Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
miguel Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I haven't had the opportunity to closely examine any of the new Leupold vx-2 riflescopes outside of a sporting goods store.I was wondering how the VX-2's compare to the older Vari-X II's and III's. I have several Vari-X III 1.5-5's, and love them, but how does the new VX-2 1-4x compare? The Vari-X III 2.5-8 has always been a favorite, but is the VX-2 2-7 comparable?

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have not been able to put my hands/eyes on one either, but have read everything I can find about the new model. They seem to have everything the VX-3 has EXCEPT the glass that allows for an exceptionally high amount of light transmission. I am not sure my trashy eyes will be able to tell the difference (got a botched catarac job.) It is likely the same difference as exists between the 6x36 and the 6x42. some see a difference, others do not. I need another scope and intend to try one in 3-9. jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I could be wrong but I'd think the slight increase in magnification and objective lens size of the older Vari-X III 2.5-8x might still give it the edge.

I think a lot depends on the vision of the user. I've got an FXII 6x36 that to me seems at least as bright as my VX3 2.5-8x36. YMMV.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I needed some bullets yesterday. Went to the local gun store that charges from 5 to 15% above MSRP for everything and they told me that they and all the local stores had stopped stocking bullets as they could not compete with the on line merchants. Suggested CheaperThanDirt or Cabela's. Once I get to CTD it is only about another eight miles out to Cabela's.

Looked over the VX-2 LR duplex. Two observations: I don't think my eyes can discern the difference in light transmission/glass quality between it and the VX-3-maybe at dawn or dusk, but I will take Leupold's word for it. Plus, lots of folks see a difference between the 6X FX-II and FX-III. I am satisfied the difference exists. The other thing was that I was disappointed with the tiny dots on the LR option. I am not sure how valuable they would be to me in the field. I may have to become a dial twister, or just go with another Burris, Eye relief is not a big issue on the intended rifle. jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
A note regarding ballistic reticles (B&C or B-Plex) vs. a dial. I just picked up a VX-2 with the CDS and that duplex reticle is much easier to use once it starts to get dark than any of the ballistic reticles. I am able to dial in a range and use the main reticle to, or beyond, dusk. The small tic marks on the ballistic reticles disappear much earlier, especially against a dark background. That was not why I went with the VX-2, just turned out to be a nice additional benefit I noticed when comparing side by side.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you're into taking LR shots at 400-500 yards or farther right at dusk, then you'll want to move up to the VX3/FX3 and use a turret.

M
miguel Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I'm not really talking about the long range reticle models, or shooting long range at all. I'm more interested in clarity, especially in low light. These things are critical for a low powered optic, like a 1-4x or a 2-7x, when hunting dark timber early or late in the day.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Miguel, you may want to go to the next level, VX-3. FYI, Cabela's has a free retrofit coupon for the VX-2, 3, and 7 until sometime in April, also free shipping for on line buyers. I suspect you pay shipping to Leupold for the fit. Good luck, jack

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What do you mean by retrofit coupon?

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
If you buy one of the scopes with CDS you get a 450 coupon for a free CDS dial from Leupold matched to your ballistics

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by pacecars
If you buy one of the scopes with CDS you get a 450 coupon for a free CDS dial from Leupold matched to your ballistics

I believe you get 2 CDS dials free with any VX2, VX3, or VX6 that you buy after 1/1/12. There's not coupon that I'm aware of, you just call up Leupy, give them the serial # and load data, and they'll send you the dial in about 3 weeks. After 2 free ones, if you want another one, you pay about $60 for it. Not sure where you get the $450 coupon thing.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I think he meant a $50 coupon and missed the shift key on the $ sign.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
As JG stated thats how it worked for me last year. Takes a while for Leupold to crank them out. I love mine !!!

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Yep Missed a shift so to speak. Just going by Cabela's website

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Do you know if the CDS dial will work on a scope with standard turrets?

I've got a couple I'd like to spin turrets on, and would buy a CDS or two if I could use the extra turrets on another scope.

Otherwise, will probably send in for an M1 - but I'm cheap enough to use the CDS and leave it uncalibrated and just use it like a lower profile M1.

Thanks,

DJ

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No, you have to send them in to get the CDS installed. You can't simply use the CDS caps on the regular finger-adjustable turrets.

If you're going to send it in anyway, you might as well get an M1 wink grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very interested in a review of the new VX-2's. My new Montana NEEDS a 2-7 LR Duplex to replace the heavier Vortex Viper it's wearing.

If 2nd amendment rights can be subject to licensing and fees, how was the poll tax unconstitutional?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
No, you have to send them in to get the CDS installed. You can't simply use the CDS caps on the regular finger-adjustable turrets.

If you're going to send it in anyway, you might as well get an M1 wink grin

That's sure what I'd do. I prefer the M1 by a fair margin, but might have tried a CDS if it came with 2 turrets so I could slap one on another scope. I'd use it like an M1 if I had one rather than going with the zero stop.

DJ

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I spent some time with the new VX-2 scopes at SHOT. I did not like the new fast diopter adjustment. There's a lot of play in the threads and no locking ring. When I put a small pressure on the diopter ring, the point of aim shifted - a lot. I talked to a Leupold engineer, who acknowledged the issue and said, "the point of aim will come back when you stop pushing." "Customers want the fast diopter focus."

Not confidence inspiring. There is way too much play for my taste. What if the brim of your hat touches the diopter ring when you aim? What if you use a scopecoat to protect the scope, or your rifle case puts pressure on the diopter ring during transport? Will the thread grease flow and cause the diopter ring settle in a different position? What if...?

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Excellent points Bruce! I actually really liked the old system. Get it right, lock it in place, forget about it. I was considering a new VX2 for one of my rifles, but I guess that could change...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (1minute, 1Longbow, 1234, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 59 invisible), 2,425 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,423
Posts18,470,700
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.