Page 18 of 25 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 24 25
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by 340boy
Originally Posted by Seafire

Seafire,
Cool!!

I would have given a left !@# to see that B47 fly under a bridge.
(I always liked the F-101, also)

340 Boy...

bet you would have loved to be in my shoes when I was in high school...I am originally from No Virginia... and was an airplane buff from about 11 years old... besides living in England for 3 years as a kid, being around all of these old WW 2 bases, that Nato still had opened in case war ever broke out...I went to school on one base that had a skeleton crew to keep it functional.. RAF Molesworth...had B 17s there with the 303rd BG in WW2...there were still a few B 17 body parts around at a junkyard area on base.. we kids use to go play on and around given the chance... the control tower and the airfield was left readily available to be operational in about 48 hrs if needed...miles of the old Nissan huts were standing, that had been boarded up when the war ended...

my Jr high requested of the Air Force to let us have the old briefing room for a squadron as an auditorium... so they did in 1965....it was to be cleaned up by our gym class in the winter, when it was raining all the time.. our school at the time was like 75 to 80% girls.. so it was assigned to the boys gym class...

when we went in there to clean it up, it had been locked up for 20 years, since 1945... dark, full of dust, half the lights didn't work...

it was like a movie theatre..with the floor sloping down toward the stage... behind the stage was a curtain and a big wall behind it...we cleaned this place up every day for a couple of weeks..

when we pulled the curtain back from the wall, on the wall was a large map of NW and Northern Europe.... still marked and hanging on the wall, were all the information for the flight crew briefings on the last bomber mission flown from Molesworth by the 303rd in 1945....

for those of us that were aviation buffs, we freaked out when the school wanted it all torn down... or gym coach was a WW 2 gunner on a B 17, and he was thrilled so many of us boys were taking it all in...however the school won and the map was taken down and the curtain taken down and washed... as it was full of dust...
I'll continue this on a new post..

What a discovery for a young airplane lover. Thanks for sharing, Seafire.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Kind of off Subject but I remember climbing all over this plane on old E US99 south of Portland,OR. My Aunt and Uncle owned a Motel alittle south of the gas station.

[Linked Image]

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
and the final one, you'd love to have walked in my shoes...

I was assembly line building model Airplanes since I was 12...

I joined the IPMS, International Plastic Modelers Society in England as a kid... it was mainly populated by Adults...

when I was in high school, and we were back home in Virginia there was a chapter in the Metro DC area...so when I got my drivers licenses I started attending regularly, with my buddies who worked at the hobby shop I worked at in Springfield there..

This happened pretty quick, but there was this old retired Colonel that was older than mud back in the late 60s... but he was impressed with some of the models me and my buddies brought in for display... he was setting up the National Guard Museum and asked us if we would like to build displays of various planes for the museum... we would donate our time, but they would supply all the kits, decal markings, paint, glue etc...

in return we got to have a pass that allowed us to go just about anywhere in the Library of Congress to research whatever we needed, plus he was also on board with the Smithsonian as a consultant, and worked with folks building displays for their aviation stuff... and plus we would get free and unlimited access to Silver Hill.. which is basically the Smithsonian's Garage... a left over logistics warehouse area given to them after WW 2 closed...

we jumped on it..we also got on board building displays for the Smithsonian...

Silver Hill is just warehouse upon warehouse, of stuff just full of all the stuff the Smithsonian owns.... you do a tour to be shown where everything is... and after that, you show an ID badge they issued you, listing you as an employee... you sign in and sign out... and after that, even as a high school kid, we could go into about anywhere we wanted to..

I have set in the cockpits of so many different and famous A/C few would believe.. I have sat at the controls of the Enola Gay, with no one over my shoulder to tell me to "get out of there kid!".. except my buddies wanting their turn...

I've sat in the Mercury and Gemini capsules, X15 cockpit, all of the German A/C cockpits of the stuff brought back stateside after WW 2 for test and evaluation..

