Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
bufaf Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I've discovered that my left handed, 12 year old son is definitely right eye dominant. I suspected that was the case, but am now sure. What do you feel is better for him...learn to shoot right handed or continue shooting left handed? Anybody have experience with this?

Thanks,
Rob

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Get him shooting right handed, follow the dominant eye. He's still young enough at this age.

besides, trying to find good lefty guns is a fuggin curse I wouldn't wish on anyone...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
+1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'm just the opposite: Left eye dominant, right handed. I shoot left handed.... The eye is where it is at!!!!!! I've seen guys with your sons same situation fight this tooth and nail in the sporting clays fields. Make him switch asap.....Trust me on this one....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
After 35+ years of shooting right handed, I shoot much better switching to the dominant eye.

If I'm wrong, I'll admit it. If I don't reply further, I'm satisfied with my side of the "debate."
[Linked Image]
...nuff said.
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I'm right-handed, but left eye dominant and have been shooting left-handed since I was 13. After 30+ years of shooting left-handed, shooting right-handed is awkward for me now.

So, get your son to shooting right-handed. Soon it will be as natural to him as shooting left-handed was (actually more so, since he won't be fighting his dominant eye) and, as was previously mentioned, he won't have to deal with limited availability of firearms or having to operated right-handed guns left-handed.

ego operor non tutela
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'm left handed and right eye dominant and I learned from the beginning to shoot right handed. I'm going through the same thing now with my nine year old, teaching him to shoot right handed even though he is left handed

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Get him shooting right handed, follow the dominant eye. He's still young enough at this age.

besides, trying to find good lefty guns is a fuggin curse I wouldn't wish on anyone...

BIG +1 on all three statements.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Im the same way, and have been at this for 40 years now, I can shoot both ways but he needs to shoot with his Dom. eye, just because there are fewer left hand guns is Bull! I can shoot bows too, and learned to shoot left handed, but because of a bad eblow I now shoot right handed compound!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm in the same boat as your son. Definitely go with the dominant eye.

Pete

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm right handed left eye dominant.I have no problem shooting right handed except with a shotgun.As long as I can make my right eye focus on the sights,I don't have a problem.I my case,my left eye has clearer sharper vision than my right,even with corrective lenses.I used to shoot a bow without sights and a times my left eye would take over.But with sights,I have no problem.A shotgun shooting moving targets gives me hell though,this is where my left eye takes charge.With a scope,I never notice a problem at all.I'm the one who discovered I was crossed dominate after reading about it.Before that,I just blamed it on my glasses.I never shot left handed because it felt way to awkward for me with my extreme right handedness.Knowing you have this problem makes it easier to deal with.So really,it's up to the individual and what feels comfortable to the shooter.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Call Doc at MPI stocks. He may be able to make one for you. They offer a right hand, left eye dominant offset stock and can be laid up for just about any action. Check it out in the new products section on their site.

www.mpistocks.com

Last edited by longshot3; 02/01/12.
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I'm left handed and right eye donminant and have always shot right handed, I have a friend who is the same way. Try training him to shoot right handed and see how he handles it. Starting with a light recoiling shotgun with both eyes open may be the easiest way. You'll have to be patient with him, specially if he's been shooting left handed. Buy a brick of 22rf and let him bang away at easy targets. Just my .02 cents worth.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I'm right handed, left-eye dominant, so I learned to shoot guns and bows left-handed. I buy rifles with the bolt on the left side. Semi-autos I don't care about, as long as the safety is left-handed. Right-side ejection doesn't bother me at all.

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In our (the other instructors too) experience teaching 4-H trap it's better to teach kids to shoot from their dominant eye side. I continue to be amazed at how quickly kids adapt to shooting "wrong handed," so much more quickly than adults. Physiologically it has to do with still developing brains. We have had parents insist that their child shoot from their hand-dominant side and problems, problems, problems. Same with archery.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I recently figured out that my 5 yr old son is right handled/left eye dominant. He just started shooting a .22 rifle with open sights and a .22 pistol with a red dot. I noticed it on the rifle because of how he was mounting his face to the stock. Trying to figure out what to do. He will eventually be shooting scoped rifles, handguns, shotguns, compound bows, traditional bows, etc. He is still young enough to train either way, but it sounds like the consensus is to train him to shoot everything left handed. I know it sounds funny, but I almost hate to turn him into a lefty when it comes to rifles.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That young I'd wonder if you can expect eye dominance to change, I don't know. I have noticed shooters change in the strength of eye dominance through the early teens. Visual acuity can affect eye dominance, that's how squinting or fogging a lens on shooting glasses can shift mild dominance. So a visit with an optometrist to make sure both eyes are working their best is a good place to start.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
An issue that I think 95% of parents fail to recognize given the students we see in our hunter ed classes.

Go to the dominant eye. With plenty of time one can compensate and use the off eye. I sometimes go to the off eye with a rifle when I don't have the luxury of switching positions, but it takes 3 times longer to get everything aligned and execute the shot. When things are happening in a hurry though, like shotgunning etc, going with the proper eye will be much more efficient.

I'm totally screwed up and do several things left handed even though I'm right eyed. The hardest switch was going from lefty with a bow at about age 30 over to the right hand. It really improved my accuracy though, and after about a week of practice, it felt absolutely natural.

For some reason, parents often seem to fight this issue. I think their justification is simply economics, and young lady in one of my hunter saftey classes nailed it one evening. Her comment was that she was left eye dominant and "her cheap bastard dad would not buy her a left handed rifle."

If he's done much shooting, muscle memory with make it seem awkward at first. Get in a ton of short term practice though, and he should come around easily. Let us know how things go if you give it a try.

Last edited by 1minute; 02/01/12.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Concentrate on the dominate eye, but teach ambidexterity.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Go with the eye.

Being left-handed has kept my gun purchases to a reasonable level. If I was right handed, I'd be broke.

If you think you can't find nice LH rifles, look at some posted here.

Support your local brewer.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1minute, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 67 invisible), 2,327 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,684
Posts18,513,491
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.