Print Thread
Hop To
#6131691 02/04/12
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Is there any advantage for a US citizen hunting in Ontario to have a PAL? I plan to be in Ontario for a couple of weeks in march, and might be able to take the class.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
No. I had one becase I was living there, bought and sold many firearms and brought a number back here when I moved. No need when visiting.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Is there any advantage for a US citizen hunting in Ontario to have a PAL? I plan to be in Ontario for a couple of weeks in march, and might be able to take the class.

Only if you plan on buying firearms or ammo while here, I think.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/visit-visite-eng.htm

RCMP regs should read Wabigon and other Non-Resident hunters.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Just show up at the border with the proper form off the website noted in triplicate unsigned or dated and you are good to go. Will need the US customs form upon return as well.

IC B2

Tony #6139061 02/06/12
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I am a US citizen and I go to Canada every fall. The PAL is a class you take which lasts for 5 years and then, with no infractions it re-ups for 5 more years. It is a credit card for your billford and a small piece of paper for each firearm. Nothing to fill out every year and no fee. So the $55.00 I spent up front has worked for over 7 years. I present it and my passport answer a few questions and away I go. I have never been stopped so I would do this program again without doubt. Check it out. I took my class at Gander Mountian and it took 3 1/2 hours. Buckfever1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Yes, IMO it IS a benefit for a Yank to have a Canadian P.A.L. if you are a regular visitor and want to have a firearm in your possession, while fishing a remote lake or other such activities.

The R.C.M.P. are a far different group than they were in "the good old days" and many of their members are "new Canadians" who have a very different cultural background and belief in what we consider individual "rights". These constables may well enforce Canadian firearms laws much more strictly than Mounties used to do and that is one good reason for having a P.A.L.

I would not have a gun anywhere near me in contemporary Canada, without my P.A.L. on my person. It is easy to get, the "long gun registry" will be gone in a month or two and it is just a means of avoiding "legal" hassles and worth getting for that reason.

K
K
Ok yes very good ^^"
Thai protesters prepare for the opening. คาส&a...;#3652;ลน์
I do not want money to flow out.คาสิโนออนไลน์

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kutenay
....The R.C.M.P. are a far different group than they were in "the good old days" and many of their members are "new Canadians" who have a very different cultural background and belief in what we consider individual "rights". These constables may well enforce Canadian firearms laws much more strictly than Mounties used to do and .......

Kute, you really have mellowed out! smile

Ted

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Yukoner
Originally Posted by kutenay
....The R.C.M.P. are a far different group than they were in "the good old days" and many of their members are "new Canadians" who have a very different cultural background and belief in what we consider individual "rights". These constables may well enforce Canadian firearms laws much more strictly than Mounties used to do and .......

Kute, you really have mellowed out! smile

Ted

Aw come on...he has always been a mellow guy....just differing levels of mellow.

Kutenay, welcome back, your wealth of info has been missed.
Jeff

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by buckfever1
I am a US citizen and I go to Canada every fall. The PAL is a class you take which lasts for 5 years and then, with no infractions it re-ups for 5 more years. It is a credit card for your billford and a small piece of paper for each firearm. Nothing to fill out every year and no fee. So the $55.00 I spent up front has worked for over 7 years. I present it and my passport answer a few questions and away I go. I have never been stopped so I would do this program again without doubt. Check it out. I took my class at Gander Mountian and it took 3 1/2 hours. Buckfever1

I would agree and did the same living there and crossing the border numerous times each year with guns both ways to my place in north Idaho. Worked fine. I believe he is going up for a couple of weeks in March?

Tony #6157143 02/10/12
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This old Alaskan has had a PAL for seven years and it saves me a lot of hassle on my frequent fishing trips or travel through Canada. Last year the Canadian Customs folks at Beaver Creek Port of Entry used me as a teaching aid for the new trainees that had not experienced the PAL carrying non-citizen.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Thanks. Any advice as to taking the course, or challanging the test after home study? Is the online study the same as the book? Thanks again!

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Contact someone from the Dryden Rifle and Pistol Club when you get up here, Richard. They put on courses and administer the exams. Yes you can challenge the exam, but know the material.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by VernAK
This old Alaskan has had a PAL for seven years and it saves me a lot of hassle on my frequent fishing trips or travel through Canada. Last year the Canadian Customs folks at Beaver Creek Port of Entry used me as a teaching aid for the new trainees that had not experienced the PAL carrying non-citizen.

That's because they know you need them for protection against those giant lake trout you catch over here. grin

Ted

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Thank you all. I am just back from passing the test for the PAL. I was hoping for a 100% score. I did get the 100 on the written test, but missed one by approaching the gun from the mussle end after crossing a"fence". I'll take the 100&95. Now the wait.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Just a pride buster, friend. Happens to the best of us. All you needed was 80 on each segment to qualify.

Congrats.

Brother Keith

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (222Sako, 1minute, 204guy, 10gaugeman, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 64 invisible), 2,253 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,694
Posts18,494,150
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.