ME 262 Nightfighter, Do335 fighter, FW 190s, ME 109s, ME 410 just to name a few....

and just about any American A/C from WW 2 and before...plus all sorts of test stuff...X1 that broke the sound barrier, X 2, X 3, X5..

the dream ended in Dec 1970 when I left to go to college in Boston...but for a high school kid, I lived in heaven from 1968 to 1970.. funny tho, only the buddies I had who lived and breathed Airplanes thought anything of it..but even bringing my 'airplane buddies' was no big deal... about every other Saturday, I spent all day at Silver Hill over in Maryland there..

took my G/F over there, and here response was 'oh this is boring!'...

not for me tho!

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by W7ACT
Kind of off Subject but I remember climbing all over this plane on old E US99 south of Portland,OR. My Aunt and Uncle owned a Motel alittle south of the gas station.

[Linked Image]

yeah Archie.. that is a B17.. everytime I am up in Portland, I always swing by there just to look at it...they have been trying to restore it for years...

the cockpit and nose have been off of it for years now....

I still just walk around it and my mind goes to thoughts of what life was like for the crews who flew them into combat...

according to the info posted around there, that gas station was one of the highest volume gas stations in the USA in the late 60s and early 1970s... so I guess the B17 on pylons over head really brought in the customers...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
The aircraft isn't so tough, but you need to get the country and role. laugh

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by djs
Originally Posted by prm
Here's a pretty easy one. But a cool plane anyway.

[Linked Image]

The US Navy flew Kifirs from Oceania Naval Air Station (Virginia Beach) for combat maneuvering training purposes in the late 1980's. I've got a picture of one in US Navy markings somewhere that I took during an open house.

The USMC also had a squadron equipped with Kfir's at Yuma that was tasked with the same mission. They were leased from the IDAF, I believe.

I'm becoming more tolerant of intolerant people.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Foxbat
Originally Posted by djs
Originally Posted by prm
Here's a pretty easy one. But a cool plane anyway.

[Linked Image]

The US Navy flew Kifirs from Oceania Naval Air Station (Virginia Beach) for combat maneuvering training purposes in the late 1980's. I've got a picture of one in US Navy markings somewhere that I took during an open house.

I thought the Navy used them as dissimilar aggressors or is that what combat maneuvering training is in Navy lingo?

ACM and they didn't last long, maint nightmare and short airframe life, then again we bent the schit out of them smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The aircraft isn't so tough, but you need to get the country and role. laugh

[Linked Image]
Alright, i'll give it a shot. F-5, USAF, Aggressor.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Good work, AKmtnhntr.

Aggressors out of Alconbury that spent a week at our base teaching our Rhino jocks to avoid getting their asses flamed.

[Linked Image]

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
OK, here's a 2 fer. Easier to scan that way.

The ground crew to the right of the 1st jet obviously had a rough night.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I remember our squadron flying against Aggressors in the PI, always had fun going there for Cope Thunder. I remember their color scheme was a blue camo but I think they had a few that were that were the same color as that one. Good times.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D

[Linked Image]

Fiat G1? and OV-1 Mohawk

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV

[Linked Image]

Fiat G1? and OV-1 Mohawk

G91, actually, but you were close enough.

And yes, on the OV-1 as well.

[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Kudos to all.

Top one is a CAC Wirraway, second one is a CAC Boomerang, and yes, also a Sauer 202 (Sig line)

Here's one for you guys to try your luck at. Sure you'll get it pretty quickly.

[Linked Image]

Have fun!

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I believe that's a YA-9, the forerunner to the Warthog.

(Guys - I'm really stupid when it comes to technology. Is there an easy way to post pics here on the 'Fire? If someone could provide a quick tutorial, I'd be most grateful.)

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The Y-A9 was actually the loser in the ground attack competition that was won by the A-10. It actually would have made a terrific follow-on aircraft for the Forward Air Control mission.

To post pictures, sign up for a free account at Photobucket, upload your pictures and then copy and paste the link that appear in a drop-down box.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
How about this one? hehe

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Vigilante!

Support the BC Wildlife Federation
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Here are a few that I've always been fond of (or intrigued by):

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Page 18 of 25 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 24 25

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 61 invisible), 2,450 guests, and 1,368 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,354
Posts18,527,058
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.