Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
BP-B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Shrapnel and MCH:

Very nice on all three.

I've done the deed with the nice ones. Beat them up along with breaking them. Today I lean more to the "rustic", but can still appreciate the good looking ones.

Then:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Now:

[Linked Image]

This Winchester 59 started out almost virgin and quickly has gone rustic. Although the older Winchesters never were known for a lasting finish.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

laissez les bons temps rouler
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Battue the pictures hide the damage done from hunting chukar in ID. If you look close you can see some of it. Anyways they were made to be used in my opinion. If I can't shoot it and hunt with it then it really isn't of much use to me.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I don't own a single gun that hasn't killed something, regardless of the value or condition, but sometimes even an ugly gun needs a date...

[Linked Image]]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee202/bridgershooters/103_0077.jpg[/img]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Cool pics guys.

"If what I say offends you, you should hear what I don't say."
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Shrapnel I don't see any ugly guns just an ugly guy! LOL just kidding good pictures.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Honestly that is a tough price point for a well made functioning double. I personally would wait and save a little extra coin and go for the Caeser Guerini Woodlander for $3100.00.

I have been impressed with this gun. Have shot it for about 4 months now, its not mine but I shoot it like I own it! Have two buddies with them. 1 is a 12ga 28" and the other is a 20ga 30". Yes the 20ga is my favorite.

The sub $3k and under market is very weak in options in my opinion. If CSMC would produce a plain jane OU keeping it simple 28" and 30" barrels and in 12ga and 20ga with plain wood at $2500 or under they would strike gold.

Thanks for the feedback. I'd been eyeballing the Caeser Guerini for a while now as I kept seeing good write ups in the yearly shotgun reviews with Outdoor Life. I just never took the plunge with an O/U as I've always loved the handling of my old Silver Hawk 12ga. I've been saving for a replacement and was willing to pay a bit more to find something that would work as well, but my hitch was that I wanted a steel gun that was as light, mine is a tad over 7-pounds. One of my hunting partners is a Guild Member smiths and is a dealer who likes the CSMC shotguns that went through his shop. He recently sold a nice RBL that was priced within reach, but they are near a pound heavier than my original Silver Hawk. There is also an old Victor Sarasqueta 12ga that was ordered and fitted for a late family member back in the 60's still in the family. This seems to be a well made gun that is all fancied up in excellent shape, but it is currently in the hands of another family member out of state. He has it on display in a friend's fine gun shop. I've been debating working out a deal for this shotgun as it may fit my bill, but I've been in no hurry as it's not going anywhere.

Hence, I noticed the Browning 725 and Select 101 which piqued my interest as they were not too expensive, made of steel and are light in 12ga. Other than a few hardcore clay guys, such as yourself, most of the feedback I'd seen from field use seemed to be overwhelmingly positive. Was thinking they'd make a cost effective gateway gun over to an O/U. Otherwise, the guys I run with tend to think I should stick with side by sides and just bide my time to find the right gun.

Mine is still in good shape and has more years of service left, but like most everyone else, I'd like to get something new and shiny to use for a while. Nothing wrong with 20ga, my bud hunts with a woderful handling L.C. Smith 20ga which makes me smile to mount, but I've just always used 12ga and am stuck in my misguided ways. In fact, I just came inside from starting an acid tan pickle bath for the rabbit hides just taken with my Silver Hawk. The rabbits are in a brine and will hit the grill tomorrow stuffed with jalapeno's and vadalias with a bacon wrap. My 12ga just aint quite as pretty as she once was, but she still feels the same when afield and results in plenty of joy.

Best smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Are you sure about the Silverhawk being a pound lighter then the RBL? Could very well be but I wouldn't just go by weight. It maybe balanced very well at a pound heavier. Where they both 28" barreled guns?

I own a silverhawk and have owned several RBL's. I like them both but I sold the RBL's because it was going to be too much to get them to fit me properly. The Silverhawk has a custom stock on it already. If it were not for having sentimental value I wouldn't have spent the coin on the Silverhawk stock. I have somewhere around 30K thru the Silverhawk and am not sure the round count before it was given to me. Mine is a 1969 model and its still going strong.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My Silver Hawk is just over 7-pounds weighed on a scale. I don't have an accurate ounce scale here now where I'm at, but when it was weighed, I recall it was no more than an ounce or two over 7-pounds. The RBL had the same barrel length and was an ounce or two under 8-pounds. My Silver Hawk has excellent balance and carrys very well. I've never had the chance to carry and handle an RBL many hours over several days, but in my mind, the extra weight was still there over and above what I've grown accustomed. When I've hunted with the friend with the nice 20ga, we have exchanged guns to test, and both he and I feel that mine carrys well as his.

I'm not a snobbish individual by any means as I tend to get one thing that works well and run it till the wheels fall off. I'm not into the glitz and glimmer stuff. But at some point I'm going to pull the trigger on purchasing another good field double so I can give the other to my oldest. I jumped into this thread because I respect input from you guys.

Best smile

Edited Note: I don't have much knowledge about the RBL, so maybe with the differences in stock wood, barrel thickness, options and such, there may be a fair weight swing between different RBL 12ga builds. The one I referenced may have been a heavy one whereas another could be had lighter. I'll look into that further, as they seem to be very nice guns.

Last edited by GaryVA; 02/13/12.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
So do you want an OU or side by side? Tony may work with you on an RBL getting it into a weight you would be happy with. If you want an OU I would look at the Caeser but if you were willing to go up a little more in price then a Zoli would be my first choice. But again for $3K I do like the Caeser Woodlander very much.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks, PM sent smile

- Clint Eastwood
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
738 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 78 invisible), 2,647 guests, and 904 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,186,224
Posts18,371,165
Members73,765
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.