-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Depends on the rifle. My Browning B92 .44 Mag is my only centerfire without a scope but all three of my Marlins have Warne Quick Detach rings.

Eyes don't like irons nearly as much as they used to.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
I just put on some fiber optic sights. I think i'm going to like them. Even though the sights are a little blurry with my crummy eyesight. I find it easy to line up the sights.

I'm going to go shoot it after lunch.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
S
S
PM sent

...I spent most of my money on Guns, Women & Booze. The rest I wasted.

...I started out with nothing and after paying for all my hunting I'm getting back to where I started.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Sometimes.

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I've gone back to metallic sights for all my rifle hunting. I like being "limited" by them. They inspire me to hunt better, harder and smarter. With metallic sights I almost never have an opportunity to just raise my rifle, aim and shoot. I have to get closer or the lights not right, the angles wrong, can't thread a shot through the brush, etc., etc., etc. When an animal is spotted the hunt is just beginning, kind a like bow hunting. These critters may not be trophies as far as the "book" is concerned, but all were hard earned and memorable in their own way.

2 hour stalk to get within 25 yards of herd
[Linked Image]

All day cat and mouse across the prairie
[Linked Image]

10 yard ram after 3,000' climb & many days
[Linked Image]

Goofy stag buck last day of season ordeal (lesson re-learned)
[Linked Image]

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Iron sights and still hunting go together like ham and eggs. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Thanks for all the posts guys. Seeing someone using iron sights always brings a smile to my face. smile

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mw406
I've gone back to metallic sights for all my rifle hunting. I like being "limited" by them. They inspire me to hunt better, harder and smarter. With metallic sights I almost never have an opportunity to just raise my rifle, aim and shoot. I have to get closer or the lights not right, the angles wrong, can't thread a shot through the brush, etc., etc., etc. When an animal is spotted the hunt is just beginning, kind a like bow hunting. These critters may not be trophies as far as the "book" is concerned, but all were hard earned and memorable in their own way.

2 hour stalk to get within 25 yards of herd
[Linked Image]

All day cat and mouse across the prairie
[Linked Image]

10 yard ram after 3,000' climb & many days
[Linked Image]

Goofy stag buck last day of season ordeal (lesson re-learned)
[Linked Image]

EG 300 Sav?

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
1922 vintage 1899 Model G in .300 Savage. Antelope rifle is a .250-3000.

T
T
I've shot several whitetail and one hog with open sight handirifle in .45-70. shot one running doe with open sight mosin-nagant 7.62x54r. hope to take my 1903 springfield in .35 whelen fitted with redfield aperture sight after elk this october.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I still like to hunt with open/aperature sights when the conditions are right. I have a few rifles and muzzleloaders set up for them. A pair of T.C. sidelock percussion rifles, a Winchester 64 in 30/30, Marlin 30AS in 30/30, and a new to me Mauser 98 in 9.3x57. The Buck was from this years early muzzloader season with the T.C. .45. Still hunting, shot at @ 20 feet from the muzzle, patched roundball.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Excellent.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Forgot one:

Type 38 in 6.5 Arisaka mannlicher.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
me too
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ravenr
me too
[Linked Image]

Nice Shiras.

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
I never get tired of looking at guns with iron sights. They look so right to me. Seeing the game they killed is even better.

Keep them coming men.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
These pics have been shown before but redundancy is not always a bad thing...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
While this isn't really open sights it is a 1-4X that was set on 1X and still looks "right" to me.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
One more
[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've got a couple of lever actions that wear receiver sights and have taken 6 deer with muzzleloader and open sights plus two with revolver. Open sights do have their place and are without a doubt the quickest for close shots. Scopes certainly have their place as well. I've taken many deer with my scope sighted rifles that I couldn't have been certain of an open shot with iron sights due to vegetation.

300 yd shots with open sights may be easy for BrentD but I seriously doubt my abilities (and 99+% of most hunters) to accurately place the first shot on a critter at that yardage under field conditions with open sights, practice or not.

If I'm going to hunt with open sights as I do on occasion I do so knowing that I may have to pass up a shot that would be relatively easy with a scope. That is part of the challenge and the fun.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sambo3006
Open sights do have their place and are without a doubt the quickest for close shots. Scopes certainly have their place as well. I've taken many deer with my scope sighted rifles that I couldn't have been certain of an open shot with iron sights due to vegetation.

I'll agree there are times open sights allow a guy to see (and avoid) vegetation he wouldn't have seen through a scope but I must say with the single focal plane scopes are much faster (for me at least).

When shooting open sights you have to focus on 3 points. The rear and front sights plus the target. Peeps are quicker some as you just concentrate on the front sight and the target but still not as quick as a scope. Maybe I just need to practice more with open sights. I don't know. I do enjoy killing critters without a scope though. It just seems more satisfying.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I really wish I had just one non-scoped hunting rifle in my humble collection that worked for me but sadly, the ones I tried, MOA becomes H (hour) OA. I've got a 30-30 that I couldn't find the paper at 100 yards. I finally gave up and put a scope on it.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 1Longbow, 1936M71, 1800topsoil, 007FJ, 64 invisible), 2,448 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,692
Posts18,494,109
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.