Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
akjeff Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Some powders have ingredients/additives to to reduce copper fouling in the bore. Since cartridge brass is made up primarily of copper, do these chemicals also act on the the case, as well?

Jeff

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Possibly - or even probably. But remember that the case sees one firing whereas the bore sees every firing. So the bore sees a cumulative effect. The case is exposed only for as many times as it is reloaded.

(And it was a very prescient question, indeed!)

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

akjeff Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Rocky.

Also curious as to how these compounds do their thing. Do they require heat and or high pressure, or do they continue to work after firing? If so, is there something that a reloader should do to neutralize the case before reloading? Particularly of the reloaded roads may sit for an extended time, before being fired again.

Jeff

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm no chemist, but (subject to correction) the additive is either a tin or bismuth compound. As the hot gasses pass down the bore, copper replaces the tin or bismuth in the compound. The resulting "copper somethingate" passes out the muzzle, along with the displaced atoms of bismuth or tin.

Besides bismuth or tin, the third thing that would remove copper would be an ammonium compound. But as we know how bad ammonia is for brass, they don't use that. Neither tin nor bismuth harm brass enough to warrant any special case cleaning.

akjeff Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Gotcha. Thanks Rocky!

Jeff

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I'm no chemist, but (subject to correction) the additive is either a tin or bismuth compound. As the hot gasses pass down the bore, copper replaces the tin or bismuth in the compound. The resulting "copper somethingate" passes out the muzzle, along with the displaced atoms of bismuth or tin.

Besides bismuth or tin, the third thing that would remove copper would be an ammonium compound. But as we know how bad ammonia is for brass, they don't use that. Neither tin nor bismuth harm brass enough to warrant any special case cleaning.

Rocky,

My understanding of how the copper erasing agent works is somewhat similar what you have written. It is only the gaseous molecular copper that is scavenged (chelated) and blown out of the bore along with the combustion gases.

Since the copper in the brass case is not gaseous (until it is exposed to heat and pressure during firing), it is essentially inert to the copper erasers compounded in the gun powder during non-firing conditions.

How much a brass case is degraded by each firing with CE powder vs. non-CE powder would be interesting to know. I suspect this has been determined and maybe someone that knows will post the answer.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks. I was thinking gaseous copper, but didn't say it explicitly. Because no (or much less) copper is being deposited, any copper that's already in the bore will eventually vaporize under heat and be eliminated. So goes the theory, anyway. But cases ought to be safe, as you say.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I've used powder with decoppering agents in it a LOT over the past decade, and have never noticed any effect on the brass.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I've used powder with decoppering agents in it a LOT over the past decade, and have never noticed any effect on the brass.

Thanks. I suspected as much but since I mostly cull cases after 5-10 firings, I could not say what happens after the 10th firing.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

113 members (AlleghenyMountain, 44mc, 7887mm08, 6mmCreedmoor, 10Glocks, AceBall, 12 invisible), 1,637 guests, and 996 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,449
Posts18,528,831
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.