Print Thread
Hop To
J
JRC280 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Considering a 2013 spring Idaho bear hunt. Anyone have any recommendations for outfitters?

GB1

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Russell Pond Outfitters.....I promise you won't be sorry !! Great people, great guides, outstanding dogs can't speak highly enough about there outfit. Joe and Chris good folks.

Last edited by GUSTHEDUDOG; 02/09/12.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We have LOTS of bears, please consider shooting two.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I would suggest Travis Bullock with Mile High Outfitters. He resides in Challis and can provide either hounds and/or bait type hunts. Success rates are near 100%. Check out his web site: http://www.huntidahoelk.com/

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Are you looking for color-phase black bear(s) or black, black bear(s) ????

IC B2

J
JRC280 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Looking for a color phase bear. Already have two black bears.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Idaho is a good place to get a color-phase bear, especially cinnamon phase. You might also try Colorado and New Mexico and Arizona. Those are also good states in which to find various color phases. But, if you are adamant about Idaho only, I'd look to the drainages within the Salmon River system.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Boise

smile

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Maverick940
Idaho is a good place to get a color-phase bear, especially cinnamon phase. You might also try Colorado and New Mexico and Arizona. Those are also good states in which to find various color phases. But, if you are adamant about Idaho only, I'd look to the drainages within the Salmon River system.

I have never seen a non-black color phase bear in the Salmon River drainage and can easily document having hunted there for far more than 100 days.

The Boise River drainage has a high percentage of non-black color phase. I would guess-ta-mate there is a 30-40% chance of getting a brown or cinnamon and only saw the one blonde. I've seen a blonde phase in Hells Canyon and some other non-black but seems to have a higher percentage of black.

Whichever guide you select should have data and probability information. I've only shot 6 bears and only taken up actually hunting them recently. Most of my observations have been during the spring whitewater rafting and fall hunting seasons.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I have never seen a non-black color phase bear in the Salmon River drainage and can easily document having hunted there for far more than 100 days.

The Boise River drainage has a high percentage of non-black color phase. I would guess-ta-mate there is a 30-40% chance of getting a brown or cinnamon and only saw the one blonde. I've seen a blonde phase in Hells Canyon and some other non-black but seems to have a higher percentage of black.

Whichever guide you select should have data and probability information. I've only shot 6 bears and only taken up actually hunting them recently. Most of my observations have been during the spring whitewater rafting and fall hunting seasons.

That's interesting, because many have been killed in the various drainages which make up the Salmon River complex. While I'm not intimately familiar with the Boise River complex, I'm sure there's probably excellent opportunity there, as well. And, the Snake River as you mentioned, also has good number of color-phase bear. But, based on my familiarity, I had suggested the Salmon Complex because of it's historic productivity in relation to multiple color phases. Idaho as a whole has produced a good number of color-phase black bear.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Man, I wish the area we hunt was a two tag unit.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi

Man, I wish the area we hunt was a two tag unit.

Here in Alaska, a majority of units have a three bear bag-limit and no closed season.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

That's interesting, because many have been killed in the various drainages which make up the Salmon River complex. While I'm not intimately familiar with the Boise River complex, I'm sure there's probably excellent opportunity there, as well. And, the Snake River as you mentioned, also has good number of color-phase bear. But, based on my familiarity, I had suggested the Salmon Complex because of it's historic productivity in relation to multiple color phases. Idaho as a whole has produced a good number of color-phase black bear.

I have no reason to doubt what you say. I am only willing to state what I know and that is I, personally, do not recall ever seeing a non-black color phase bear in the Salmon River drainage after hunting more than 100 days there.

Would you agree the OP should hunt south of Whitebird? I saw a bunch of bears on one spring Selway River trip and everyone was black. A friend from the Campfire went and got one - it was black

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No problem. Everyone has different experience within the same area. That's pretty usual, actually. I have a friend who hunts southern Arizona and he's seen nothing but color phase bears there. I've never seen a color phase black bear in those particular mountains of southern Arizona, even though hunting there the past 30+ years.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
My experience mirrors Maverick's. The Church and around Stanley have bears of every color you could imagine. North of there, especially in the Selway and even further N into the panhandle I have never seen a bear that was not black. Same with the Palisades area in E Idaho.

An outfitter in the Salmon or Challis would be my choice. Lots of color phase bears anywhere between Boise and Arco too.

Bottom line, I would hunt the central portion of the state.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ditto on that Doghunter.

The Salmon river drainage and south produces a lot more color phase bears than the Clearwater drainage and north where black is mostly the rule.

J
JRC280 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Thank you for the replies.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
I usually see 50 50 color phase in the Clearwater. Up in the panhandle seems bout 90 10 black to color phasej

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
There's lots of color phase bears in the Clearwater and Lochsa drainages. I'd say it's probably 50/50 black/colored.

I can't say for sure how good of a hunt these guys put on, but they're good, honest guys and hunt a great area. They hunt in the 2-bear units too if that matters to you. They take a pretty unique route in to their camp, and should have a huge area to their selves.

http://www.holeinthewallranch.com/outfitting.htm

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (17CalFan, 007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 1337Fungi, 10gaugemag, 71 invisible), 2,452 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,777
Posts18,477,000
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.