-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What is this "vacation time" thing you guys are talking about? Never heard of it.......

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
I get 11 paid holidays, 21 vacation days, and 10 sick days a year.

so, just for fun, how much should or could your wages be raised in exchange for less time off?

it's all a solution to an algebraic equation after all. but, who can think like that?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
BTW . . . there is a difference between "paid vacation" and "vacation with pay." grin

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
BTW . . . there is a difference between "paid vacation" and "vacation with pay." grin

true enough. i was thinking more about how does the work get accomplished while one is on "paid leave" versus when one is at work.

in other words, how does the work flow when one is away from one's desk, computer, machine or mgnt area?

if there's a work backup, who does it cost? the citizen, the owner, the customer? who pays for the time off, anyone know for sure?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have 365 days of payed vacation a year. It is called retirement. However, I am still working my butt off. This isn't the way it is supposed to work!

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I get 200 hours a year with the option to carry over 80 hours,which I usually do.I've been in this job over 30 years. Lightman

lightman
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have 320 hours available. I can carry over a year's worth of vacation, which is 160 hours.
I started out with 3 weeks a year and went to 4 weeks at 5 years.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
3 weeks vacation and 6 sick days a year. If I don't take the sick time they cash me out after 5 years. 30 days paid. Then it starts over.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
OHA LIFE MEMBER
RMEF LIFE MEMBER
*MOLON LABE SKYLA*
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've been at my current job 14 months. I receive:

10 days vacation
5 days personal/sick
7 holidays

Vacation days are use 'em or lose 'em. Personal/sick days can be used as vacation days, but any personal/sick time carried over to the next year becomes 'sick only' time. I will receive 15 vacation days after five years.

Last edited by savage24; 01/30/12.

"There's no schadenfreude like Hillary Clinton schadenfreude."
- Tamara Keel
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
4 weeks vacation, 1 week sick time, all Fed holidays and two floating holidays.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As much as I want without pay. Retirement job.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
5 Weeks off, been on the job 27 years, plus 6.5 days sick leave and 7 holidays and 2 floaters. The vacation and holidays have to be used by March 31 the following year or loose them. Don't like that part, but it is what it is. I do have 160 hours banked that I can use or take when I leave if I leave by a certain date I forget right now.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
365 days, like Chris c said, non paying retirement job, but you can't have everything.......

Jim
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I have a [bleep]-ton of it. I get an obscene amount per pay period. I would feel bad if I used it all. I can bank it and put itnin my retirement, which I do.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Gus
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
I get 11 paid holidays, 21 vacation days, and 10 sick days a year.

so, just for fun, how much should or could your wages be raised in exchange for less time off?

it's all a solution to an algebraic equation after all. but, who can think like that?

Nope, just the opposite. I have bought vacation time.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Gus
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Currently at 15 days plus holidays. Not as much as I need and more than the demands of my position allow.

i think you have possibly hinted at an underlying issue, or situation.

what happens to the work load while the employees takes justified annual or sick leave?

does it pile up on the desk, or does it get redirected to other workers in the group?

the work gets done, sooner or later, at some level of profit (or loss). grin

but, really how does the work really get done? who covers the base for the person on leave for annual leave (vacation time), or on sick leave. does overtime ever come into play to cover said vacnacy?

what happens to costs when a "chief" employee takes off, and leaves the work to others? could he be paid more to induce him/her to remain on the job with less vacation time?

I guess that I am one of the chief employees in the small P+H company I work for and I've found that while taking a day off here and there is really no big deal, taking an entire week off almost never constitutes an actual vacation. The week leading up to such a vacation is filled with the usual duties plus the added strain of trying to prepare for the unexpected th happen while I'm gone. Ditto on the workload when I return from such a vacation.

So, while a nice long vacation sounds great, it's the occasional long weekend that gives the more restfull break.

Last edited by bruinruin; 01/30/12.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Guess it all depends on priorities.

I don't want a job that won't let me take a few weeks off to hunt, fish, hike, or ride.

Eligible for retirement, but in no hurry to do so because I love my work too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GuyM
Guess it all depends on priorities.

I don't want a job that won't let me take a few weeks off to hunt, fish, hike, or ride.

I won't argue that point, in fact I'm starting to plan for some employment changes. In part for the reasons you mention.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Scott F
I have 365 days of payed vacation a year. It is called retirement. However, I am still working my butt off. This isn't the way it is supposed to work!

LOL - no kidding,I actually am not working my butt off, but I do stay busy.

One reason I took my retirement was the cut back in time off and policies that cut into my overtime when I used my time off.

As an employee I have always been willing to leave when i felt my employer had forgotten that I am a human with value and feelings.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Shift work. 7 on, 7 off, in a camp. Not quite a year with CNRL.
I started with 160 hours, because of my experience in the field.
I also get paid holidays when off, and triple time for working them. Four hours o.t. is automatic as I work 12 hour night shift. Sick days as needed, unless more than 7 straight, then STD kicks in. (not THAT STD!)
Up to two weeks for bereavement. Paid travel to and from work, 5 hour bus ride....4 hours if I drive.

Later.....

If guns kill people.....mine must be defective.
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

63 members (338Rules, AdventureBound, 406_SBC, 907brass, 300_savage, 9 invisible), 1,311 guests, and 705 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,449
Posts18,507,941
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.