Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'll play ...

I didn't really know my father, but I got most all his stuff from Germany WWII that he had sent home.

When my mother died and we cleaned out all her stuff, dad's Army footlocker was still in her basement, but my sister's son wanted it, so I said OK.

A lot of mom's stuff ended up getting stuffed into the back of my garage - and only last Fall did I go 'back' into there trying to figure out what all was back there.

Stacked up along with some cardboard boxes was what looked like another box that was covered up with a throw rug, that had even more boxes stacked upon 'it'.

Lifting the rug, exposing the front side, I discovered my dad's army trunk. My nephew apparently didn't bother to take it, and I assume my cousins who were helping me move stuff over to our house had hauled it over to my garage. Here I've had my dad's old Army footlocker for all these years (over ten) without even knowing it. What a nice suprise.

So, just 'now' before responding to this thread, I grabbed a flashlight, went outside and lifted the garage door, waded through deep clutter, and again found the rug covered trunk. I lifted the rug - and the footlocker still looks like new - painted military olive green - and centered in the front panel is my fathers first and middle name initials, his last name in full, his rank 1st Lieutenant, and centered below his name is his Military Serial Number, all stenciled in white enameled letters.

He served in Germany during the War and was in the US Army Medical Corps. The Army was his life long career and he retired as a Full Colonel shortly before his death in the early 70's.

Footnote:

Somehow in the dark tonight, an un-noticed lawn rake apparantly leaning between the garage door and frame whacked me HARD upon the head when I slammed the garage door down. Not exactly a casualty or purple-heart.

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My recollection is that footlockers didn't travel. You were issued one at each duty station. Pretty basic piece of gear, nothing you'd attach any sentimental value to. Fairly heavy, too.

When I was discharged I bought one (vague recollection, probably surplus) and shipped much of my personal junk home in it by Railway Express. In 1960 that was the cheapest way to ship something like that.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have two footlockers that were issued to me in 2003, one from the ARNG that my extra gear went over to OIF in, and another that I got while over there. Both came home packed in CONEX's in a cargo ship, loaded with gear and other stuff. Both stored in the attic now, with much of the stuff still in them. Every Soldier in the unit got the same option.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dad brought some of his stuff home, but I never remember a chest. His was the typical stuff an infantryman ended up with- A duffel, his field pack, canteen, field jacket, some smaller war booty, but that's about it. Is it really worth getting this worked up about who had what and how they got it?

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dad brought his home from WWII. It sat in the barn full of junk until it finally rusted away. Wish I had preserved it. He was in India and on the lid was his Name rank and etc in English, Hindi, and Urdu.

Quando Omni Moritati
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
But I was in the U.S.Army.--Also your field jacket was a unit issue item and stayed with the unit.

Not in the U.S Army that I was in. I carried mine from basic to discharge and brought it home with me. Overcoat was a different matter. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
No foot lockers anymore, although we order Stanley tough boxes for shipping of gear in containers for deployment.

S
S
I have 1 of 2 of my grandfather's footlockers from WWII. My brother has the other one. My Dad kept his own footlocker for a while after he got out (50's), but he eventually tossed it.

Granddad's has his name and rank stencilled on both of them, so I know he didn't pick them up from some surplus store. He retired after 30 years as a full bird Colonel, and was a base commander. I garran-damn-tee you he was by the book 100 percent. He would have never just pilfered one (or more), so I believe the gents who are saying they were allowed to take theirs home.

I was USAF 80's - 90's, we didn't have footlockers, so I can't comment from a personal standpoint.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Still have my uncles from WW2, Kia August 44 France.
Scrounged up mine and shipped home in 67 RVN

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was still a kid when the war ended, and our eastern city had more than one "military surplus" store - those places were crammed with good stuff - a lot of it new. Had a big interest in miltary items and was getting into serious outdoor camping. For a birthday in 1947, everyone chipped in and gave me a total of $2.50 cash. I went to those places and got a plywood foot locker, folding trench shovel. mess/cook kit, compass, new rucksack, light sleeping sack, two shelter halves and a bunch of other odds and ends - all for that $2.50.

