24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#6176000 02/14/12
OP Offline
Hey Guys new to the forum here,, just a a quick question, maybe one of you can help me out with a lil problem i am having.

First of all My lil Savage 99E is chambered in 6mm/30-30 AI a sweet lil rifle and im really looking forward to developing loads for it for coyotes and deer. I have the forming dies to build the brass from the 30-30 brass witch necks it down to the 6mm/.243 then run it through a full length rezizer then i load the brass with 30 grains of imr 4895 pushing a 90 grain berger match bullet to fire form the the final step of the case forming process.

The problem I am having is sometimes when i load a round into the chamber and close the breach and then go to fire ,,i get a faint/light click, not enough to drop the firing pin on the primer.Yet when i go to extract the cartridge from the rifle I only move the lever maybe 3/16ths to 1/4 inch and it trips the trigger and the round goes off? What im seeing on some if the fired brass is that the firing pin doesnt seem to make enough of an indent in the primer,, yet it does go off. My main concern is the rifle not firing when i pull the trigger at times,,yet fires when i go to open the lever.
i've heard that you guys are very knowledgable with these Savage rifles.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds like BUBBA had his way with that one.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
OP Offline
Originally Posted by 6mm250
Sounds like BUBBA had his way with that one.

Mike

Not Sure what ya mean about BUBBA but it could be a bad situation if i wasnt careful with it, Was maybe thinking that it may have something to do with the safty and trigger linkage.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You might start with pulling the stock and posting a pic of the sear/trigger/ bolt area.

I think you should load some dummy rounds, pull the stock off and cycle your dummys through until you see whats happening or not happening.

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1163424
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Sunsetrider2010
Hey Guys new to the forum here,, just a a quick question, maybe one of you can help me out with a lil problem i am having.

First of all My lil Savage 99E is chambered in 6mm/30-30 AI a sweet lil rifle and im really looking forward to developing loads for it for coyotes and deer. I have the forming dies to build the brass from the 30-30 brass witch necks it down to the 6mm/.243 then run it through a full length rezizer then i load the brass with 30 grains of imr 4895 pushing a 90 grain berger match bullet to fire form the the final step of the case forming process.

The problem I am having is sometimes when i load a round into the chamber and close the breach and then go to fire ,,i get a faint/light click, not enough to drop the firing pin on the primer.Yet when i go to extract the cartridge from the rifle I only move the lever maybe 3/16ths to 1/4 inch and it trips the trigger and the round goes off? What im seeing on some if the fired brass is that the firing pin doesnt seem to make enough of an indent in the primer,, yet it does go off. My main concern is the rifle not firing when i pull the trigger at times,,yet fires when i go to open the lever.
i've heard that you guys are very knowledgable with these Savage rifles.

What follows is pure speculation:

The light click you detect while pulling the trigger is the trigger releasing the firing pin. The firing pin does not move freely forward to strike the primer because something is binding it. Whatever it is that is holding up the firing pin fall is moved out of the way by the slight reposition of the bolt caused by the slight downward movement of the lever.

Have you pulled the butt stock, fully disassembled and cleaned the mechanism including the bolt and firing pin? If not, there might be old swarf and/or accumulated crud that is holding up the firing pin fall.

End of speculation.

Grogel Delux posted some dang good advice. I would be very Leary of putting live rounds in that rifle until everything is fully sorted out.

The 6mm-.30-30 would be very cool to play with. What twist barrel?

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
my first thought was clean the firing pin ,and like others said try firing old rounds [dummys] to see if anything is hanging up on base of f pin.

be interesting to know ser no of gun and if it came with a 243 barrel or is the barrel after market..
norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

OP Offline
It is actually P.O. Ackley Barrel custom fitted to the gun, Just talked to one of my gun smiths and he is gonna go through it and see what the issue is

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sunsetrider2010
It is actually P.O. Ackley Barrel custom fitted to the gun, Just talked to one of my gun smiths and he is gonna go through it and see what the issue is

Let us know what he finds.

Everything you now do is something you have chosen to do. Some people don't want to believe that. But if you're over age twenty-one, your life is what you're making of it. To change your life, you need to change your priorities.

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

96 members (444Matt, 338reddog, 79S, 2ndwind, 257_X_50, 35WhelenNut, 14 invisible), 1,615 guests, and 860 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,295
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.