Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I have an '01Ram 2500 Quad Cab with HO Cummins/ 6 speed manual. With 3 little kids now, I need a full 4-door pickup. I really like this trick and would be happy keeping it til (if) it falls apart, but need more interior room.

If I get another diesel, it'll be a 5.9 Cummins, probably Mega Cab. So not looking for any other Diesel recommendations.

The gas trucks I'm eyeballing are: F150, Ram 1500 and Toyota Tundra

Criteria are: Rear seat legroom, power/torque, fuel mileage and reliability. Something on the 2008-2011 year range. What year did Dodge go to the bigger back seat area? The 2003 series 4-door isn't roomy enough (except the Mega Cab).
Would like to have room for 3 in the front seat too, but that might be asking too much.

"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul."

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Pardon the typos, fat fingering on the phone.

"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul."
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
One issue is manual transmissions are getting difficult to come by. One will likely loose mileage if he goes automatic.

1Minute
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Auto trans is fine. I prefer manual, but they're scarce these days

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by ShootDogs
I have an '01Ram 2500 Quad Cab with HO Cummins/ 6 speed manual. With 3 little kids now, I need a full 4-door pickup. I really like this trick and would be happy keeping it til (if) it falls apart, but need more interior room.

If I get another diesel, it'll be a 5.9 Cummins, probably Mega Cab. So not looking for any other Diesel recommendations.

The gas trucks I'm eyeballing are: F150, Ram 1500 and Toyota Tundra

Criteria are: Rear seat legroom, power/torque, fuel mileage and reliability. Something on the 2008-2011 year range. What year did Dodge go to the bigger back seat area? The 2003 series 4-door isn't roomy enough (except the Mega Cab).
Would like to have room for 3 in the front seat too, but that might be asking too much.

I'll bet your Dad, or surely your grandpa, would have laughed loud and long at your a$$ had you told him he needed to buy a truck with a bigger backseat.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Yup. My Dad actually built one of the first half-campers that eventually motives into the extended cab. He put one together out of plywood, then a few Yeats later someone made 'em commercially. Not sure his was the inspiration for it all, but he never seen one before he made it, then they started popping up. Shoulda tried for a patent. That was back in the 50s or 60s...before my time.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Back to the question though; any pros or cons to any of the above trucks?

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Toyotas are damned near bulletproof, and mostly built in the U.S.

Fords are VERY good trucks, and crazy comfortable.

Dodge, got bailed out.

I'd be considering only two of the original three you listed, for those reasons.

BTW - you can fit 3 in the front of an F-150, and mo' betta in a '250.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Yeah I know Dodge got bailed out (again), but as far as I know, they paid it all back. GM (as I understand) has made plenty of profit to repay us, but refuses to do so. Cummins is the only diesel engine I'd have in a pickup, which limits me to Dodge. I'd really like to stick with the 2500 diesel, but gas is a Loy cheaper and some of the gas 150/1500 trucks get a bit better mileage than the 2500/250 diesels.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
Toyotas are damned near bulletproof, and mostly built in the U.S.

Fords are VERY good trucks, and crazy comfortable.

Dodge, got bailed out.

I'd be considering only two of the original three you listed, for those reasons.

I'm with VA on this one. I have an '07 F-150 Screw 4x4 and love it. 5.4 3v auto with 3.55 LS gears. combined city/hwy economy is around 17 or better and hwy is 19+. It has 116,000 miles on it and all I have replaced is the front brake pads and the spark plugs.

I don't eat anything that didn't have a mother.
IC B3

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
I think the Ford will probably get better gas mileage than the Dodge or Toyota. A friend of mine recently traded in his Chevy Z71 extended cab pickup for a Toyota Tundra with the 5.7 V8. He thought he'd get much better gas maileage with the Toyota. He is very disappointed. His old Z71 got 20mpg on the highway and the best he has ever gotten with his new Toyota is 17mpg on one trip to west Texas. I drove a Toyota pickup with the smaller V8 for a couple of weeks while my Dodge diesel was in the body shop. The Toyota with the small V8 was very underpowered and only got 14mpg highway. I have 3 friends that have new crew cab Chevy trucks and they really like them.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Buddy of mine went from a Ford to a Dodge recently simply to keep a manual tranny. Happy with the power, but took about a 20% hit in diesel mileage.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
ive got a 05 dodge 2500 w cummins ,best damn truck ive ever had, next new truck i buy will be another dodge with a cummins in it. Fords diesels suck, you couldnt give me one of those unreliable pieces. Chevys are ok but i like my trucks to have a solid front axle as i acutaly use my truck off the black top; If you have a diesel now, your not going to be happy with a gasser. As far as toyotas, reliable they sure are, but a truck they sure aint, They've had to many problems with rusted frames, for me to live with, not to mention even when they arent rusted they are weak. go find yourself a 07 5.9 cummins mega. www.cumminsforum.com

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by victoro
I think the Ford will probably get better gas mileage than the Dodge or Toyota. A friend of mine recently traded in his Chevy Z71 extended cab pickup for a Toyota Tundra with the 5.7 V8. He thought he'd get much better gas maileage with the Toyota. He is very disappointed. His old Z71 got 20mpg on the highway and the best he has ever gotten with his new Toyota is 17mpg on one trip to west Texas. I drove a Toyota pickup with the smaller V8 for a couple of weeks while my Dodge diesel was in the body shop. The Toyota with the small V8 was very underpowered and only got 14mpg highway. I have 3 friends that have new crew cab Chevy trucks and they really like them.

Love my 2008 4wd Tundra. My "little, underpowered" V8 averages about 17.8 but will do better with a lighter foot. I do wish the truck got twenty miles per gallon.

It's a bullet-proof ride though. Does everything I ask of it and more.
It's an '08; gave 18,200 for it with 70K miles. Added airbags and popped my Lance on it. It pulls the Lund like this perfectly.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by VAnimrod

Why do you say that?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Toyota makes vehicles to last and last as far as I can tell.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a Tundra and love it.
The only thing I wish is that Toyota would put their diesel engine in it. They make one heck of a diesel for the rest of the world, just not the United States.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I have had a few Fords over the years and no problems at all. My Ma and Pa just bought a 4 door f-150 with Ecoboost (6 cylinder I believe)that is very comfortable and they are getting 24-28 highway. May not be for you if you are pulling much, but if not its worth looking into.

I have a Nissan Titan which I know is not on your list, but it is the roomiest cab of all and I have been happy with mine. Best of luck in your search.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BikerRN
I have a Tundra and love it.
The only thing I wish is that Toyota would put their diesel engine in it. They make one heck of a diesel for the rest of the world, just not the United States.

That's because the Environuts and the EPA seem to think that diesel is very, very bad. IIRC Volkswagen's diesel is the cars has some of the best fuel mileage also.

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ShootDogs
Rear seat legroom, power/torque, fuel mileage and reliability.

Tundra is the hands-down winner in three of the four catagories, and about as good in the fourth (mileage.)

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

130 members (300_savage, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 29aholic, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 17 invisible), 1,531 guests, and 869 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,203
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.