Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Never forgave him for suing WW over the WSM stuff...he was totally worthless in my eyes after that stunt. Before that he had his contest to name his line of short mags and decided to name them Jamison this and Jamison that...I thought "Aww hell...come on!"

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
GB1

N
NFG Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Not really Mannlicher...just a "tongue in cheek" ignorant response to the other ignorant response. In the old days I had hair down to my waist and a beard/'tash half way down my chest, hair sticking out all over the place including my own warm furry everything else. That remark just struck me as too stupid for words.

Rick Jamison and Layne Simpson at least produced excellent, well designed, testable data when the rest of the garbage coming out of the gun rags wasn't worth dog wallop.

Jamison had good reason to be "arrogant". He KNEW his sh**...which is much more than can be said for all the anti-Jamisons I've read so far. Anyone who DIDN'T learn from his work must have sh** for brains because they totally missed all the excellent information he presented, but that's pretty much par for the course.

EVERYONE had the choice to read or NOT TO READ Jamisons articles.

If WW did that to ME, I would have sued them too...He should have dropped a dime and collected it himself at the same time...Jezzzz...maybe YOU like to lay down and take it in the ... but I'm not built that way.

What's so great about WW...they're no different than any other company...or person...they will screw you to death if they can get away with it.

Damn, People, how long ago did that lawsuit happen???...this is a new day...GET OVER IT AND GET A NEW LIFE.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Never forgave him for suing WW over the WSM stuff...he was totally worthless in my eyes after that stunt. Before that he had his contest to name his line of short mags and decided to name them Jamison this and Jamison that...I thought "Aww hell...come on!"

Why in the hell does Rick Jamison have any LESS of a right to name a cartridge or series of cartidges with his own name than Winchester or Remington does? Or Ned Roberts , Townsend Whelen or Art Mashburn? Or protect his own intellectual property?

Jamison got s settlement in his case against Winchester for some very valid reasons.

Get a clue and stop being such an envious, hateful moron.

Last edited by jim62; 02/05/12.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
he took a concept pioneered by the likes of Lazeroni and calls it his own?

opportunist at best, parasite may be more accurate.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by toad
he took a concept pioneered by the likes of Lazeroni and calls it his own?

opportunist at best, parasite may be more accurate.

Lazerorni did not "pioneer" anything. The short /fat cartridge case design concept had been around for ages.

If Jamison is a parasite, then what the [bleep] does that make Remington and Winchester? Outright theives?

Most of the concepts for ammunition they have introduced have been stolen from others.

Winchester legal dept screwed up bigtime when they assumed that the Short Magnums were totally public domain AND that they had the right to use others development work. Rick Jamison merely protected his own designs.

Lazoroni and anyone else could have done the same. The PPC cartridges were similarly protected for many years.

Last edited by jim62; 02/05/12.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
so in your world, Colt should sue everybody that ever chambered a gun in .45 Long Colt?

S&W should sue everybody that ever chambered a gun in .38 S&W Special?

Winchester should sue for all of the .308 Win. guns out there?

that would be really serve all those 'thieves' right...

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I recently heard through the gun-writer grapevine that Rick did not patent the concept of short-fat magnums. Instead he patented a process to mass-produce the cases, which is a different thing entirely.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can believe that JB.

The concept of the short fat mag precedes Jamison or Lazzeroni.

Folks were getting magnum velocities out of the 348 Win necked down to various sizes. The 348 is a 2 1/4" case BTW

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I recently heard through the gun-writer grapevine that Rick did not patent the concept of short-fat magnums. Instead he patented a process to mass-produce the cases, which is a different thing entirely.

That would explain a lot.

And also explain that most of Jamison's critics who are accusing him of protecting the unpatentable don't know what the hell they are talking about.

Companies the size of Olin -Winchester do not settle out of court unless they have to.

Jamison's claim was not some baseless nuisance lawsuit.

To all gunmaker critics-
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
6mm250,

Yeah, before the case lawyers contacted about every gun writer in the business, asking what we knew about the history of the short-fat concept--and if we'd testify about it. I told the guy who called me about the Gradle (and other cartridges) based on the .348, and heard from other writers who got similar calls. I never heard from the guy again.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
That does make a lot more sense. Seems there are too many eager to jump on the bandwagon to criticize Rick, when he deserves the benefit of the doubt.

We owe him that much. After all the years of reading and enjoying his writings, we shouldn't be so quick to throw him under the bus... frown

DF

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
it really isn't that tough...

Jamison vs Olin/Winchester

Plaintiff John R. Jamison claims to have invented, developed and patented several
revolutionary types of hunting rifles and cartridge concepts.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by Godogs57

Aw, c'mon. He had a legitimate patent. The court said so. Why should he let some giant corporation--a foreign owned one at that--steal his intellectual property?

Why are you taking sides with FN Herstal (Winchester) against the little guy?

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Reading the court docket it sounds like Rick some agreement when he started working with them (breach language) and had brought in some ideas that he had covered in patents that Pre dated what the makers where doing.

If they broke an agreement to pay him for his contribution, and he had patent coverage them they really got nailed for changing their promise more so than the patents.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
With an out of court settlement, we may never know if it was a "serious" settlement or a cost of litigation settlement.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

I don't know about that. I read the actual patent not that many years ago, and my recollection is that he was basically patenting a certain cartridge length to width ratio that he claimed produced some kind of magical performance. And he was also claiming his research covered all bore diameters from .22 to .416. My impression on reading the patent was he was basically setting himself up to sue somebody down the road.

Last edited by RufusG; 02/05/12. Reason: spellin'
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by toad
so in your world, Colt should sue everybody that ever chambered a gun in .45 Long Colt?

S&W should sue everybody that ever chambered a gun in .38 S&W Special?

Winchester should sue for all of the .308 Win. guns out there?

that would be really serve all those 'thieves' right...

SAAMI is among other things a cross-licensing organization sort of like the SAE. Compare Alexander Arms which recently had a proprietary cartridge go SAAMI with J.D. Jones.

A good idea where there is prior art is to first assert prior use or obvious to invalidate claims of ownership then go ahead. It's a bad idea to go ahead and infringe then try to invalidate.

IMHO Mr. Jamison has something to say and I'd buy a book if he chose to self publish as others do more or less these days. There seems to be a delicate balance indeed between popular appeal and technical and narrow focus. Some fine writers with a narrow or technical focus - some who once appeared in Wolfe publications frex - can't get published in a newstand magazine these days. Others obviously walk that balance beautifully.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by IndyCA35

Aw, c'mon. He had a legitimate patent. The court said so. Why should he let some giant corporation--a foreign owned one at that--steal his intellectual property?

Exactly.

If somebody is smart enough, and worked hard enough, to create something unique enough to be patented, and determined enough to make it stick against a company the size of Winchester......

I'm thinking if this happened to many of Jamison's critics, they would either be crying in their beer, or they would've done exactly what Jamison did.

More power to Rick Jamison.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Dude patents only cover 20 years... After that anyone can replicate it

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by IndyCA35

Exactly.

If somebody is smart enough, and worked hard enough, to create something unique enough to be patented, and determined enough to make it stick against a company the size of Winchester......

I'm thinking if this happened to many of Jamison's critics, they would either be crying in their beer, or they would've done exactly what Jamison did.

More power to Rick Jamison.

Casey

FN Herstal owns Winchester firearms. The ammo business is owned by Olin Chemical, an American company.

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 55 invisible), 2,641 guests, and 1,330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,407
Posts18,528,023
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.