Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
it's all going to depend upon how fast technology develops, imho.

then, there's additional aspects. first, we probably will need some organic humans to go there and be part of the initial or early explorations. later, it's possible to conceive that we can build programmable machines "to mine the gold" for us.

no need for anything organic. with proper telementry we can control it all right out of the basement in the White House. sorry, off-topic.

anyways, it's clear we do need to re-define a new frontier. the new frontier should offer us hope and change. grin

GB1

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
The main problem with a moon colony is that it's a colony. On the moon.

As a side note, it's almost surreal how a prominent Republican can say something goofy... and some of the faithful just stumble and trip over themselves trying to rationalize it. I mean... what would Newt have to SAY?! crazy

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
given the discussion of a possible White House inhabitant, aka as the Gingrich himself, what if the Bush the Younger had been able to control the direction of the Hurricane Katrina based upon the controls hidden behind the curtains in the Oval Office?

i mean, you and i both know that the love of security has ruined more good men than all the women, wine and song in the world, still we need high adventure. the moonshot and the Mars Trip offer us something to engage and wrap our collective arms around.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
So problem is you are all for space exploration but can not wrap your mind around the need to breath while out of our atmosphere. I do understand now why you made a complex operation out of making something square out of something round.
You must also have a problem setting goals such as a 2020 base on the moon. That is OK Jeff just stick with the easy stuff.
As for the rest of the scoffers out there I would much rather have someone in the oval office that is more than willing to set those kind of goals and give the private sector the opportunity and encouragement to achieve them which is exactly what was proposed and needed.
That is about as American as it gets.
Newt is not a perfect candidate and there never has been one in all our history but he has more pull up your bootstraps gumption than any other contender on the horizon.
There is an old saying "The dogs bark but the caravan passes on" Stay on the porch...

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
The Bush/Obama percentage of deficit argument is specious and misleading. Bush was by no means frugal, but 11% of one trillion is a whole lot different from 14% of FIFTEEN trillion, which is how fast Obama is running things up. In truth, Bush made the US poor but Obama has made us bankrupt.

You seem like a nice enough guy Rocky but quite frankly, you don't have the first clue what you're talking about nor do you have any idea what the numbers are even when put right in front of your face.

I'm going to give it one more shot.

The Debt was $5.7 Trillion when Bush took office. When he left, it was $10.7 Trillion. That is an average increase of 11%.

The Debt when Obama took office was $10.7 Trillion. Today it stands at $15.2 Trillion. That is an average increase of 14% per year.

The rate of increases is a more accurate number because you need to take the rate of inflation into account. You said Obama was spending at 5x the rate of Bush but the reality is spending is right in line when comparing the two.

If you want to talk about a president who started us on the path towards bankruptcy, look at Reagan. The debt tripled under his watch which is more than what Bush and Obama have done combined.

Last edited by rrroae; 01/27/12.
IC B2

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
"Moon colony" is like a science fiction theme. Can the ecology of earth be duplicated on the moon? and would the allocated resources be worth it?

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by okie
So problem is you are all for space exploration but can not wrap your mind around the need to breath while out of our atmosphere. I do understand now why you made a complex operation out of making something square out of something round.
You must also have a problem setting goals such as a 2020 base on the moon. That is OK Jeff just stick with the easy stuff.
As for the rest of the scoffers out there I would much rather have someone in the oval office that is more than willing to set those kind of goals and give the private sector the opportunity and encouragement to achieve them which is exactly what was proposed and needed.
Newt is not a perfect candidate and there never has been one in all our history but he has more pull up your bootstraps gumption than any other contender on the horizon.
There is an old saying "The dogs bark but the caravan passes on" Stay on the porch...

I actually made a simple operation out of it that, by virtue of how I did it, was inherently accurate and virtually guaranteed concentricity would be maintained. And without having to worry about angular and dimensional tolerances stacking up funny- an issue with the other ways of doing it, which I also explored.

It was actually a very elegant way to do it. It may not be the fastest- though the limiting factor there was the cutting rate anyway- but it was the best, IMHO.

So there <g>. Find something else to try and whack me with. That dog won't hunt.

My beef with the notion of a moon colony by 2020 is simple. It ain't happening no how no way without MASSIVE spending, and that's absurd to consider right now. It's the kind of thing you do when your house is in order. Ours isn't.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rrroae
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
The Bush/Obama percentage of deficit argument is specious and misleading. Bush was by no means frugal, but 11% of one trillion is a whole lot different from 14% of FIFTEEN trillion, which is how fast Obama is running things up. In truth, Bush made the US poor but Obama has made us bankrupt.

You seem like a nice enough guy Rocky but quite frankly, you don't have the first clue what you're talking about nor do you have any idea what the numbers are even when put right in front of your face.

I'm going to give it one more shot.

The Debt was $5.7 Trillion when Bush took office. When he left, it was $10.7 Trillion. That is an average increase of 11%.

