Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
BooDude Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
My wife wants to get a pistol and of course I am very willing to oblige her. I have not looked much at .22 pistols since someone stole my Ruger Mark II years ago. I would not mind getting a new model Ruger, but does anyone have any other suggestions on .22 pistols that they like? I am also leaning towards finding a pistol that also comes in a larger caliber. That way she would not have to learn new controls if we get a larger caliber in the future. Main purpose is to allow a new shooter to have fun. I am open to either revolver or automatic. Money is a little tight, but I think I can go up to about $450 if I have to.

Reputation is what others think they know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your Honor and outlive the bastards. Ariel Vorkosigan
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ruger mk III of most variants will fit your bill ($). Purpose? Hunting? Plinking?? Target?? Purpose may define form (model). Hard not to like the idea of a SP101 22lr, but a bit more moola than you want to spend. Single Six/Bearcat is fun, but a bit tedious for long range sessions. Don't forget a Mk III 22/45. ... usually a bit cheaper than a similarly configured Mk III.

Used S&W? So many choices .... Good Luck and Happy Shooting!!

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
In that price range hard to beat a Ruger MK3. I have one and like it. Also I have a S&W 617 ten shot revolver that is equally nice, but obviously the two guns are different. Can't go wrong with either of these in my opinion.

NRA Patron
B
BooDude Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Purpose will be just plain fun for the most part. Informal target shooting and plinking though if I get good enough I might carry it for shooting small game. The Ruger 22/45 looks really good to me, going down to Cabela's to have my wife hold one.

Reputation is what others think they know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your Honor and outlive the bastards. Ariel Vorkosigan
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Okay here is my run down of MY favorite .22LR handguns. In no particular order because I love them all.

Ruger MKIII target (6 7/8 inch tapered barrel), put on a Hogue hand grip and this pistol is a dream to shoot. And I love the looks. Only minor complaint is the all black sights, easy to fix with a dab of white out or nail polish.

Taurus Tracker .22 revolver. This one is just plain old fashioned fun, and very accurate. I shoot this one more than my others because it's probably the most fun to shoot.

Walther SP22 M3, it looks like a crazy space gun ,but is very reliable and accurate. I need to spend more time with this one, but i like its "stupid" look. Feels great in the hand.

Sig Trailside, this one I don't own... yet, but the wood grip models have a great feel and I hear they are very accurate. It's probably gonna be my next purchase.

Browning buck mark. My dad owns this one, I think his is an older Camper model (he got it when I was 16... 15 years ago). I did a lot of shooting with this when I was growng up, Great piece of gear.

Walther P22. Used to own a short barrel, very accurate for a short barrel, I really wish it was a long barrel. I like the longer look better. traded it for my Ruger MKIII. talked my best friend into buying one though, so i can still shoot one when I want to.

Last edited by TysonT; 02/10/12.

A Veteran is someone who at one point in their life wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount up to, and including their life.

The King of Battle!

IC B2

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I shoot a Browning Buckmark Target with a 5 1/2" barrel. It is accurate and lots of fun to shoot. Should easily fit into your budget.

Nelson

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Ruger Mark III Target in stainless with 5-1/2" bull barrel. Leupold 2X EER with Leupold QRW rings. You can easily remove the scope and use the barrel sights with the mount in place. It likes CCI Mini Mags.

[Linked Image]

Suprised it's not illegal, just too much fun for the govt to leave it alone. smile

max

Old single shots and old loading tools.....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If your looking for a training .22, take a look at the S&W M&P 22. It is the same size as the M&P 9 and 40. I don't own one yet but I will real soon. I have done a lot of research and they get great reviews. I also really enjoy my M&P9 full size.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...001_750051_773655_-1_757781_757781_image

�A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.�
~George Washington

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by blackpowdermax
Ruger Mark III Target in stainless with 5-1/2" bull barrel. Leupold 2X EER with Leupold QRW rings. You can easily remove the scope and use the barrel sights with the mount in place. It likes CCI Mini Mags.

[Linked Image]

Suprised it's not illegal, just too much fun for the govt to leave it alone. smile

max

I'm picking one of them up from my dealer tomorrow...already have the Houge grips, Volquartsen innard do-dads & a Burris Fasfire to put on... wink

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Ruger has a new SR-22 that is double to single action, reported to be very reliable, slide stays open on the last round. It has all the same decocker and safety controls of larger guns. There are videos on YouTube. Personally the single six is my favorite but it doesn't sound like thats what your looking for.

Last edited by Tombstone; 02/12/12. Reason: incorrect spelling

"You've got to be slow in a hurry." Wyatt Earp
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Here is a bit of a different direction. These GSG 1911 22lr pistols are very similar to a full size 45. They say there is 80% interchangeable parts with a 191 45.

That way if you "need" a 1911 45 later she will already be used to the size.

http://www.gsg5rifle.com/item/2358_...2LR_5_10RD_NOT_FOR_SALE_IN_MN_OR_MA.aspx

USE ENOUGH GUN (Ruark) and YOU CAN'T EVER HAVE TOO MANY (me)
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Look on rimfire central, gunbroker, or other guns forums and wait for a Ruger Mk-II Government Competition, or Government Target. Best pistols Ruger ever made. They will cost the same as a new Mk III Hunter or Competition but are a better gun.

I don't like the Mark III because of all the "lawyer features" that have been added to the Mark III.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Not new, but you could look forever and not find a better .22 pistol for casual shooting than a S&W 2206. Or so says the proud owner of 2x the 4.5" and 4x the 6".

Jeff

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Anyone have experience with the new S&W M&P .22 pistol? I am tempted to get one but want to hear other people's opinions on it.

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Try the S&W forum on Rimfirecentral. Nothing happens in the rimfire world that doesn't get discussed on RFC.

Jeff

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Look at ruger mark II & III, but the browning buckmarks are pretty good.
My selection criteria if my rugers needed replacing today... anything you can use "the ultimate clip loader" to load from because those things are slick... and hard on the ammo budget too.

Hard to find many inexpensive 22 conversions, but a ruger 22/45 may be ideal if you want to mimic an eventual 1911 purchase.

Please report back what the wife liked and what you bought.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by humdinger

..... Hard to find many inexpensive 22 conversions, ...

But since I put one on my Kimber .... it has yet to come off .... its THAT much fun smile

Last edited by avagadro; 02/16/12.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I got to fondle one of the new Ruger SR22 pistols today at Cabelas. I was impressed. I already have a stainless MKII 6 7/8" tapered barrel, and a MKII 6 7/8" slabside. I'm still planning on picking up an SR22. Light, great ergos, nice sights, reasonable price.....

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by avagadro

But since I put one on my Kimber .... it has yet to come off .... its THAT much fun smile

I want a 1911, but not another expensive muzzle to feed so I haven't pulled the trigger on this one yet. The kimber conversion may be what I need to do.
I see Gander mountain selling browning 1911 22's for $399 and wonder if they can be converted to 45 later... hmmm...

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by avagadro

I want a 1911, but not another expensive muzzle to feed so I haven't pulled the trigger on this one yet. The kimber conversion may be what I need to do.
I see Gander mountain selling browning 1911 22's for $399 and wonder if they can be converted to 45 later... hmmm...

No, they cannot. It isn't even the same size.

Neither can the Kimber .22lr 1911, IIRC. Best to start with a "real" 1911 and get the conversion for it - or just get one of the GSI 22lr 1911 copies and get a separate .45.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 160user, 1badf350, 16penny, 1936M71, 57 invisible), 2,123 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,026
Posts18,481,740
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.