-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have also heard that the mini 14 is fast twist and has better acuracy with heavier bullets.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
GB1

I
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I
For the life of me I can't understand why anyone would ever buy one. The AR15 is superior in all respects.

Incidentally, you can get an AR with a fast twist for shooting heavier bullets. I shoot 77 grain match kings. My twist is 1:7.7. I also shoot the pointier 80 grain match kings but those are too long to fit in the magazine.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Hey, it always worked for these guys!
[Linked Image]
Sorry, can't see or hear mini 14 without thinking of them grin

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The last Mini I owned would do 1.5-2" groups at 100yds out of the box.

There is a couple forums on the net that deal specifically with the Ruger Mini's. There are dozens and dozens of Mini owners on these two forums that claim MOA or 2 MOA accuracy every day. Some even claim MOA with cheap steel cased Military ammo.

I for one do not believe it foe one second. I have a Mini-30 and had another NEW Mini-30 Tactical, so I do know a little about the Mini and how accurate or in-accurate the truly are.

I issued a challenge to these MOA mini owners and anyone else who wanted to play, even offered a prize. The rules were simple, print out my selected target with a 2 inch bull. Set up at 100 yards and fire twenty rounds into the two inch bull.

Not one Mini owner on either of these Mini forums could meet the challenge. Some tried and failed, many refused to play, but continued to claim their Mini was and MOA rifle.

Well, there was one Mini owner that met the challenge, Me. Anyone here wana take the Mini 2 inch challenge? You can find it here.
http://charlie6.org/c6forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=147

http://charlie6.org/c6forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=147

Last edited by steve4102; 02/11/12.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I could really care less what you believe and I'll leave it at that.

Terry

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I don't think its a bad rifle, its just an overpriced rifle for what it is. A mini for $450 would be about right. A stainless steel mini 30 would be OK. I have owned 3 of the mini's, they all worked although none of them accurately. The big issue for me now is all the talk of firing pin breakage and having to send the rifle back to ruger to replace the firing pin. So true or not I will not own one with the thought that the firing pin breaks with some regularity and that the rifle has to be sent back to Ruger to replace it. You can pick up an AR 15 firing pin anywhere.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yeah, I figured that. Sounds pretty familiar actually.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by jimmyp
The big issue for me now is all the talk of firing pin breakage and having to send the rifle back to ruger to replace the firing pin. So true or not I will not own one with the thought that the firing pin breaks with some regularity and that the rifle has to be sent back to Ruger to replace it.

Yes it is true, Ruger will not sell pins to it's customers, Gunsmiths or anyone else. A broken pin requires a trip back to Ruger, unless you want to try one of the Aftermarket pins that do not last long. Also, if you have done any modifications to the Mini, Ruger may refuse to work on your rifle. Then you are left with a Tomato Stake.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

300 yds Mini Tuned target barrel. 1/2 blind brother. He only has one eye he can focus with, the retina detached on his other eye and got pasted back on but didn't take too good. 5 shots 2 in same hole. Not so bad.

[Linked Image]

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
I
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by steve4102
Originally Posted by jimmyp
The big issue for me now is all the talk of firing pin breakage and having to send the rifle back to ruger to replace the firing pin. So true or not I will not own one with the thought that the firing pin breaks with some regularity and that the rifle has to be sent back to Ruger to replace it.

Yes it is true, Ruger will not sell pins to it's customers, Gunsmiths or anyone else. A broken pin requires a trip back to Ruger, unless you want to try one of the Aftermarket pins that do not last long. Also, if you have done any modifications to the Mini, Ruger may refuse to work on your rifle. Then you are left with a Tomato Stake.

Statements like this plus the earlier comment attributed to Bill Ruger about Mini14 accuracy, plus their specification of 3 MOA for bolt actions have left a bad taste in my mouth about Ruger rifles. I have never owned one and see no reason to do so.

Even if Ruger tried harder, there are several reasons an AR15 will outshoot a Mini14. First, there is no operating rod to clash and bang around. Second an AR15 has no bedding. If you free float the hand guard, you will almost certainly outperform any Mini14. You can also add a Krieger barrel or a Jewell trigger.

There are currently 62 firms in the USA assembling AR15s. That should tell you something.

I think it is sickening that they won't let you replace your own firing pin on a Ruger.
An AR15 is designed for self maintenance, including changing the barrel.

Also, I am unimpressed with 2" groups at 100 yards with cartridges like the .223. Sounds more like a 30-30. The first load I shot for group with my AR15 put the first five shots into less than one inch, at 200 yards, with iron sights!!!

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
IC B3

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
The fact that there are 62 firms assembling AR15's tells a person no more, than that there are a [bleep] of folks out there that want a swoopy looking "gun" designed for and used by an agency who buys not the best, but the cheapest.

E
erickg Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
[bleep] sad, a true mini M1A that had the accuracy of its big brother would surely sell.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Before I retired as a LEO, we issued them to our troops. They could keep groups in the chest area of a silhoutte target at 75 yards, which is good enough. We got them with all the group discounts, and they were about $100 more than an SKS at the time.

As a LEO weapon, they're adequate. If you need spot accuracy, get the sniper on the scene. Iron sights, and even those not used to shooting a rifle could hit the targets. I don't think any of them were close to a MOA, and with steel cased Wolf ammo, the piston rusted to the gas cylinder or what passes for it, and was impossible to work the action. I called Ruger and they said it happens all the time and you have to oil the piston.

Looks like they'd have made those parts of SS, and maybe they have by now. Lesson learned; clean your rifle after shooting Wolf ammo.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I had one weld the op rod to the gas piston! Just kick started it like a motorcycle. (gun was empty)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I haven't seen any 300 yd AR targets posted yet, but I posted a mini target. I think there are lots of people here that own AR but probably haven't even shot them cause they're gathering dust in the corner of the closet. They brag them up but can't produce a target?????

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by erickg
How come Ruger cant make one that will shoot a decent group? Neat little rifles, they just suck in the accuracy dept. I know they re tooled and redesigned the rifle, but the half dozen 580 series I've had my hands on have all pretty much sucked. What gives? Are there just enough people who don't know any better and keep buying them, so Ruger doesn't have to bother fixing the problem?

you always get your info from the internet? I bet you have never in your life really shot one. laugh

Sam......

E
erickg Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
What would lead you to believe that azzphuck? It's right there in the post I have experienced the piss poor performance of 6 different mini's. Not a huge number, but enough to formulate an opinion, if you dont like it too bad

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I shoot my ar's pretty regular, weekly usually but not this weekend due to wind, I guess I have to bring home a target next time, I am getting about a MOA now with 65 grain SMK's over 25 grains of varget in WW cases and fed 205 primers. Noveske replace the recce barrel for me and its pretty accurate. The 62 grain TSX over 26.5 grains of TAC is OK in a cheap colt, it killed a 10 point deer for me this last year. Put $1500 in either rifle and I think you can make or buy a shooter. The firing pin thing is what worries me more than the accuracy on the ruger. I love the little rugers they are handy, fast, and just feel good in my hands. Wish life was perfect but sad its not.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No problem, sounds like you roll your own also. Canada is very restrictive on the AR but no problem with the mini. That's why more minis are sold in Canada than the AR. If more ranchers had purchased the AR, or labelled it a Ranch rifle then it wouldn't be restricted today. Crazy Politician immigrants and women running the country now. We are doomed.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 1936M71, 1Akshooter, 12344mag, 007FJ, 60 invisible), 2,375 guests, and 888 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,808
Posts18,496,405
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.