

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 700LH
Nothing quite like a bike ride eh?
Glad to hear your doing so much better.

I did the same thing, went for a ride, was weak, doing more than I should have been, lost my balance a bit at a stop and pulled a muscle holding the bike up, that hurt for over a year...

Take care Mark, and have full recovery in the not to distant future.

Ride safe

Thanks for the well wishes.

The strength thing is another reason I was pretty hesistant on the 90's. Unsure about the strength to hang on in a low lean and pull it on out and over at the tail. As it turns out, I probably would have bit it if I had tried more, barely getting the dang thing parked after the ride.

Still, it felt SO good to get out a bit. Live a little to help me remember why.

EQFD193 aka Steve,

Thanks amigo, I would be a little tentative after what you went through as well! Glad you got back up on the Horse. Keep the rubber side down now, OK?

And, I AM going to make that phone call soon and make you go out and rev that Big Honkin Hog of yours for me a couple of times. More healing time motivation, dontchaknow.... smile

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Glad to read you are doing something you enjoy. There is nothing like the wind blowing in your face riding a cycle or ATV. Years ago I had back surgery & was at my lake house recuperating. Not supposed to do anything strenuous or even take my boat out. After tiring of working on fishing tackle I went to my shed for something. There sat my Honda unridden for years. What would a ride around my property hurt. Some clean gas & my cycle fired right up. As I was really enjoying my slow paced ride something seemed to happen. All of a sudden the throttle stuck fully open & my bike accelerated. Then the brakes didn't work all that well. Next, being in a stiff brace I fell, sort of, & started being dragged by my crotch. After a few minutes of this I managed to kick free & crawled into the house. In severe pain I stayed in bed for several days. I finally told my wife when I returned home & she gave my bike to a nephew. Glad yours turned out better.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
be my pleasure to fire it up for you...in Colorado this week, back home on Saturday night.

regards,
Steve

Patron member, NRA, Life Member SCI,
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (1234, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 54 invisible), 2,235 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,764
Posts18,495,635
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.