I still have everything except the rucksack (had some food in it on a hunting trip - bear tore it apart) and the shelter halves (gave 'em away). I use the foot locker and compass all of the time and other stuff occasionally. Good quality in those days. But, those shelter halves buttoned at the top (drip) and had no floor (trench) so early kid camping was buggy (sometimes snaky) and not in the least comfortable.

Times not to be known again.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
This day and age,the Miltary doesn't let you take anything home legally,not that they ever have....

But it happens............

[Linked Image]

Jayco

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have two wooden footlockers from the early 1960's, both shipped home full of stuff while I was in the AF. I also have my foster brother's from his Navy days in WWII. I dont know anyone who did not get away with field jackets, flight jackets, parkas, tools, whatever.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jnyork
I have two wooden footlockers from the early 1960's, both shipped home full of stuff while I was in the AF. I also have my foster brother's from his Navy days in WWII. I dont know anyone who did not get away with field jackets, flight jackets, parkas, tools, whatever.

WWII footlocker of my Dads is with my sister. All of the Nazi arm bands, etc. split up between, me, sister and brother. I have some kind of French (maybe) something or other rifle (I think 8mm), never really looking into it. Back during WWII I think much found stuff was sent back legally to the US.

Just in the last 2 years was this stuff even looked at.

Sad part was some was stolen by the care keepers of my mom near her end.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
In the back of my Jeep Cherokee there is a "retired" Vietnam era military, waterproof medical box. Inside it are a .45 acp and 500 rounds, a Savage 24 - .30-30/12 gauge with 200 rounds of rifle ammo, 50 rounds of slugs and 100 rounds of assorted loads, a Ruger .22/45 and 1,500 rounds of ammo, an LL Bean double sided ax, an Al Mar SMatchet, a two man tent, a small roll of 6 mil builders plastic, 500 yards of nylon rope, 1,200 yards of 250# test nylon string, a Glock entrenching tool, a folding nylon water bucket - a down sleeping bag and wool blanket, (The ground pad goes on top of the box, hiding it from view in the Jeep.) enough freeze dried food for a week - a fire starter and a couple of kindling sticks, water purification tablets, and last, but not least - a small medical kit with a couple of pouches of Medafor, this stuff will stop bleeding, serious bleeding,almost instantly. Great stuff (And I don't own any stock in the company!)

This water proof box cost me $15.00 at Ralph's Army-Navy Surplus and is one of the best buys I have ever made at the surplus store.

Terry

Barkoff Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bluesman
In the back of my Jeep Cherokee there is a "retired" Vietnam era military, waterproof medical box. Inside it are a .45 acp and 500 rounds, a Savage 24 - .30-30/12 gauge with 200 rounds of rifle ammo, 50 rounds of slugs and 100 rounds of assorted loads, a Ruger .22/45 and 1,500 rounds of ammo, an LL Bean double sided ax, an Al Mar SMatchet, a two man tent, a small roll of 6 mil builders plastic, 500 yards of nylon rope, 1,200 yards of 250# test nylon string, a Glock entrenching tool, a folding nylon water bucket - a down sleeping bag and wool blanket, (The ground pad goes on top of the box, hiding it from view in the Jeep.) enough freeze dried food for a week - a fire starter and a couple of kindling sticks, water purification tablets, and last, but not least - a small medical kit with a couple of pouches of Medafor, this stuff will stop bleeding, serious bleeding,almost instantly. Great stuff (And I don't own any stock in the company!)

This water proof box cost me $15.00 at Ralph's Army-Navy Surplus and is one of the best buys I have ever made at the surplus store.

Terry

You bugging out? eek

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bluesman

Terry

Reminds me of the punchline of the little old lady joke; "lady, what are you afraid of?" - "not a damn thing sonny!"

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I never met a GI that didn't help himself to whatever he wanted. There may have been some, but I never met them.

"If what I say offends you, you should hear what I don't say."
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I guess times and service branches vary. I never had a footlocker. When I was discharged (1971) I was sent home with all the issued uniforms, boots, jackets,ect. Maybe medical personnel are/were classed differently.

A month after I got out I got a new draft card in the mail showing my classification as 4A. That classification meant I was subject to recall during a national emergency.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

625 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 69 invisible), 2,735 guests, and 1,358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,412
Posts18,528,173
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.