Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
BLASPHEMY!!! smile

Last edited by safariman; 02/04/12.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Back in the late 80's I bought 5 of the Police Positives (second issue) that had been surplused by some South American police dept for $65 each. They were beat up, well worn..etc as you might expect. I used them for tackle box / boat guns. Kept a couple in my pickups, and every day basic beaters. Then one day I woke up and realize, that those were still very fine guns. I've managed to replace some of the worst worn parts and they now reside in places of honor amoung my other revolvers. They have handled some of my hottest reloads for 38 Spec with no problems. I love the small size, but they are a handful with hot ammo.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Okay, then I'll double-down on blasphemy. wink

There are plenty of BIG dollar handguns out there. A guy can spend $5K on a 1911, so the 'too expensive to make' argument doesn't hold water. If the Colt DA designs were superior in any way there would still be some sort of new gun market - they're not, so there isn't.

But, the there's no denying the appeal Colt DA's have with some folks and that's fine. Owning a piece of old time craftsmanship and history are good reasons, IMO.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by JOG
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
S&W could always undercut their price with their M&P/Model 10, which wasn't nearly as dependent on so much in the way of skilled hands to put them together.

Another way to look at that is the S&W is fundementally a better design - simpler, more efficient, and capable of being tuned to be the equal of any Colt.
That's a legitimate way to look at it. I'm also a fan of the old S&Ws. Like you say, tuned up right, they're just as good, as a practical matter, as the old Colts, some say better. But then you could also argue that a $50.00 quarts wristwatch is just as good as a hand assembled Swiss mechanical wristwatch, as it keeps time just as well, if not better.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
But then you could also argue that a $50.00 quarts wristwatch is just as good as a hand assembled Swiss mechanical wristwatch, as it keeps time just as well, if not better.

There's still a new market for hand-assembled Swiss watches. wink

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Allen917
Back in the late 80's I bought 5 of the Police Positives (second issue) that had been surplused by some South American police dept for $65 each. They were beat up, well worn..etc as you might expect. I used them for tackle box / boat guns. Kept a couple in my pickups, and every day basic beaters. Then one day I woke up and realize, that those were still very fine guns. I've managed to replace some of the worst worn parts and they now reside in places of honor amoung my other revolvers. They have handled some of my hottest reloads for 38 Spec with no problems. I love the small size, but they are a handful with hot ammo.

I got 5 from AIM 10 years ago for destructive test, and then realized I had found treasure.
I have been collecting Colts ever since.
Don't try to re time them without first doing it by the numbers per this book
http://www.amazon.com/Colt-Double-Action-Revolvers-Manual/dp/B000IXMGDS

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Thanks Clarkm, I placed an order for one of the books. I have one pistol that is very marginal on lock up and timing. Usually have to rock the hammer back a little a second time to get everything aligned and locked.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is my simplistic view of how the double action timing works:
The trigger pushes on the hand that pushes on the ejector & ratchet that rotates the cylinder.
But before the hand reaches the ratchet, the trigger pushes on the strut that pushes on the hammer that pushes on the rebound lever that pushes on the tang of the bolt that causes the bolt to pivot and releases the cylinder for rotating.
As the trigger moves back further, the tang of the bolt falls off the cam of the rebound lever, allowing the bolt spring to push the bolt against the cylinder. As the cylinder revolves further the bolt drops into the cylinder slot, locking the cylinder. As the trigger pulls further, the trigger clears the strut and the hammer falls.

My simplistic way is adjusting timing:
a) Shorten the strut.
b) File on the cam on the rebound lever.
c) Bend the tang on the bolt.

My simplistic warning:
The problem that there are lots of constraints, and one can't put material back on an action bar or hand.
So that is why one should follow the directions in the book and go through all the tests to determine exactly what should be done first. If you had a handful of rebound levers and hands, you could go around in circles wasting parts.
New replacement parts are too big and don't work right until fitted.
Existing parts that were fitted at the factory should probably not have any more material removed.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Thanks for everyone's input. I went to look at the PPS Sat morning and it was nice but I decided against it. The asking price was not negotiable and even though it had been reblued by Colt, there was something at the end of the barrel that didn't look right. I am not a collector but if I had bought it and then went to sell it, I would had gotten beaten up because of the reblue.

I did however go the the local gunshow and after much fondling of many revolvers ,I came home with a very nice (but not perfect) original S&W Model 66 no dash with a 4" barrel. Anyone have a set of carbide dies they need to part with?

Thanks again,

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by WeimsnKs
Thanks for everyone's input. I went to look at the PPS Sat morning and it was nice but I decided against it. The asking price was not negotiable and even though it had been reblued by Colt, there was something at the end of the barrel that didn't look right. I am not a collector but if I had bought it and then went to sell it, I would had gotten beaten up because of the reblue.

I did however go the the local gunshow and after much fondling of many revolvers ,I came home with a very nice (but not perfect) original S&W Model 66 no dash with a 4" barrel. Anyone have a set of carbide dies they need to part with?

Thanks again,
I was going to that gunshow yesterday but came down with the flu. Better today, but not until too late to head down. Glad to hear you scratched your itch. Lots of guys like the old Colts and indeed they were fine weapons in their day. Lots of them are wore out though. If you didn't feel right about it, it probably wasn't right.

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 160user, 204guy, 1badf350, 67 invisible), 2,789 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,192
Posts18,503,481
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.