The Debt when Obama took office was $10.7 Trillion. Today it stands at $15.2 Trillion. That is an average increase of 14% per year.

The rate of increases is a more accurate number because you need to take the rate of inflation into account. You said Obama was spending at 5x the rate of Bush but the reality is spending is right in line when comparing the two.

If you want to talk about a president who started us on the path towards bankruptcy, look at Reagan. The debt tripled under his watch which puts both Bush and Obama could do combined.

Stop making sense, Rex. The assembled doesn't want to hear it. They've got fantasies to maintain, you know.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
geez, jeff. the adventure would require a wild speculation. just like humans have always taken.

we owe some 15 trillion dollars, and the tab is increasing. how do you suggest we should choose to pay off said indebtness?

going to the Moon, and finding gold is quite the answer. if no gold is found, well, just how much worse off are we going to be, pray tell?

seriously, we humans are all down here together, and the moon and the Mars planet offers opportunity.

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Gus, it sounds good in theory but in reality it would cost such an obscene amount of money...

But hey. If the rest of y'all want to sign off on it as a "public works" type thing- massive deficit spending to create jobs, basically- I could go along with that. It'd be sort of our last gasp, but whatever.

But this notion it wouldn't cost massive public money is a farce.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B3

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Compared to Hussein's public money fiascoes, what's the bigger waste; something akin to the 1960s-1980s space program, or ballooning the welfare budgets?

Neither is worth a decent schit, but one is clearly worse than the other.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Near zero gravity would really improve the long range killing potential of my 444. Maybe this moon biz ain't such a bad idea.

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
The main problem with a moon colony is that it's a colony. On the moon.

As a side note, it's almost surreal how a prominent Republican can say something goofy... and some of the faithful just stumble and trip over themselves trying to rationalize it. I mean... what would Newt have to SAY?! crazy

Kennedy had to contend with those who lacked vision too.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O

I actually made a simple operation out of it that, by virtue of how I did it, was inherently accurate and virtually guaranteed concentricity would be maintained. And without having to worry about angular and dimensional tolerances stacking up funny- an issue with the other ways of doing it, which I also explored.

It was actually a very elegant way to do it. It may not be the fastest- though the limiting factor there was the cutting rate anyway- but it was the best, IMHO.

So there <g>. Find something else to try and whack me with. That dog won't hunt.

My beef with the notion of a moon colony by 2020 is simple. It ain't happening no how no way without MASSIVE spending, and that's absurd to consider right now. It's the kind of thing you do when your house is in order. Ours isn't.

Typical Jeff O BS once again...

Claiming to have found an "elegant" but slow way probably not making .50 cents an hour or even paying for tooling.

Akin to these classics...

Scope mounting..

Properly holding a rifle...

Blue tape...

Your 2008 voting record - just to name a few of your constant inability to justify how poor your decision processes work even when given excellent advice. Facts never get in your way when you are on a roll. Being you is most definitely a full time job. It is now time for you to respond in your most predictable manner (when you can no longer defend successfully your [bleep] up "humble" opinions) by saying "Bite Me"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Sounds about like global warming, green energy, green jobs, no voter IDs, unsecured borders and a service based economic society.

Why the [bleep] not at this stage?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

Haven't read this entire string and don't intend to.

Let me presently state, "I have no problem with anyone going to the Moon, Mars, Hell, Heaven or anywhere else as long as I don't have to pay for it."

If a private enterprise wants to mount an effort to go wherever let it raise capital to do so and, be it successful, we will all profit.

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Typical Jeff O BS once again...

Claiming to have found an "elegant" but slow way probably not making .50 cents an hour or even paying for tooling.

Akin to these classics...

Scope mounting..

Properly holding a rifle...

Blue tape...

Your 2008 voting record - just to name a few of your constant inability to justify how poor your decision processes work even when given excellent advice. Facts never get in your way when you are on a roll. Being you is most definitely a full time job. It is now time for you to respond in your most predictable manner (when you can no longer defend successfully your [bleep] up "humble" opinions) by saying "Bite Me"

I didn't "find" anything. I just made good parts with a rotab & tailstock on a mill. Pretty standard stuff.

You're getting yourself a bit horned up, compadre, but I ain't going there with you.

A privately funded moon colony by 2020. Snork.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
" I am all for space exploration"

"I am a sci-fi nut"

"The main problem with a moon colony is that it's a colony. On the moon."

Contradictory statements almost made in the same breath is your SOP...

Blue tape...Snork

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There's nothing contradictory about what he said.

Just because Jeff or some of us would like to see mankind continue to explore space doesn't mean we think it should be off taxpayers backs.

I'm convinced somewhere out there is Yoda and I want to meet the littler [bleep].

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

Tell me if this is such a great and profitable idea why the Private Sector has little or no interest in it?

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (257 roberts, 257_X_50, 21, 2ndwind, 41rem, 5 invisible), 2,354 guests, and 972 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,779
Posts18,536,017
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.