24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
KAG Offline OP
OP Offline

I have been messing with hydro graphics lately. I tore down, stripped, cleaned, primed, dipped, and then clear coated these. I also did my Burris MTAC scope and Burris PEPR mount. The camo pattern is Monster Marsh. I really like the pattern for the large expanses of prairie/grass lands I hunt.

I am very happy with the way it turned out. Sure some things could of been better but I did it myself and it was fun. I promise if I can do this so can anyone else on here.

At this step I had already scuffed or sanded. Applied adhesion promoter, and primer.

[Linked Image]

First couple of Pieces

[Linked Image]

After dipping I used a fan to dry the parts as it was pretty cold out here today.

[Linked Image]

After clear coating I put the upper back together

[Linked Image]

Put all back together

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx331/davemhughes/Hydrographics/mm6.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx331/davemhughes/Hydrographics/mm7.jpg[/img]

This is the pattern I used

[img]http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx331/davemhughes/Hydrographics/Marshcamo.jpg[/img]

GB1

T
T
You are killing me. Like I have time for this!!!!, Like I need another project.

I need details, where did you get the dip?, what did it cost? is it durable?

That looks fricken awesome. Details my man, details.

Paul

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by The_Wolverine
Details my man, details.

Paul

No doubt! This obviously was DIY but give us a clue! smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X3. That rig looks awesome! Nice work. Now cough up the details!!!!

A Veteran is someone who at one point in their life wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount up to, and including their life.

The King of Battle!

KAG Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by The_Wolverine
You are killing me. Like I have time for this!!!!, Like I need another project.

I need details, where did you get the dip?, what did it cost? is it durable?

That looks fricken awesome. Details my man, details.

Paul

In actual hydro graphic film and activator, maybe $15.00.

Supplies: Needed (Barely used any for 1 AR15)

Green scrub pad - $ 0.50
220 grit sand paper (plastic parts) - $ 0.25
Quality auto adhesion promoter (Spray Can) - $ 6.70
Quality Primer (Spray Can) $ 5.50
Quality Flat Tan base color (Spray Can) - $ 7.50
Quality Satin Clear Coat (Spray Can) - $ 8.00
8oz can spray activator - $18.00
Painters tape - $ 2.00
Walmart 18"x12"x10" plastic tub - $10.00

Wife's patience to take over her kitchen - $100.00 in roses for Valentine's Day

Go here, they have lots of patterns
http://www.watertransferprinting.com/Films.html

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I don't see where you can purchase the film/activator on that site...am I just blind?

KAG Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by hunt_ak
I don't see where you can purchase the film/activator on that site...am I just blind?

You have to call them at the posted number and let them know you want to buy a 3 meter roll. They sell other stuff, activator and such. I bought 9 meters of the ATACS camo and it was like $100 but its the only place you can get ATACS camo and they know it. Ebay has quite a bit of film and some it is dirt cheap, I ordered several patterns and they combined the shipping which made it a deal.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd lose that the 1st time I sat it down!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
very nice! cool

To play the game, you first gotta have game. - Ike Turner

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by KAG
Originally Posted by hunt_ak

You have to call them at the posted number and let them know you want to buy a 3 meter roll. They sell other stuff, activator and such. I bought 9 meters of the ATACS camo and it was like $100 but its the only place you can get ATACS camo and they know it. Ebay has quite a bit of film and some it is dirt cheap, I ordered several patterns and they combined the shipping which made it a deal.

Right on, thanks! 9 meters for $100 seems WAY reasonable! Is the stuff on eBay made by the same manufacturer or does the quality suffer with x-brand? How wide is the roll?

IC B3

KAG Offline OP
OP Offline
I have used the cheap ebay stuff for misc stuff and to learn with. It has been holding up well with no issues. They do have some good patterns cheap. I would say though that film from TWN Industries is professional grade film as many of the shops that charge you to do this for you get their film from them.

It is sold mostly by the meter but how it equals a meter is the issue to look for. Some is 15" wide. some is 39" wide but the W x L does equal a meter of film. On ebay there are a couple of them that sell if by the ft x 39" wide. Usually it is clearly stated. The Monster Marsh pattern was 39" wide by 10 meters long (32+ft) for $50 + $12 shipping.

Even at 15" wide x 3 meters it will be more than enough to do a complete AR or other rifle with a some left over film. I have been cutting and taping off healthy pieces. Much better to over size your dipping film by at least a third more than you need.....safer than sorry mentality.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Any experience on how this holds up? Durability? What you've done looks great!

I support world peace...one carefully placed round at a time.
KAG Offline OP
OP Offline
Had quite a few questions about durability. No problems so far. I have been thinking of something I could dip that will get lots of wear and tear to see just how well it will hold up to abuse.

So I did dip the outside of an aluminum 20oz travel coffee mug that I have been using all week with lots of coffee, bouncing around in the truck, and one run through the dish washer already. I will post a photo this weekend sometime of what it looks like....looks the same so far. I did not bake it after dipping so its just a straight dip, clear coat, and been using it all day everyday this week.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
This one got me going. Very nice. I have two questions, does the ink fill all the nooks in the stock and how the heck do you get the stuff off when you want a change?

A bore is a man that opens his mouth and puts his feats in it. -Henry Ford.
KAG Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by cheechako
This one got me going. Very nice. I have two questions, does the ink fill all the nooks in the stock and how the heck do you get the stuff off when you want a change?

yes it fills in the nooks and crannies if you go slow in the dip. As for getting it off....Zip strip or re-dip to a new pattern.

KAG Offline OP
OP Offline
A couple of other things....coffee cup. Same dip pattern but different base coats. You can change the camo by simply altering the base color.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

An AR 20 rd metal clip

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That looks neat! I am looking forward to hydro-dipping my Glock 27 frame in the carbone-fiber style int he enar future!

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 222Sako, 63 invisible), 2,395 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,546
Posts18,491,649
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.